The Munga 2019

Ramrod

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The field is the biggest yet.Alex will have to be really organized .Many of the stops are nor suited to large numbers.

Ladies race will be interesting.

The field is the biggest yet.Alex will have to be really organized .Many of the stops are nor suited to large numbers.

Ladies race will be interesting.

genuine question...in what way?

pretty sure the field was more than 100 last year, and while it is going to be busy in the beginning, people won't be stopping for long. i know a lot of them are farmhouses, but you're expecting more of a trainstation than a hotel bed.

food

water

beds

medics

it actually gets easier to run a larger race field, as all the fixed costs stay the same but the budget can now stretch to the nice to have bits you couldn't afford before.

edit: ok WOW have looked at the results on trackleaders  that is some decent entry growth!!!

2015 - 34 riders

2016 - 46 

2017 - 83

2018 - 116

2019 - 152!!

Edited by Shebeen

Baie Dankie!

Baie name missing :(

Heinrich en Chris ...

Jeannie en Martin

Benky

To name a few

Anyway, kannie wag vir dot watching nie!!!

I think H is babysitting and with Chris you never know till the start. He is often never on the list, but just pops in to ride for a laugh.

Many of the stops are really small farms ,make no mistake the locals are life savers but space might become an issue.Remember most of the field is only trying to finish so their pace would be similar.

That means lots of riders at stops.But then again this is a solo type survival race so if there is no space just chill on the ground.Its the resting spots I'm referring to,,a nice mattress might not always be available.

Still no million dolla prize money...

To be honest I think that in order to achieve the million $ prize money entries would be considerably more. I think it is priced reasonably at the moment.

Not sure on the numbers, but looks* almost totaly SAfrican entry (apart from the 2 past winners). Wonder if this will ever get international traction?

*might be totally wrong here, they can be deceiving!

There is a guy from New Zealand riding as well. Think he did J2C as well

I think H is babysitting and with Chris you never know till the start. He is often never on the list, but just pops in to ride for a laugh.

I bumped into HV at a coffee shop, in the area where he works, a few weeks ago. He said he tried but just couldn't get the training rides in that he needed. Just wasn't possible with the baby. He also said that he could not justify spending the money on a race (Entry, travelling, accomodation for two, etc. Probably more than R30K) with a baby to take care of.

genuine question...in what way?

pretty sure the field was more than 100 last year, and while it is going to be busy in the beginning, people won't be stopping for long. i know a lot of them are farmhouses, but you're expecting more of a trainstation than a hotel bed.

food

water

beds

medics

it actually gets easier to run a larger race field, as all the fixed costs stay the same but the budget can now stretch to the nice to have bits you couldn't afford before.

edit: ok WOW have looked at the results on trackleaders  that is some decent entry growth!!!

2015 - 34 riders

2016 - 46 

2017 - 83

2018 - 116

2019 - 152!!

Moar dots!

moar dots.gif

2015 - 34 riders

2016 - 46 

2017 - 83

2018 - 116

2019 - 152!!

Aren't you mixing "finishers" and "entrants" here? Last year had close to 140 entrants, if memory serves.

Aren't you mixing "finishers" and "entrants" here? Last year had close to 140 entrants, if memory serves.

i just quickly looked at the leaderboards from the past.

it includes scratched riders, but not sure if that is all of them, and how many entrants didn't even start.

It does actually show considerable growth no matter what the case, and the impressive thing is that this is an extreme event, and (as someone who does this sort of thing) in my opinion a bit of a sufferfest.

I think the late bait and switch to crypto prizemoney is a poor decision, wonder how the development rider is going to explain to his family that even though he won R30k, there is no whiskey for christmas?! marketing bullsh1t of the highest order, and if it is done this late, after you have taken CA$H for entries and will no doubt be paying suppliers in CA$H then it should have seen an increase in prizemoney. thumbsuck says there is ~R3m from entries here so to spend equivalent ~R180k in prizemoney is skimping a bit ESPECIALLY when the original premise of this race was ONE MILLION DOLLARS.

BUT credit where it is due, and AFAIK the entry fees haven't been hiked either which would have been tempting i reckon.

Psssst.

Its raining lekker in Bloemies.

Sort that dust out a bit.

Cool things down

And sort some of the crazy corrugations.

fingers crossed!!!