The toolbox thread

100Tours

Eish, things learnt the hard way - quick link pliers are great - the double action ones (fasten and unfasten) look even better. Will have to investigate. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My dad always had lots of tools .... something of everything, but never well organized .... but with a racing background he certainly had most of it.

I was 20 years old when he passed away, and all the tools came my way. I was a second year air-con appy at the time. So I had a fair appreciation for what it was, and what to do with it. As you can well imagine it was an interesting mix of metric and imperial ....

I later bought a full set of Gedore spanners and sockets, then a decent set of screw drivers. At that stage I did not have a dedicated garage wall to hang the tools, so the tripple tier gedore toolbox did duty for some 15 years.

I then got the opportunity to put up a small tool-wall .... by now I had bought a small compressor and porta-pack and a decent assortment of power tools.

2008 we bought a new house and I had the luxury to move in over a 4 week period ... NICE !! I spent two weeks painting out the garage and putting up a new tool board, making custom brackets and pots for the screws, bolts, nut, etc .... Space above this for the power tools.

attachicon.gifIMG_6427.jpg

2010 life happened, and I had to make the garage bigger .... this time round I had a decent idea of what I wanted for the tools and work space.....

Spent a few bob on proper shelving, a new larger tool board, and a LEKKA work-bench ! Time for some new screw drivers, pliers, cutters etc .....

attachicon.gifIMG_6500.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_6534 (Small).jpg

Another board was put up for cycling tools, and is steadily filling up ... :whistling: :thumbup:

Having driven Leyland for years I always had a toolbox in the car. :whistling: This has been adapted over the years. Currently it is plastic container with 3 smaller containers inside it. Screw drivers and pliers in one. Spanners in another. Even a multimeter .... These are Midas tools, but perfect for low use standby purpose.

Would LOVE a small lathe ..... :drool: maybe just as well that I dont have the space for it .... :whistling:

Nice work area [emoji106]

I created a show us you shop thread during lockdown, that didn’t take traction.

This is my work shed. 6x3m behind the garage.

One wall is the garage, 2 walls of IBR and the 4th is a roll up garage door.

Not the best pics.

Far side bench is 2 old doors, other bench with the tool wall is a solid wood bench that I inherited from an old neighbor.

Most of the tool I accumulated over the years as I needed, some came from my wife’s late father.

post-10771-0-17405500-1611315702_thumb.jpeg

post-10771-0-21619400-1611315750_thumb.jpeg

I created a show us you shop thread during lockdown, that didn’t take traction.

This is my work shed. 6x3m behind the garage.

One wall is the garage, 2 walls of IBR and the 4th is a roll up garage door.

Not the best pics.

Far side bench is 2 old doors, other bench with the tool wall is a solid wood bench that I inherited from an old neighbor.

Most of the tool I accumulated over the years as I needed, some came from my wife’s late father.

Your bike repair stand is epic!

Like ouzo, I have posted this in other threads that seem to have been forgotten.

About 2 years ago looking for a house to buy, one of my key requirements was a garage/workshop. In NZ many people park in their driveways/on the street and so garage's are not as big a thing. MANY houses do not have them. So this was a little challenging, especially considering how little one gets for their money here (currently in my area one is will be looking at about R15m equiv for a 3 bed, 2 bath, 120sqm 1950's house on about 500sqm land. It is MENTAL).

Anyway, so with the crazy prices, it meant that I had to settle for a carport in stead of a garage.

Fortunately the carport had electric doors front and back, and the "open side" was semi closed in my the property fence.

In order to convert this into my little man cave, I relined the walls with ply, added racking, and a few other touches.

Here's the basic idea.

post-10758-0-61962900-1611521782_thumb.jpg

The "open" wall, bounded in by the fence.

post-10758-0-23254600-1611521870_thumb.jpg

After lining it with builders plastic and ply

post-10758-0-88590700-1611521924_thumb.jpg

After the bikes moved in.

post-10758-0-40746300-1611522280_thumb.jpg

post-10758-0-11310800-1611522343_thumb.jpg

The tools started to multiply  :ph34r:

post-10758-0-22026700-1611522227_thumb.jpg

The racking/shelving side.

aaand 

post-10758-0-28823000-1611522416_thumb.jpg

The little work bench (which can fold down), if I didn't have so much junk stashed underneath it.

There's still a lot I want to do to better organise the space, but my tools seem to be like a gas and tend to fill the volume of the space no matter what.

Some things have been invaluable, like the modular toolboxes (the AEG stack). These keep things organised, mobile and I can just grab the one I need, when I need it.

Edited by patches

Fisrt up is a bunch of knipex circlip pliers that iv'e dug out of peoples garages or spotted the orange handles on images from arket place and then go look for them. the side cutter I got while actually buying some of the snapring pliers , the guy pulled it out and asked if i liked knipex 

All of them are brand new and I only use 2 of the small ones when rebuilding brakes , the blue one i don't know its so old the name isn't readable anymore , but it feels nearly identical to the knipex ones when using it. the two metals ones I assume are very old due to them not yet having silicone sleeves or coil springs ( no idea how to date them tho ) 

the bottom 3 are my favourite 'bike' specific tools , park Ct-5 small but has never let me down , Park PP-1.1 pad spreader , works so much better then A butter knife and A unior 183 open ended ring spanner for opening and tightning brake fixtures , hope ones tend to get expensive and the general spanners builders sell always leave a little deformity , this thing has been perfect ever since I got it 

post-46013-0-36803600-1612008811_thumb.png

post-46013-0-93627700-1612008817_thumb.png

Fisrt up is a bunch of knipex circlip pliers that iv'e dug out of peoples garages or spotted the orange handles on images from arket place and then go look for them. the side cutter I got while actually buying some of the snapring pliers , the guy pulled it out and asked if i liked knipex

All of them are brand new and I only use 2 of the small ones when rebuilding brakes , the blue one i don't know its so old the name isn't readable anymore , but it feels nearly identical to the knipex ones when using it. the two metals ones I assume are very old due to them not yet having silicone sleeves or coil springs ( no idea how to date them tho )

the bottom 3 are my favourite 'bike' specific tools , park Ct-5 small but has never let me down , Park PP-1.1 pad spreader , works so much better then A butter knife and A unior 183 open ended ring spanner for opening and tightning brake fixtures , hope ones tend to get expensive and the general spanners builders sell always leave a little deformity , this thing has been perfect ever since I got it

I have a few Knipex tools but recently been buying most Connex tools.

338f0ea6b7ec2f1fa1923c617630d1af.jpg

I mostly buy 'Cheapex' (Irwin) as I often misplace pliers and the rust here in Auckland is a constant battle.

As for socket sets, like many of you I grew up dipping my hands into my Dad's Gedore set. Often forgetting to put spanners away when I was done  :ph34r:  :lol:

Here in NZ Gedore is hard to come by. So a few years back when I wanted to get decent, comprehensive set, for a reasonable price, I ended up with a set from Bahco (Swedish tool brand, now owned by the Snap-On group).

Started off with this set

bahs877.jpg?auto=format&fit=fillmax&h=21

Quality and tolerances seem pretty good. Does what I need it to.

I'm not sure if they're popular in SA. I can only find 1 supplier (Wantitall), and because they specially import them, they want over R12,000 for that same set. Insane! They retail for around $250 (approx R2700) here

Edited by patches