Stuff you learn(t) the hard way by being your own mechanic

anybody seen george?

How many links does your current chain have? You may get away with a 34 without having a longer chain but 36 may cause the rear mech to over extend. Do you need a 96 or 104bcd ring 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, RobertWhitehead said:

How many links does your current chain have? You may get away with a 34 without having a longer chain but 36 may cause the rear mech to over extend. Do you need a 96 or 104bcd ring 

The existing chainring is a 104bcd 

I learnt that fitting a 2.25" tyre back to front on 36mm inner width rims, and then trying to remove that tyre to fix the rotational direction is a mission. It sticks to the bead like no one's business. I pulled the 2.45" Minion DHR 2 off with my bare hands yet this new Racing Ralph won't let go regardless what I try. I can't even get a tyre lever under the bead.

7 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I learnt that fitting a 2.25" tyre back to front on 36mm inner width rims, and then trying to remove that tyre to fix the rotational direction is a mission. It sticks to the bead like no one's business. I pulled the 2.45" Minion DHR 2 off with my bare hands yet this new Racing Ralph won't let go regardless what I try. I can't even get a tyre lever under the bead.

I've learnt that I feel like a poephol regardless of the tyre width every time I do that 😂. Sometimes the feeling is so bad that I pretend to not notice my mistake until the new owner points it out and offers to fix it :oops::whistling:

7 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I don't even know how many tubeless tires I've fitted ... And I still get it wrong now and then, case in point last week. Front wheel on my gravel bike .... Thought stuff it I'll just ride it like that, rode it once. Yesterday I swopped it around but ... Unlike the first time it didn't just inflate first time 😤 ... Took some effort

Lesson learnt, it'll probably happen again AND just because the first go was easy doesn't mean the second time will be!

6 hours ago, NotSoBigBen said:

I don't even know how many tubeless tires I've fitted ... And I still get it wrong now and then, case in point last week. Front wheel on my gravel bike .... Thought stuff it I'll just ride it like that, rode it once. Yesterday I swopped it around but ... Unlike the first time it didn't just inflate first time 😤 ... Took some effort

Lesson learnt, it'll probably happen again AND just because the first go was easy doesn't mean the second time will be!

Rebuilt the "Green Bike" 2 weeks ago.

MAN !!!!  The front tyre would NOT seat ....

I re-did the rim tape twice.  Double layered.

Eventually gerry-rigged a setup whereby I had a straight pipe from the compressor to the valve.

After all this agrivation the rear tyre slipped on like a glove.

At least now I have a "jig" to get more air quicker to those troublesome tyres ...  Saturday's jobbie went silk smooth, no chance to use my new toys ....

16 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Probably more just a tight bead than the width, some tyre / rim combos are just a bastard. 

Are you by any chance using gorilla tape instead of proper rim tape?

4 minutes ago, droo said:

Are you by any chance using gorilla tape instead of proper rim tape?

I'm not sure. I had the rim tape fitted by the LBS mid last year. It's a yellowish tape is all I know.

edit - more beige to be precise

Edited by Robbie Stewart

Just now, Robbie Stewart said:

I'm not sure. I had the rim tape fitted by the LBS mid last year. It's a yellowish tape is all I know.

Definately not Gorilla tape then, sounds like the normal bog standard plasticky nylon rim tape commonly supplied.

8 minutes ago, Danger Dassie said:

Definately not Gorilla tape then, sounds like the normal bog standard plasticky nylon rim tape commonly supplied.

I can tell you this about that rim tape though. If you get even a slither of it between the bead and the rim, good luck trying to pressurise the tyre.

Discovered as much during a ride at Banhoek. I had to bodge a fix with a plier, a pocket knife and a CO2 bomb. I still managed to finish my ride at least.

13 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

edit - more beige to be precise

Then it's the tyre, not the tape.

I've had to unseat a bead with a block of wood and a hammer before today, so know that you're not alone.

10 minutes ago, droo said:

Then it's the tyre, not the tape.

I've had to unseat a bead with a block of wood and a hammer before today, so know that you're not alone.

Thanks. Will it work if I soften the rubber a bit using a hair dryer?

14 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Thanks. Will it work if I soften the rubber a bit using a hair dryer?

Leave it out in the sun for an hour, that should do the job.

3 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Rebuilt the "Green Bike" 2 weeks ago.

MAN !!!!  The front tyre would NOT seat ....

I re-did the rim tape twice.  Double layered.

Eventually gerry-rigged a setup whereby I had a straight pipe from the compressor to the valve.

After all this agrivation the rear tyre slipped on like a glove.

At least now I have a "jig" to get more air quicker to those troublesome tyres ...  Saturday's jobbie went silk smooth, no chance to use my new toys ....

if you put a ratchet strap around the circumference of the tyre it limits the tyre expansion a lot and then from there the tyre inflates sideways first pushing the beads outwards. This often helps get tricky tyres to seat. There are youtube videos how.

1 hour ago, dave303e said:

if you put a ratchet strap around the circumference of the tyre it limits the tyre expansion a lot and then from there the tyre inflates sideways first pushing the beads outwards. This often helps get tricky tyres to seat. There are youtube videos how.

Even that did not work ....

Nope, in the last 8 years, this is thee hardest a tyre has ever fought me !!

But the new owner is NOW lining up for her first race on the Green machine.  All the troubles forgotten, now for the FUN to start.