Repair or Replace?

slickjay007

Hi All,

So i'm at my wits end with my MTB tyre that keeps going flat. The tyre in question is a Spez Fast Trak Gripton 2 which I've had for about 2 years now.

I've plugged a puncture on the side wall twice now (see image) but every time it seems as though the plug is not sealing the hole and eventually the tyre goes flat within a day.

The question is now, do i replace the tyre seeing that it is a side wall puncture or is there another method of plugging the hole successfully?

Repair - What method?

Replace - What brand and model tyre. Tyre still has a bit of wear left (see image)

post-75287-0-32780300-1563860531_thumb.jpg

post-75287-0-80699000-1563860539_thumb.jpg

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What about putting a patch on the inside of the tire? Just make sure it is super clean before patching it ... Use meths or surgical spirits or something similar

Something i learnt the other day...my back tyre kept going flat...it turns out the rim tape wasnt holding the tyre on the rim tight enough...apparently it is called burping...when the tyre releases air between the rim and tyre....which could have resulted in another bad accident.

After the last flying incident...which resulted in R8500 worth of ER visits...xrays and doctors bills...my advice... replace the tyre with a reputable brand like maxxis ...it is not worth the risk of a blow out....especially if it is a front wheel tyre...and that goes for all old worn/damaged parts...my last accident was from a stretched chain which apparently caught up on the chain ring (called chain suck) you live and learn. 

Edited by eccc whippet

Something i learnt the other day...my back tyre kept going flat...it turns out the rim tape wasnt holding the tyre on the rim tight enough...which could have resulted in another fly lesson...apparently it is called burping...which could have resulted in bad accident.

After the last flying incident...which resulted in R8500 worth of ER visits...xrays and doctors bills...my advice replace the tyre with a reputable brand like maxxis ...it is not worth the risk of a blow out....especially if it is a front wheel tyre.

I hear what you saying...sounds all too familiar. 

Fanie i've used both types

toss the tire

I had a conti that did the same. thin plugs wouldn't seal, put in a fat one and it sealed (for a while)

eventually tossed the tire.

toss the tire

I had a conti that did the same. thin plugs wouldn't seal, put in a fat one and it sealed (for a while)

eventually tossed the tire.

What replacement do you recommend? the Fast Trak has awesome rolling resistance so looking for something similar.

open up..clean....stitch, apply some vulcanising compound over stitched area...patch on inside then...use until dead 

worth a try imo

Edited by morneS555