947 Cycle Challenge 2019

Neville Bailey

There is a post on PEMBI on FaceBook of someone that picked up an Edge!!

can you please share a link to this, thanks.

edit.

Found it, thanks.

Edited by Veebee

• Replies 927
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fairly decent ride untill about 1km from the finish when my chain came off and got stuck between the crankarm and chainring. Freewheeled untill this guy slowed down and pushed me for extra momentum in order to keep going.

Just need to learn to stay with a bunch and not trying to catch a faster bunch which I did not manage to do and the original bunch came flying past after burning so much energy that I could not get back in...this was about 3km's before the woodmead offramp. Then a lonely ride to eventually finish.

I saw 'n cycling glove and a helmet on the road yesterday - was still wondering how one loses a glove and a helmet?  :blink:

Saw a guy cycling with one shoe and the other shoe fastned on his top tube, he spoke to another guy who asked him what happened but could not hear when I passed them.

Saw a spectator lady under a moon blanket near Hyde park , any ideas what happend

I saw the medics busy with chest compression/CPR on a gentleman between Hide park and Fournos around 8am ish. If I have to speculate, I presume a spectator and not a cyclist

Witnessing that did create a gray mood for the remainder of the race!

I saw 'n cycling glove and a helmet on the road yesterday - was still wondering how one loses a glove and a helmet? :blink:

I saw a guy , on my ride home, cycling up Cumberland Avenue (next to Bryanston Country Club) without a helmet. A mate asked him where his helmet was, and he just gave a blank stare back.

How was the logistics of the bus and bike transport back to the start?

Our Club Chairman, and Carnival City Macsteel Race Director, did the 40Km on a tandem with a (blind) woman from one of the development clubs/groups our race supports. He found it extremely efficient, and very well co-ordinated. He was home by 2pm after starting at 09:30, a 1:40 ride time, and then the rest of the time waiting for the buses.

Just a matter of interest question.

I have always managed to eat on my  training rides for 947 without any problem and felt hungry. Yesterday I truly battled to get food down but forced it as I knew it was important.  I was literally gagging on each mouthful and did not feel at all hungry. Even when I finished I battled to eat and I normally have a good appetite.

Just wondering  why? Could it have been my body's reaction to the natural adrenaline as I really was so determined to finish.

Well done all.

My ride didnt go that well, went too hard from the start, then lost my garmin on malibongwe over those speed breakers, the mount broke and unit flew off. From there it was like riding blind, we rely soo much on tech.

Got dropped up Jan Smuts then had loads of people pass me, so sat up abit thinking I'm way off and there's no chance of doing a good time.

Picked up a good bunch on the M1, had some time to recover and went strong till the end. Finished in 3:02, was soo bummed about it. Had I know my times along the route, I'm sure I would have pushed harder.

Oh well, thats how it goes.

If anyone comes across a Edge 510, please let me know. My name and contact number is on the start up screen.

Cheers

HELLO Veebee

Have a Look here, Post on Facebook.

post-91605-0-86942500-1574060140_thumb.jpg

I found this year harder than last and was about 5 mins slower- but logged 87.4km/h down Witkoppen. Fastest I've ever been on a bicycle. Just as well I wasn't watching my Garmin - probably would have k@kked myself!

I used to do a training ride from Florida Park to Fourways and back in the afternoons along that part of Witkoppen and often did over 80km/h there. :-)

[emoji15][emoji25] Sho... what happened?

Not sure, someone here talked about a crash that took the rider down. Anyone have more info? It was a very sobering moment to see this rider who - like the rest of us -  left home in the morning to enjoy an day on the bike, never to return. 

An emotional ride for me; my best friend and cycling buddy for the past 10 years unexpectedly passed earlier this year and for the first time in 8 years I rode the 94.7 on my own. A tough ride - literally a trip  down memory lane...afterwards I joked with friends and said that at some stage during the race I wasn't sure if tears were for my late buddy or for the wind ;) !

On a sentimental note, I rode with his Garmin watch which, incidentally still had his 2018 94.7 logged in the history. This was also the last race we did together:

post-36036-0-02146600-1574062073_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Karooryder

Video snip doing the rounds on whattsapp about footage taken in the neutral zone showing a cyclist travelling at high speed taking out other cyclists. 

Well done all.

My ride didnt go that well, went too hard from the start, then lost my garmin on malibongwe over those speed breakers, the mount broke and unit flew off. From there it was like riding blind, we rely soo much on tech.

Got dropped up Jan Smuts then had loads of people pass me, so sat up abit thinking I'm way off and there's no chance of doing a good time.

Picked up a good bunch on the M1, had some time to recover and went strong till the end. Finished in 3:02, was soo bummed about it. Had I know my times along the route, I'm sure I would have pushed harder.

Oh well, thats how it goes.

If anyone comes across a Edge 510, please let me know. My name and contact number is on the start up screen.

Cheers

https://www.facebook.com/groups/190031251065777/permalink/2597779430290935/

Person that lost his Garmin edge name is Vivek Bishun.

I think you should edit your post to remove the phone number, or type it out like VeeBee did in his original post.

Video snip doing the rounds on whattsapp about footage taken in the neutral zone showing a cyclist travelling at high speed taking out other cyclists. 

Someone just showed me that at the office. Hectic!

Only thing that makes sense is that his brakes failed because he was coming into that right-hander at lightning speed, no-way he was making that corner even if there was nobody there....

I saw it yes...........scary stuff.......

Brain failure or brakes?

And if it was brakes......how do both brakes fail in the first 1km of the ride????

Edited by Spinnekop