The toolbox thread

100Tours

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some pics of my trolley that follows me around my bike.

329a8d6c1e22a862427a963425f3fd65.jpg

c8e151a548350bcf99e1ee02b65e9f97.jpg

3257f3d714831d1b80146ec259ce3786.jpg

Where did you source the foam for the cut outs? Density; thickness and process of neat cutlines? Tips would be appreciated

Half the people reading this thread now want that set.... including me!

Think they need a BikeHub discount

bpm

Like ouzo, I have posted this in other threads that seem to have been forgotten.

About 2 years ago looking for a house to buy, one of my key requirements was a garage/workshop. In NZ many people park in their driveways/on the street and so garage's are not as big a thing. MANY houses do not have them. So this was a little challenging, especially considering how little one gets for their money here (currently in my area one is will be looking at about R15m equiv for a 3 bed, 2 bath, 120sqm 1950's house on about 500sqm land. It is MENTAL).

Anyway, so with the crazy prices, it meant that I had to settle for a carport in stead of a garage.

Fortunately the carport had electric doors front and back, and the "open side" was semi closed in my the property fence.

In order to convert this into my little man cave, I relined the walls with ply, added racking, and a few other touches.

Here's the basic idea.

IMG-20190608-WA0008.jpg

The "open" wall, bounded in by the fence.

20190714_121104.jpg

After lining it with builders plastic and ply

IMG-20191127-WA0002.jpg

After the bikes moved in.

20201115_211733.jpg

20201115_211804.jpg

The tools started to multiply :ph34r:

20201115_211739.jpg

The racking/shelving side.

aaand

20201115_211759.jpg

The little work bench (which can fold down), if I didn't have so much junk stashed underneath it.

There's still a lot I want to do to better organise the space, but my tools seem to be like a gas and tend to fill the volume of the space no matter what.

Some things have been invaluable, like the modular toolboxes (the AEG stack). These keep things organised, mobile and I can just grab the one I need, when I need it.

I have a DeWalt and Milwaukee 3 module box. One for general tools, one got bike tools and spares. I love them

Is that for a full set of Park Tool JIS screwdrivers?

JIS are very difficult to find in SA and with some kit they are vital to prevent stripping screw heads. They are widely used on photographic equipment.

No this is just for the 1 screwdriver.

But it has a cnc and knurled ally handle. And has a fantastic feel and weight to it.

Where did you source the foam for the cut outs? Density; thickness and process of neat cutlines? Tips would be appreciated

Foam is out of the Sram Eagle boxes for derailluer,cassettes etc. about 8-9mm deep.

Some items I didn’t cut full depth (like bits) where I angled the cut so the one end stands proud to have easy access.

The base blue layer is some 2mm foam from a art shop.

This was done by hand with a Stanley knife. Plan is to do the whole box with lazer cut foam. I wanted to test the idea. And it has worked fantastic.

I plan to use a similar foam for the final iteration.

Next little project for a tidy and efficient workbench. Version 1 of my cable tie holder. Loving the concept and easy access it offers on the workbench. This one holds 15 different cable ties. 7x100mm. 5x140mm. 1x200. 1x300. 1x370mm.

BLIKSEM!  Nice.  Now thats what I call organized!

Do you watch Last Man Standing? If you enjoyed Home Improvement then you should enjoy his new sitcom. It has Jay Leno in as well.

And they reference Home Improvement and some of his other work. My family loves that show.

Last episode we watched had Tim "The Toolman" Taylor fixing something in Mike Baxters house. I had to explain to my daughter why it was funny and the reference to Home Improvement.

And they reference Home Improvement and some of his other work. My family loves that show.

Last episode we watched had Tim "The Toolman" Taylor fixing something in Mike Baxters house. I had to explain to my daughter why it was funny and the reference to Home Improvement.

LOL ja. My wife didn't really watch Home Improvement but she knew the show so she at least gets some of his references. 

Next little project for a tidy and efficient workbench. Version 1 of my cable tie holder. Loving the concept and easy access it offers on the workbench. This one holds 15 different cable ties. 7x100mm. 5x140mm. 1x200. 1x300. 1x370mm.

813b0a84333547f4523187fea1202ab3.jpg

73d6490ae8ce1d3de2db3a1a0cfb33ba.jpg

ca30270bb9101b5e05b52aba9cc363e2.jpg

942a6c54c277fb928f26c3a8d6f2480b.jpg

this is making me feel guilty, really guilty - I thought my workshop was organised and now it needs a revamp

Do you watch Last Man Standing? If you enjoyed Home Improvement then you should enjoy his new sitcom. It has Jay Leno in as well.

I just enjoyed the first 4 seasons after that the actor swapping got ridiculous

My workshop has way to many jobs going on at once to look clean at all. Takes a special kind of dedication to keep them as clean as you guys...

Just the sawdust from the boat build is a nightmare, nevermind leaking motorbikes, and the chaos that a home renovation brings...

It is so bad I set up a 2nd toolbox inside the pain cave to do bicycle work.