The toolbox thread

100Tours

As does anyone who’s ever raced a motorcycle. One of my most favorite tools! And agree, so satisfying to use and see you perfect twisty work.

Another essential tool for Japanese motorbikes, bikes and cars is a JIS screwdriver.

Worthwhile googling. They are difficult to come by though

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another essential tool for Japanese motorbikes, bikes and cars is a JIS screwdriver.

I learnt something today.

Going to check an old "philips" driver I have at home. Its always my go to when I have a stuck "philips" screw. Somehow its the one driver I have that never cams out.

I learnt something today.

Going to check an old "philips" driver I have at home. Its always my go to when I have a stuck "philips" screw. Somehow its the one driver I have that never cams out.

Me too. Never knew that. I am sure i have a few JIS bits.

But I think I know why it's not very common.

"pass me the JIS please" "Can I borrow you JIS?"

Agree, Philips tend to not seat nicely due to the shallow nature of JIS. I dont have a complete set but got a nice one from an old Kawasaki under the seat toolkit which I have kept. (Although almost always forget to use) Edited by WrightJnr

Park tool have one. They are a fantastic piece of kit. I have both the JIS and flat. Nice weight and knurled to make working when it’s oily easy. f6e0360676c4a9e05d95264faa0bdaf2.jpg

Park tool have one. They are a fantastic piece of kit. I have both the JIS and flat. Nice weight and knurled to make working when it’s oily easy. f6e0360676c4a9e05d95264faa0bdaf2.jpg

TAKE MY MONEY !!!!!

This is probably the tool that surprised me the most. I bought it very cheaply at one of those china marts as part of a set. I was actually looking for a short 1/2 inch drive extension I wanted to sacrifice and was not prepared to use a Gedore extension.

Nowadays this is the first tool I grab whenever I need to use sockets. As a matter of fact, it is now permanently living in my Gedore socket set. I find it extremely handy to use. It is quick to swap a socket from one end to the other when you need leverage or reach. Attaching a short extension to the short end gives you both reach and leverage. The knurled shaft makes it quick and easy to turn bolts or nuts by hand. I hardly ever use the ratchet now.

post-35118-0-77469300-1612586136_thumb.jpeg

Most of the time I will buy a tool when I have a specific need for it. This little socket set was an exception. It is a 1/4 inch drive set. I thought I didn’t really need it when I bought it. Only after starting to use it did I realise how much I actually needed it. It is surprising how much I use it now. Especially working on bikes, lawnmowers etc.

It also works great when undoing and tightening pipe hoses used mostly on cars and irrigation. No more struggling to keep the screwdriver tip located on a screw head that is trying its utmost best to rotate away from you.

All I added were some hex bits.

post-35118-0-12283700-1612587881_thumb.jpeg

Most of the time I will buy a tool when I have a specific need for it. This little socket set was an exception. It is a 1/4 inch drive set. I thought I didn’t really need it when I bought it. Only after starting to use it did I realise how much I actually needed it. It is surprising how much I use it now. Especially working on bikes, lawnmowers etc.

It also works great when undoing and tightening pipe hoses used mostly on cars and irrigation. No more struggling to keep the screwdriver tip located on a screw head that is trying its utmost best to rotate away from you.

That looks like a HEXA kit from Addendorf? I love those HEXA tools, really good quality and well priced

I have what looks like the identical tools, just in a different box. Its my only socket set and works hard.

I killed the 6mm allan socket on my pedals, but other than that every is still great.

Picked mine up at a pawn shop probably 25 years ago.

Jap bikes specifically. My KTM’s were full of Torx.

They are quite clever

Philips cannot be over tightened and will cam out

JIS can be tightened to your hearts desire