New brakes for trail hardtail (Cura vs Guide vs Shimano)

Falling Over

Hi all,

I need to replace the stock Tektro brakes on my hardtail (Trek Roscoe), with something with more power. They are struggling to stop all of my 92kg's with conviction. I mainly ride dry & rocky technical trails here in Gauteng, and want to do more enduro style events as well.

Current options that fall in my budget are: Formula Cura, SRAM Guide RSC (Formula and SRAM both currently on special online), or Shimano SLX or XT (I can push the budget to XT if needed).

What are the opinions? I have read good things about the Cura's and SLX brakes, and too many mixed opinions on SRAM Guide's in general. Stopping power and control is important for me.

Alternatively, should I wait for the new SLX 4-piston M7100 to become available?

Your opinions are appreciated.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I also had the Tektro's on my Stumpy, they were the first things to be replaced.

Had a set of Cura's in mind, but the sale fell through, replaced them with a set of SLX's eventually and couldn't be happier. They stop. That's all I need. They don't have much modulation, but I like the on/off feeling from them.

Rode a Levo with Guide's on a demo day, they also felt a bit squishy for me to be honest.

Have XT M8000's on my bike, not particularly happy with them. They work, and you eventually stop, but only eventually. Have had them bled, serviced, blessed, cursed and many other things in order to get them to be better. 

Fitted Jagwire performance pads (the red ones), and they do brake a bit sooner now, bit still need to plan your braking well in advance. Compared to my Magura MT5's with Trickstuff Pads.... well there is no comparison. 

https://enduro-mtb.com/en/best-mtb-disc-brake-can-buy/

I have XT M8000 on the one bike and Guide Ultimate's on the other.  For me they're both good.  They operate slightly differently but they're both powerful and I can modulate both at high speed with no issues.  I'd say the Guide's are more outright powerful (both bikes are running 203/180 rotors) but that may just be in feel - I've never felt that the XT's are ever causing me to run on further than I want to be.  

I've ridden a bike with Cura's and they are also great.  Good power and modulation.  I'm not overly a fan of the long(er) levers but I guess that's a personal problem.  

Guides (RS are more than adequate) with metal sintered pads. Be sure to get a bleeding kit with it compatible with the Bleeding Edge fitting.

Also used Shimano SLX in the past and they are great for the price. Easier to bleed than the Guides overall but you "have" to use their Shimano hydraulic fluid (I just used 2.5w suspension fork oil with zero issues).

Last thing to consider is cockpit integration. If you are running a Sram drivetrain and shifters, the Matchmaker integration is absolutely flawless. Shimano shifters obviously play nicely with the Shimano brakes

Edited by the_bob

Hi all,

I need to replace the stock Tektro brakes on my hardtail (Trek Roscoe), with something with more power. They are struggling to stop all of my 92kg's with conviction. I mainly ride dry & rocky technical trails here in Gauteng, and want to do more enduro style events as well.

Current options that fall in my budget are: Formula Cura, SRAM Guide RSC (Formula and SRAM both currently on special online), or Shimano SLX or XT (I can push the budget to XT if needed).

What are the opinions? I have read good things about the Cura's and SLX brakes, and too many mixed opinions on SRAM Guide's in general. Stopping power and control is important for me.

Alternatively, should I wait for the new SLX 4-piston M7100 to become available?

Your opinions are appreciated.

Guide RSC's are in your budget, but you can push your budget to XT if necessary???

I think you may be looking at the price a single Guide brake set (ie 1 x lever and caliper) vs a complete brake set (ie 2 x levers and calipers) for the XT.

RSC is top of the range and you will pay for that

Had SRAM TLMs. Swapped for XT 8000s. IMHO way better. When it comes to brakes, I've become a hardcore Shimano fan.

@Traveler. Something isn't right. They should be capable of locking your wheels outright without too much force being required.

Edited by MudLark

I like Shimano because the mineral oil has a higher boiling point than brake fluid, mineral oil also doesn't absorb water so you don't have to bleed them as often. I don't think XT is worth the price over SLX, SLX is very good anyway.

I also had the Tektro's on my Stumpy, they were the first things to be replaced.

Had a set of Cura's in mind, but the sale fell through, replaced them with a set of SLX's eventually and couldn't be happier. They stop. That's all I need. They don't have much modulation, but I like the on/off feeling from them.

Rode a Levo with Guide's on a demo day, they also felt a bit squishy for me to be honest.

Thing I have learnt about SRAM is that you just need to be able to do a decent bleed on them for them to be nice and sharp / direct.

Not sure all LBS's can take the time, or care to take the time to degass and bleed the SRAMS's properly.

Been doing my own and since I got the technique right it has transformed the brakes.

OP ... not sure what your rotor size is that you are currently running, but if you can get a 203mm rotor for the front and a 180mm for the rear, this also helps tremendously.

I would suggest waiting for the 4-pot SLX. Alternatively normal SLX is great! Shimano has a few perks IMO, such as extremely easy bleeding, brake pad availability and the use of mineral oil.

I would suggest waiting for the 4-pot SLX. Alternatively normal SLX is great! Shimano has a few perks IMO, such as extremely easy bleeding, brake pad availability and the use of mineral oil.

I want to test SRAM G2 which is the replacement for the Guides

"asking for a friend" ... andy idea when they will be out?

Odd that they chose to review the Deore over the SLX, but I am sure they had their reasons. But I found that entire review very helpful.

Last thing to consider is cockpit integration. If you are running a Sram drivetrain and shifters, the Matchmaker integration is absolutely flawless. Shimano shifters obviously play nicely with the Shimano brakes

Currently have Shimano, and would possible like to upgrade to the new 12x as well, so that is a consideration to keep in mind.

Guide RSC's are in your budget, but you can push your budget to XT if necessary???

I think you may be looking at the price a single Guide brake set (ie 1 x lever and caliper) vs a complete brake set (ie 2 x levers and calipers) for the XT.

RSC is top of the range and you will pay for that

One of the local online stores have the RSC's on sale at 30% off, which puts them on par with the other options cost-wise.

I do like the ease of use and the use of mineral oil. The brake pad availability is also important for me, and one of my concerns with the Cura's.

"asking for a friend" ... andy idea when they will be out?

Same. I have been trying to get info out of a few LBS, but nobody can give me an answer.