Not all bad road users are on 4 wheels!

Richard F

Got to the top of Suikerbosse from the Camps Bay side yesterday morning, a group of about 20 riders at the usual stopping point, all well and good until I`m riding past them as 3-4 of them just decide to pull out onto the road in front of me, not one of them looking over their shoulders to check if anything is coming nearly get hit by 2 of them, sweet!. 3/4 of the way down Suikerbosse towards Hout Bay, doing 65 at the time and a genius on a MTB decides it`s a good time to pull over from the yellow lane to the outside lane for the harbour once again not bothering to look first, seriously mate, wake the **** up before you get on your bike not when I`m having to brake and shout out.

We love to slag off motorist`s for not looking and generally not giving a ****, and rightly so but, what about us?Anyone of the above could have finished me off, would it have made any difference to my family if it was a car or one of OUR!? team?

Dear Richard

It seems like you have had a rough morning. I'm sorry.

You are 100% correct. It's called the human element. 

Unfortunately, whether it's motorists, bike riders, golfers etc, some people (a lot of people) are just rubbish.

Any sport or event that involves lots of people always results in cheating, *** behaviour and disagreements.

It is the nature of man.

That being said, it doesn't take away from you feeling like these guys did this to YOU. Truth is, they don't care and probably felt you were attacking them and got mildly aggressive or internally annoyed at you when you did.

Let it go for your own sake. Humans are a plague and we ruin everything we touch. Accepting this is a big step in being able to not taking it personally.

Glad you're alive

Dear Richard

Unfortunately, whether it's motorists, bike riders, golfers etc, some people (a lot of people) are just rubbish.

Any sport or event that involves lots of people always results in cheating, *** behaviour and disagreements.

It is the nature of man.

That being said, it doesn't take away from you feeling like these guys did this to YOU. Truth is, they don't care and probably felt you were attacking them and got mildly aggressive or internally annoyed at you when you did.

Let it go for your own sake. Humans are a plague and we ruin everything we touch. Accepting this is a big step in being able to not taking it personally.

Glad you're alive

This post should be pinned somewhere hahaha too true.

Dear Richard

It is the nature of man.

Glad you're alive

Interesting that you suggest "...probably felt you were attacking them and got mildly aggressive or internally annoyed at you when you did." Big thing to assume.

Also interesting that very often in a reply, you bring up "cheating" or "doping". What's up with that? 

Just observations and not a personal attack.

Interesting that you suggest "...probably felt you were attacking them and got mildly aggressive or internally annoyed at you when you did." Big thing to assume.

Also interesting that very often in a reply, you bring up "cheating" or "doping". What's up with that? 

Not really an assumption, maybe an observation of human nature preceding by the word "probably"

Interesting that you should publish your observations

Just an observation, not a personal attack

Interesting that I should observe your observations

Not really an assumption, maybe an observation of human nature preceding by the word "probably"

Interesting that you should publish your observations

Just an observation, not a personal attack

Interesting that I should observe your observations

"probably" suggest you've already made the assumption.

Not sure why I wrote "Big thing to assume", when I actually meant "Odd thing to assume". Probably thinking one thing and wrote another.

Do you though? Somewhat of a copout for a valid question.

I actually understand exactly where you are coming from... I find myself often wondering why I'm so cynical, then realise that very, very often, my cynicism turns out to be true.

With regards cheating and doping, the human element unfortunately makes this fact. I know guys who cheat while playing golf with their mates. Guys who cheat while doing really innocuous 'fun' things. There is doping in almost all professional sport.

School kids all over the globe are caught doping. Again, the rotten human element.

I'm not saying all people are rubbish, but rather that when you get enough people doing the same thing, law of averages says you will get cheats and rubbish people doing that thing.

I saw hundreds of cyclists on the road this weekend. Rad. Guys and Gals on bikes. But that also means a greater chance that of those hundreds of guys on bikes, some will be rubbish.

We also tend to remember when we are wronged. If 500 cars pass you nicely and 4 buzz you, you will remember those 4. 

Last Saturday the same guy dropped in on me and two of my friends. Of the 20 odd guys getting waves at Dunes, the same guy. He just didn't care. When I asked him why he just turned my friend into a cigarette and smoked him, he zapped me and paddled up my inside.

With regards my 'assumption'...  In all the years of all the people who have cut me off, caused me to swerve/take evasive action etc only 1 has ever said 'geez man, you're right. I was in my own world, I'm so sorry. My apologies'... The rest all wave their hands, make rude hand gestures or just ignore you outright.

Very few people will admit they just behaved like a knob, especially when they just behaved like a knob.

I don't take it personally.. I just accept that a lot of people are rubbish and don't care.

I actually understand exactly where you are coming from... I find myself often wondering why I'm so cynical, then realise that very, very often, my cynicism turns out to be true.

With regards cheating and doping, the human element unfortunately makes this fact. I know guys who cheat while playing golf with their mates. Guys who cheat while doing really innocuous 'fun' things. There is doping in almost all professional sport.

School kids all over the globe are caught doping. Again, the rotten human element.

I'm not saying all people are rubbish, but rather that when you get enough people doing the same thing, law of averages says you will get cheats and rubbish people doing that thing.

I saw hundreds of cyclists on the road this weekend. Rad. Guys and Gals on bikes. But that also means a greater chance that of those hundreds of guys on bikes, some will be rubbish.

We also tend to remember when we are wronged. If 500 cars pass you nicely and 4 buzz you, you will remember those 4. 

Last Saturday the same guy dropped in on me and two of my friends. Of the 20 odd guys getting waves at Dunes, the same guy. He just didn't care. When I asked him why he just turned my friend into a cigarette and smoked him, he zapped me and paddled up my inside.

With regards my 'assumption'...  In all the years of all the people who have cut me off, caused me to swerve/take evasive action etc only 1 has ever said 'geez man, you're right. I was in my own world, I'm so sorry. My apologies'... The rest all wave their hands, make rude hand gestures or just ignore you outright.

Very few people will admit they just behaved like a knob, especially when they just behaved like a knob.

I don't take it personally.. I just accept that a lot of people are rubbish and don't care.

I really appreciate your honesty in reply and I have to sympathise with you. There are many occasions when all I see are "rubbish" people who don't care. My challenge is letting it not affect me so personally. 

During the Delta Dash this year, there was a guy who came thundering up the single track behind be, yelling "move left, move left"!!! Immediately I was put out. I yelled, as he passed "FK You, stupid CNT". "You move left, FK head". It totally ruined the rest of my ride. I was tired and grumpy. Feeling assaulted by this guy was totally unnecessary. 

Anyway, I do apologise if I have come across as a knob. I don't mean to interrogate or bait you on your distaste for cheats and dopers.

Edited by Simon Kolin

Got to the top of Suikerbosse from the Camps Bay side yesterday morning, a group of about 20 riders at the usual stopping point

I don't quite understand why people stop there and block the way for others coming through.

I try to encourage stopping at/in the side road going to the restaurant instead.

As for the descending, I agree that people should ideally look but shouldn't riders approaching at greater speed possibly take greater responsibly in managing the situation.?

Often riders don't have the experience to manage their speed let alone look back.

Edited by Thomo

With regards my 'assumption'... In all the years of all the people who have cut me off, caused me to swerve/take evasive action etc only 1 has ever said 'geez man, you're right. I was in my own world, I'm so sorry. My apologies'... The rest all wave their hands, make rude hand gestures or just ignore you outright.

You and Simon should learn to box.

Rather punch a knob off his bike than to wave a finger. Almost the same effort, far better result

You and Simon should learn to box.

Rather punch a knob off his bike than to wave a finger. Almost the same effort, far better result

I abhor violence. The thought of it actually crawls my skin. BUT I boxed provincially as sport as an adult. Love boxing. 

The tactics, the mind games, being that in touch with your body. It's great.

Hitting someone for being a knob or any other reason other than sport or survival? That just makes me an even bigger knob.

I abhor violence. The thought of it actually crawls my skin. BUT I boxed provincially as sport as an adult. Love boxing.

The tactics, the mind games, being that in touch with your body. It's great.

Hitting someone for being a knob or any other reason other than sport or survival? That just makes me an even bigger knob.

If I get sworn at, I get woes.

Got to the top of Suikerbosse from the Camps Bay side yesterday morning, a group of about 20 riders at the usual stopping point, all well and good until I`m riding past them as 3-4 of them just decide to pull out onto the road in front of me, not one of them looking over their shoulders to check if anything is coming nearly get hit by 2 of them, sweet!. 3/4 of the way down Suikerbosse towards Hout Bay, doing 65 at the time and a genius on a MTB decides it`s a good time to pull over from the yellow lane to the outside lane for the harbour once again not bothering to look first, seriously mate, wake the **** up before you get on your bike not when I`m having to brake and shout out.

We love to slag off motorist`s for not looking and generally not giving a ****, and rightly so but, what about us?Anyone of the above could have finished me off, would it have made any difference to my family if it was a car or one of OUR!? team?

Nice rant Richard.

Any comments as to being a self-confessed breaker of the law..... 

I hope that you at least rang your bell to alert any pedestrians of a speeding bicycle