Cape Epic or Bikepacking in Europe?

Mark62

I hear the BCBR is quite hectic........and this from a dude that has done the Epic 5 times.

Or was that the August?.............can't remember now........really the same thing right?   :ph34r:

Ja, indeed. I watched BKXC's vlog of the days' racing. Looks juuuust up my street, but I'd probably do the BC Bike Ride, not the Race. 

Helps that I've heard all about it from Muishond. 

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah. I see, thanks for the reply, allow me to explain my thoughts.(opinions of course)(but with merits of course;) )

1st off : you did the epic in 2008 when we still did the karoo2coast for 7 days in a row, and the cherry on the cake, you did not even finish the race.. The Epic is now a world class event where the best of the best -Amateurs and Professionals alike come together. It has evolved into something beyond most and any one and I mean anyone who has ridden this year respects the race, why, cause its such a massive privilege to be there.

So with all due respect sir, you have no idea what you're talking about. You haven't been there, you don't know, you're not one of us. Its just as well I do the Dakar(Also the top of that sport, also not affordable) and I get that one 3rd of the crowd barking about soutpanne, 4x4 rides in the dunes and extreme days in Botswana, people should stop doing that ****, why, cause u sound like an idiot

Backpacking or cycling in Europe should NEVER be compared with competing in the pinnacle of any sport, thats a holiday.. And yes i have cycled and raced in Europe, PLENTY, is it nice, ofcourse its nice, its more than nice, but again it should not be compared to the toughest mountain bike race in the world.

And please don't come with that “ You love and worship the epic with a epic tatoo on your leg BS” I dont give a **** about the epic, but i know u do, so please put your money where your mouth is and saddle up, judging from your profile pic you seem to think youre important, so maybe they'll give u a free entry.

Why are you being trolled slightly harder than your fellow hubber? Cause every-time their is a discussion on anything epic you give your strong negative opinion, ja ive noticed, thanks to that weird ass profile pic of yours(no offense bud)

You as a professional should lead cyclists towards the epic, not steer them away, your opinion on the epic makes you sound unprofessional.

Adios Amego.

O crap, almost forgot about the OP, theres a time for glory and theirs a time for holiday, each has its place. Depends on where you are in life, either way, you are so privileged to be in a position to choose, enjoy!

Bloody hell. This oke pisses Epic Kool-Aid. 

Before you ask, though, NO. I haven't done The Epic. And I probably never will. I don't see the attraction, and especially not at the price it's going for.

And there I thought you were 'one of us' .... I am disappoint!

I have done both .If you can't afford either then i feel for you .I wish i could bikepack through europe for 4 weeks ,but i work for myself and that is too long to be on a bicycle anyway .Was 2019 Epic worth it ? .Hell yes ! Just the added discipline and fitness when preparing was worth it .Backpacking through europe in summer with my family .Now that will be really awesome ,but two weeks max .Doing joberg2C with a hangover every morning was harder than Epic anyway .Bikepacking in europe should be on everybody's ,to do list 

hahahaha You did ask...

I have ridden Freedom Challenge, Lesotho sky, W2W, Epic, Trans NZ, Himalayan challenge, Trans Alps and many many many other big races on a rigid SS....

And no, I didn't go to Bishops... (laughs to himself) 

Chuck Norris, is that you? That is a serious list of races. On a SS that must be some kinda record, surely?

“LOL, the best of the best?“

Sauser - olympic champ world champ

Nino - olympic champ world champ

Rissveds - olympic champ world champ

List goes on and ...

Literally, and read carefully, I MEAN LITERALLY, every top South African Pro competes there. So gan praat k*k op n ane plek asb

How many of them were paid to be there, as a marketing drawcard? What about the other 1300 riders? Are they the best of the best of the weekend warrior pros?  :thumbup:  Sponsored entry fees, matching kit and a clever team name doesn't make you a pro. Even if you manage a top 500 finish...

Edited by GrahamS2

On a SS that must be some kinda record, surely?

It is not the SS that impresses me; it's the Rigid.

I have done one event rigid SS, Karoo to Coast a gee years back.

I missed something to take the relentless pounding and small vibrations out of my arms and hands far more that an extra ratio at the back.

I am in awe.

Edited by eddy

It is not the SS that impresses me; it's the Rigid.

I have done one event rigid SS, Karoo to Coast a gee years back.

I missed something to take the relentless pounding and small vibrations out of my arms and hands far more that an extra ratio at the back.

I am in awe.

literal picture of Jewie just moments after hearing that....

fc19803cf8de7538dbd331cd56797620.jpg

hahahaha You did ask...

I have ridden Freedom Challenge, Lesotho sky, W2W, Epic, Trans NZ, Himalayan challenge, Trans Alps and many many many other big races on a rigid SS....

And no, I didn't go to Bishops... (laughs to himself) 

I have since had my spy planes confirm this. 

Bud, massive respect, you have basically gone from 250th odd to top 3 on my GC list. 

Keep on trucking. 

I have since had my spy planes confirm this.

Bud, massive respect, you have basically gone from 250th odd to top 3 on my GC list.

Keep on trucking. [/quote

Guessing im number one then ey? Im flattered. Hey John as the biggest media stunt of your life, come do the 2020 Cape Epic with me, ill pay your entry. I give you this one chance to redeem yourself. One chance to regain you honor.

Guessing im number one then ey? Im flattered. Hey John as the biggest media stunt of your life, come do the 2020 Cape Epic with me, ill pay your entry. I give you this one chance to redeem yourself. One chance to regain you honor.

When you troll, at least do so intelligently.

JW needs no media stunt to be respected. He has earned respect through achievement, not through stunts.

He does not need any redemption except in your eyes.

He does not need you to pay his entry fee; he is a professional within a team that has an annual budget that would dwarf your lifetime earnings.

Edited by eddy