The Munga 2019

Ramrod

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Righthand top click layers, select USGS Aerial

Thanks but as you enlarge it turns light blue. ???

Last year you could see the stones on the road.

I have a feeling Benky is pushing for Tankwa Padstal. Have a bit of rest there, 45min powernap, and then the final 150km push to the finish.

looking at race flow it seems benky has only really stopped once at RV3 for about an hour. could have got a kip but as it was mid afternoon Thursday, might have been just escaping heat.

then 60km down the road he had two roadside stops for about 90minutes,

Thinus almost caught up to him there, wouldn't be surprised if someone called him to say there was a bogey on his six!

On the other hand Thinus stopped for 2 hours at WP6 noon on thursday, and has now had 2 hours (EDIT:1hour) at WP9 (10:15am). he could well be loading up to chase benky down.

edit:tracker updated! thinus had a short stop, and seems to be riding fast.

pretty sure in the 6hours they were riding close last night there were mindgames happening!

Anything is possible between the two, even though they are probably running on fumes i don't think 3rd place can reel in the five hours.

Edited by Shebeen

Damn.  My Brother-in-law has withdrawn just short of 500km...

Epic effort.  Such a pity.

I see a farm house just short of 500. The person (dot) that I am following and urging on went past and then seemed to then go back and has since gone dof.  I am hoping that it is just to get some shade and sleep. Is your bil BN?

So it seems Thinus GPS was just slow to get going again.. just 8km behind Benky

Yes, took more than 40 min before an update.

Thinus looks like the stronger rider if you look at the race flow. He closes the gap easily each time.

Lekker black friday racing at the sharp end today. I might be a bit less productive at work today...

I believe Thinus is on a dual sus (Sworks epic). That's what he rode to a 2:29 947, so the guy should have no trouble keeping up with Benky on the gravel sections!

Edit: Poor quality photo

Wonder what chain ring he had on :) 42 or bigger??

Wonder what chain ring he had on :) 42 or bigger??

I asked him. It was only a 34! The guy is a machine!

Yes

That's him. He had a heart issue.

I see a farm house just short of 500. The person (dot) that I am following and urging on went past and then seemed to then go back and has since gone dof.  I am hoping that it is just to get some shade and sleep. Is your bil BN?

Meanwhile at the back of the field there are 5 riders behind the the cut 4 are on the move and KB resting up in Britstown. KB is a veteran of 2 Mungas in her first, riding with tackies she kept us enthralled as she kept going despite the fact that she had no chance of finishing in time, I think she got to about 800km when the race was cut. Last year she absolutely breezed through to a very competent finish, this year it looks like she is being tested to the limit. The one thing you can bet on is that she won't give up easily.