2020 Tour de France

pista

I doubt any of the bigger teams would be willing to risk their "investments" for a short term return. Some of the smaller teams might though.

Was it Alain Prost who said he had "no need to risk his life at this point in time"  at the beginning of an F1 race when it was raining heavily, while lots of other drivers, not having the luxury of being able to call the shots, went ahead and raced?  

Niki Lauda?

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Niki Lauda?

Possibly . . . . 

Edit: No, I think there was an occasion that Niki didn't want to drive but did in the end -  its in the film about him, but Prost said no and didn't change his mind.

Edited by Bonus

Possibly . . . .

Edit: No, I think there was an occasion that Niki didn't want to drive but did in the end - its in the film about him, but Prost said no and didn't change his mind.

Yep. It was the race that he then crashed in and sustained the burns to his face and lungs

Yes they own the Tour and a large stake in Vuelta along with the likes of Dauphine, Pais Vasco and Catalunya for example. All big hitters in terms of races. 

Its not only fans attending races its having teams in hotels and making protocols and health restrictions on that and never mind having a team of 30 people at supper and there 4 teams eating at 8pm.

and its total movement of people on a continual basis...not even from point A to B...The logistics of this race is immense even on a non-challanging day or basis but the threat of a invisible virus and no immunity or vaccine etc it makes it more perilous... there will be no easy way for the tour to race..

So what are the odds its going to happen as re-planed?

I would sat 20-30%, if that.

Until we have an idea of how cases are once lockdowns are lifted and whether there is a feeling the pandemic can be under control, i would say the dates are tentative.

I supposed it gives some focus for teams to prepare and focus towards.

It's hard for me to see the moving circus of any Grand Tour materialising this year as the solution for the problem is proving to be very elusive - the Holy Grail that is the vaccine.

A one day race like World Champs or the Classics on a self-contained circuit is more possible.

In a year, definitely, will be Giro time, barring some unforeseen chaos.

Governments will be nervous. Very.

Edited by 'Dale

Watching videos  with hordes of people shouting and in each other's space and jostling for position on the climbs of pre-pandemic races already looks weird and "wrong". Our perceptions of what we consider good and appropriate behaviour are already changing. Indelible? marks on the collective psyche I wonder.

I doubt any of the bigger teams would be willing to risk their "investments" for a short term return. Some of the smaller teams might though.

Was it Alain Prost who said he had "no need to risk his life at this point in time"  at the beginning of an F1 race when it was raining heavily, while lots of other drivers, not having the luxury of being able to call the shots, went ahead and raced?  

Niki lauda, 1976 finale....and James Hunt went on to win the championship...Lauda refused to start because of the conditions...but since everybody else brought there big boy pants and was ready to go...he ended up starting anyway. He pulled into the pits after the second lap and parked it though....and retired from the sport (for the first time...)

Sure Prost would too, for sure. 

There was a reason why he was called the professor, always calculated and thinking about the long game...he did just that (lobbied that the race be stopped) in the rain right before a rookie Senna almost beat him to the flag in monaco

There will always be guys willing to prove their grit against whomever is considered the best at the time...and they'll ask for armageddon to be put on hold so they can have a go. Also never underestimate the top guys/teams' motives in the larger scheme of things. it's all politics.

They say that in context to hopefully influence the outcome.

...watch how fast they decide to start if everybody else does.

To finish first, first you must finish...or start for that matter lol

Edited by morneS555

Sorry I should explain . . . .

If the race had been cancelled, the spectators would have been entitled to some sort of a refund. By pushing on with the race, no refunds had to be given and the teams that didn't participate (on grounds of safety) took the brunt of the anger.

Not fair, but when there's BIG MONEY involved . . . . .

Just think how long its going to be for air travel to start opening up for business as usual.. airlines are taking a massive knock.

We all took for granted how we could be teleported to anywhere in the world in a dozen or so hours.