The Munga 2019

Ramrod

Hi

Nope just an indication.

You can fall behind and make time up again as it happened last year with a lady. Cannot for the lifw of me remember her name. (and too lazy to search

Regards 

Paul

Nina Long if I remember correctly.. She's looking much better this year

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another dot I'm following with great interest is MK, Madeleen Kotze. She's a local lady here from Paarl and she likes her endurance challenges. A few weeks ago she also completed an Everest attempt outside Gordonsbay. Currently still moving at 220km just before RV1. Wonder how long she'll stop there, the Cut-Off dot is not that far behind her group of riders.

Mads (or Moekie as she is fondly called) is one tough cookie. Very determined. 

Gooi mielies, Mads.....

Got three friends riding (can I count Benky as a friend if I've ridden with him few times haha).

One of them bailed yesterday after around 200km.

He's a hard mofo with plenty of endurance riding pedigree (361, Baviaans, Ironmans and gravel riding is his thing).

For him to pull out tells me I would have lasted way less time / distance.

Conditions must be really ugly.

Edited by andrew5336

maybe lost in translation perhaps.

it's just the way he said it in his post.....of being 30 min ahead of the competition etc etc as in "i was murdering them and they weren't going to beat me but the heat beat me instead"

I think there was mention of going for the record (which he holds). He obviously had that goal in mind. 

In a race like this the conditions (heat, wind, road surface, etc) is the biggest factor that determines a fast time, or not. Given the conditions you have to adjust your goals accordingly. It doesn't matter how fit you are, or how well you prepared, if the weather conditions does not play along the record will be out of the question. 

Surely he could've made that judgement call and realized it's probably not going to happen. Rather re-adjust your goal and say i'm still going to try and win this. Ride more conservatively. The heat is going to kill me if I try and continue at this pace - which it did. 

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to look at the times set vs the weather conditions of past years. 

2016 - Heatwave, ridiculous head wind for the whole race. 

2017 - Cool temp even with some light rain, tail wind from the start. Probably as good as you can wish for.

2018 - Hotter than 2017 but no heatwave. 

2019 - Heatwave. Not sure what the wind is like out there.

Edited by hubbernero

What happened to myles?

Hope you're not referring to me... MUNGA is something that's nowhere near my bucket list, but I have immense respect for those people who have and are able to grind it out and finish, or even take part. 

Not my kinda thing, to be honest. 

Hope you're not referring to me... MUNGA is something that's nowhere near my bucket list, but I have immense respect for those people who have and are able to grind it out and finish, or even take part. 

Not my kinda thing, to be honest. 

Think he's referring to Myles van Musschenbroek - local pro who rides for Protouch.

The winner from last year also gets a free entry, so It's not like Ramses paid to be there...... 

Is it really R18000 per rider to enter?! Sheesh....

I would love to give this a crack but at this stage R18000 for a few days riding is well beyond my ability to justify.

The winner from last year also gets a free entry, so It's not like Ramses paid to be there...... 

I would love to give this a crack but at this stage R18000 for a few days riding is well beyond my ability to justify.

"Early bird" entry was R18K, after that it went up to R22K. Not sure until what date the early bird entry fee was applicable. 

This is exactly why I also only do like 1 race a year

Think he's referring to Myles van Musschenbroek - local pro who rides for Protouch.

Excellent. Vettes's attempt at a little jab earlier on in the thread made me wonder if he was. ????