Hydration Backpack opinions

VirenB

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't read the whole thread, but my 2c in any case....

I owned a Cambelbak Mule for nearly 10 years, it lasted extremely well and did everything I wanted it to. The only reason I started shopping for a new one was because the Mule started having a real funky smell to it even after washes, to be expected with the amount of use it got.

I was going to replace it with another Camelbak, but at the time I was shopping I could only find brightly coloured options in SA, and I wanted a black backpack. Then looked at Osprey (one of the guys I ride with raved about it). Ended up buying the Raptor 10 model. It is awesome - the tool roll at the bottom is great, keeps weight low and keeps stuff nicely organised. The bladder is easy to fill, but the bite valve is not quite as nice as Camelbak's. The hip straps are great, it puts the weight of the pack on your hips rather than shoulders which helps with fatigue on longer rides. The only complaint I have is that storage space is a bit lacking on the 10L model, but that is all fixed by getting the 14L model - it is the same size, but has straps externally that allows for the bag to expand a bit should you want to take a warm top and one or two other items with you.

My current recommendation is the Osprey Raptor 14L for anyone looking for a pack. But... I have not used the new Camelbak models so can't really comment and say the Osprey is better - I am sure the new Camelbak stuff is just as good based on my previous experience with Camelbak. Either way, you won't go wrong with either option. Both brands have exceptional warranties and look brand new even after years of use, which for me justifies the higher price tags.

Has anyone tried the Leatt hydration packs?

Love Leatt's products as a general rule, but their hydration packs are not well thought out at all. They are stiff and do not conform to your body. The smaller option has nearly no storage space, the bigger option is massive. IMO they need an in the middle option... but can't say I would recommend their hydration packs at all - not with the amount of excellent options you have. 

I use my salomon running pack on my bike now(new bike only has 1 bottle cage)

Honestly it is more comfy, bounces around less. I can access food better as well. I also prefer soft flasks, in general over bladders.

Edited by dave303e

Been using a Mule for 5 odd years now. It's still going strong. I replaced the Camelbak bladder about a year ago with an Evoc 3L bladder. I wasn't happy with the Evoc bite valve, so I replaced it with a Camelbak bite valve. 

I've been eyeing the Henty as well as the Raptor, but the Mule is working fine at the moment (read: spousal spending moratorium in effect).

post-37016-0-51015200-1570104557_thumb.jpg

Haven't read the whole thread, but my 2c in any case....

I owned a Cambelbak Mule for nearly 10 years, it lasted extremely well and did everything I wanted it to. The only reason I started shopping for a new one was because the Mule started having a real funky smell to it even after washes, to be expected with the amount of use it got.

I was going to replace it with another Camelbak, but at the time I was shopping I could only find brightly coloured options in SA, and I wanted a black backpack. Then looked at Osprey (one of the guys I ride with raved about it). Ended up buying the Raptor 10 model. It is awesome - the tool roll at the bottom is great, keeps weight low and keeps stuff nicely organised. The bladder is easy to fill, but the bite valve is not quite as nice as Camelbak's. The hip straps are great, it puts the weight of the pack on your hips rather than shoulders which helps with fatigue on longer rides. The only complaint I have is that storage space is a bit lacking on the 10L model, but that is all fixed by getting the 14L model - it is the same size, but has straps externally that allows for the bag to expand a bit should you want to take a warm top and one or two other items with you.

My current recommendation is the Osprey Raptor 14L for anyone looking for a pack. But... I have not used the new Camelbak models so can't really comment and say the Osprey is better - I am sure the new Camelbak stuff is just as good based on my previous experience with Camelbak. Either way, you won't go wrong with either option. Both brands have exceptional warranties and look brand new even after years of use, which for me justifies the higher price tags.

I got a tool roll with my new Camelbak Kudu 10. Really lekker little thing. That pack is also pretty rad. Lots of neat and nifty storage spaces.

I never got on with a full camelbak, sweaty, moves around as it gets lighter. After much trial and error I landed on this for my longer rides (which assumes 5 hours plus).

1 Bottle (big Camelbak Podium Chill in a cage on the bike with whatever go juice in it).

1 Tool bottle with all the tools in on the lowest cage.

Camelbak Race Vest with water, and maybe an electrolyte tab in it.

Pros to the Race Vest:

No pressure points.

Will not move as it get lighter.

Acts as a base layer.

The lovely feeling when some kind helper fills it with cold water on a hot day.

No storage.

Cons to the race vest:

When it's full you look like Quasimodo.

It is a real pain to re fill if there are no kind helpers around

No storage.

I've found that combo works best for me on longer rides.

Anything under 5 hours and it's 2 bottles and tools in pockets.

Been using a Mule for 5 odd years now. It's still going strong. I replaced the Camelbak bladder about a year ago with an Evoc 3L bladder. I wasn't happy with the Evoc bite valve, so I replaced it with a Camelbak bite valve. 

I've been eyeing the Henty as well as the Raptor, but the Mule is working fine at the moment (read: spousal spending moratorium in effect).

attachicon.gifmule.jpg

jou ma se!!! how did you get that badge!!

I use my salomon running pack on my bike now(new bike only has 1 bottle cage)

Honestly it is more comfy, bounces around less. I can access food better as well. I also prefer soft flasks, in general over bladders.

soft flasks..like this.. whilst riding?

1125553.jpg

anyone on here try a mtb(cycling) specific hip pack ?

I'm very keen but it's a lot of dosh to just "try"

jou ma se!!! how did you get that badge!!

A buddy who works for NASA sent it to me after I sent him a few links about what it really means, and how Saffers responded (3 years ago IIRC).

soft flasks..like this.. whilst riding?

1125553.jpg

Yebo, you don't have to take them out of the pockets to drink with the Salomon race vest.

1 with rehydrate, 1 with water, no bouncing around and lighter than bottles #weightweenie