Bike Shop Damaged My Frame Issue - Help!

mrcg

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They are not permanently bonded to the frame. The epoxy bonds to the carbon, yes, but not to the plastic. The epoxy forms a snug hole for the cups to fit in. The cups can then be removed after if need be.

Look, I agree it's a stupid design. But the point I've been trying to make is: Stupid design or not, it was not a once of thing. It was common practice on these frames and every Spez dealer knew this. Cycles Direct have been a Spez dealer for many years. They should have known what the procedure is for these frames.

Sure the plastic ones were not permanent but the aluminum ones pretty much were.

Point I am trying to make is it seems the manufacturer created a loophole to shift blame to the installer, instead of taking responsibility by installing it themselves.

Plenty of Spez owners goes to shops that are not Spez "authorized" to touch the bike.  One would think the manufacturer would send out a bike that is good to go either scenario ... not one that has to be glued together.

Its actually a std repair and recommended for the Spez bikes by a few bb manufacturers. It why I wouldn't touch their press fit bb bikes. The actually comes out quite easily. However I would prefer to silicone glue the bb into the frame

Yup, the epoxy stays in and the cups can pop in and out. I prefer a screw rather.

Time for a new bike? Start a complaint thread and demand one? I got your back

Law of averages, its going to get smash, crash or stolen at some point. Its the longest a bike has lasted me. Hence why annual insurance update is done timeously, have you SEEN the price of the new super six. AND the high mod only comes with Dik brakes!

It looks like they are gambling that you won't take legal action. That's going to come back to bite them. 

I don't know what a replacement frame costs but small claims court is free up to R20k...

Last I dealt with small claims in 2013/14 the limit was R5000. Which year did it become R20 000?

On a separate note, How many high end Specialized frames would be recoverable through the small claims court specifically? I can't think that many.

coming back to the whole "we'll replace your frame...then later say no rather screw you" thing. .. here is what I think happened and why Spaz is probably mediating even though it is not their fault 

-OP already told us the story of what is wrong

-bike shop thinks they should be able to warranty claim it and politely emails spaz.

- spaz comes back and says....uhm nope, "obviously not installed correctly" warranty void.

- bikeshop realises that THEY voided the warranty...and would be liable for anew frame.

- bikeshop starts calling around for repair shops to find out what cost would be vs new frame.

- bikeshop emails OP and tells him..."sorry but screw a new frame...we'll fix it instead..take it  or leave it

- news travels and spaz sees a friday thread where a pitchfork mob is ready to burn the spaz witch. 

-spaz contacts bikeshop and asks difficult questions...

- bikeshop fails difficult question test

- spaz suspects that one of its "authorised" spezial workshops is not operating at the standards it should when it comes to building spaz bikes...steps in to mediate. 

or it's just friday at the bike shop too........

Edited by morneS555

Law of averages, its going to get smash, crash or stolen at some point. Its the longest a bike has lasted me. Hence why annual insurance update is done timeously, have you SEEN the price of the new super six. AND the high mod only comes with Dik brakes!

Do you need to epoxy those cups?

coming back to the whole "we'll replace your frame...then later say no rather screw you" thing. .. here is what I think happened and why Spaz is probably mediating even though it is not their fault 

-OP already told us the story of what is wrong

-bike shop thinks they should be able to warranty claim it and politely emails spaz.

- spaz comes back and says....uhm nope, "obviously not installed correctly" warranty void.

- bikeshop realises that THEY voided the warranty...and would be liable for anew frame.

- bikeshop starts calling around for repair shops to find out what cost would be vs new frame.

- bikeshop emails OP and tells him..."sorry but screw a new frame...we'll fix it instead..take it  or leave it

- news travels and spaz sees a friday thread where a pitchfork mob is ready to burn the spaz witch. 

-spaz contacts bikeshop and asks difficult questions...

- bikeshop fails difficult question test

- spaz suspects that one of its "authorised" spezial workshops are not operating at the standards it should when it comes to building spaz bikes...steps in to mediate. 

or it's just friday at the bike shop too........

Somewhere in there you should include this he was presented with this:

• I then get email stating three choices: 1. Sourced used, comparable frame with sign-off on frame by head office BUT any build costs are for me 2. New replacement frame BUT all required components and build costs for me 3. Repair old frame and sign off by HQ.

Then he did this:

I have refused to be liable for any follow-on costs based on the fact that this whole sorry saga was only due to their negligence and incompetence – despite me possibly getting a new and upgraded frame. I feel I need to be back in a position where I was before – with a fully ride-able bike, without having to pay a few hundred or thousand Rands to achieve this. I am quite determined to follow through on a legal route on principle, as well as expose them on all social channels. PS I have also spoken to Brand Head Office and they have apparently bent over backwards to accommodate the store with a discounted frame - but they are unable to pressurise store any further to do the correct thing.

So, long story short: what do you guys say? Am I wrong?

Then they did this:

• Update: final email is now for frame to be sent to Bogus to be repaired with a 6 month guarantee. As much as I value Bogus, this will not afford me peace of mind after 6 month warranty period is up.

Then he asked us this:

So, long story short: what do you guys say? Am I wrong?

I am leaning towards that OP over reacted but thats just me.

snip

i like my skewed version better, it doesnt consider ALL the facts, conveniently leaves out important bits and therefor makes for a better soap opera to rally the tribe so we can go riot.

It has a victim,  a scaly middleman and a big corporate bad guy pulling the strings :lol: 

Edited by morneS555

We should leave this "BB epoxy glue thing" for next Friday. Will make a nice Friday threat.

You don't even glue a BB to a Chinese frame...and thats a "FACT"...

Edited by Mongoose!

We should leave this "BB epoxy glue thing" for next Friday. Will make a nice Friday threat.

or go on offending bike shops insta feed and troll on all the new bike day pics

- "yes but is the BB glued in?..."

We can also cover how to get rid of noisy brakes and why Q20 on the brake pads does work to get rid of the noise.

... so I have heard  :ph34r: ... from a friend ... no seriously...

www.cyclesdirect.co.za    :thumbdown:  :thumbdown:  :thumbdown:

I am sorry, I missed the post where MRCG says it is cycles direct

Can you please point it out? I am lost as this has become mayhem and things aint adding up.

Edited by Eddy Gordo

But Dik Brakes are awesome!!!