Haval

Andymann

I've been looking hey - the vehicles which can take a Gazebo are quite limited - Toyota RAV4 is perfect, but 2019 Demo models are R400K and anything below R300K is 2016/17 entry level GX models with the CVT gearbox which limits your towing capacity to 800kg. And they have done km's - Hyundai IX35 and Tucson are all available but with 50-60000km and they dont look great hey - very threadbare. There are a few Cretas which are great, but are smaller than the Jazz.  There are lots of X-Trail's but the 4WD models for a reason - 11-12l/100km urban cycle.  And I don't need 4WD.  Mazda CX3 is too small and CX5 is above R300k unless you go for the older pre-facelift model which again will have 70-80000kms.

I was frankly very surprised at how little (relatively) you can get in an SUV shape for R300k

If you not in a rush they can be found.

After searching for one of the above constantly for 3 weeks I fortunately found one with four days to go before my car hire vehicle had to go back :eek:

Edited by SRBVI

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have a look at the Mitsubishi ASX.

Well priced mid-sized SUV that drives well and has every electronic convenience you can ask for.

Straight 2L petrol engine, no potentially expensive turbos to deal with.

You're not going to fit 2 bikes inside like a Jazz but only the Caddy is going to offer that option.

(my next car might be a Caddy if I can convince my staffie she'd still look cool in it..)

A staffie will still look cool in a reliant robin.

Have a look at the Mitsubishi ASX.

Well priced mid-sized SUV that drives well and has every electronic convenience you can ask for.

Straight 2L petrol engine, no potentially expensive turbos to deal with.

You're not going to fit 2 bikes inside like a Jazz but only the Caddy is going to offer that option.

(my next car might be a Caddy if I can convince my staffie she'd still look cool in it..)

I have a mate who is a big Mitsubishi fan and I had a good look at an ASX - I was very keen but they too are just outside the budget - the best ones I could find for under R300k were all 2016's with high mileage.  But still - I'm going to have another look - they are rated pretty highly

That bad hey?  I was still going to have a look at one?

Compared to yours, my 2017 is not finished well. 

The car it self is fine, but the finishing is bad. 

Minority opinion - check out a Forester.

Highly underrated, decent soft roader, reliable as, and zero second hand value so you'll pick one up for next to nothing if you can find one. Also they're right at the bottom of the list for theft, so insurance is cheap.

Vitara is also a good option, for similar reasons to the above.

I've been looking hey - the vehicles which can take a Gazebo are quite limited - Toyota RAV4 is perfect, but 2019 Demo models are R400K and anything below R300K is 2016/17 entry level GX models with the CVT gearbox which limits your towing capacity to 800kg. And they have done km's - Hyundai IX35 and Tucson are all available but with 50-60000km and they dont look great hey - very threadbare. There are a few Cretas which are great, but are smaller than the Jazz.  There are lots of X-Trail's but the 4WD models for a reason - 11-12l/100km urban cycle.  And I don't need 4WD.  Mazda CX3 is too small and CX5 is above R300k unless you go for the older pre-facelift model which again will have 70-80000kms.

I was frankly very surprised at how little (relatively) you can get in an SUV shape for R300k

Have you had a look at the new Suzuki Vitara? Great compact SUV - I have one (plus one of the older Swifts) and have had zero issues (coming up to the 30000km service very soon). It comes with a 5year/200000km warranty and 4year/60000km service plan.

I had a similar budget last year and also encountered the same - limited options for under R300k. You should be able to get the 1.6GL+ for just under R300k - always deals available.

I have a mate who is a big Mitsubishi fan and I had a good look at an ASX - I was very keen but they too are just outside the budget - the best ones I could find for under R300k were all 2016's with high mileage. But still - I'm going to have another look - they are rated pretty highly

I ended up buying in JHB (I'm in CT) in 2017, paid R210k for a 2014 with 46k km. Still had 2 services covered under maintenance plan which I figured was enough time for any issues to be exposed.

Even with my flight to JHB and return travel costs I think it worked out 10-15% cheaper than buying local.

Minority opinion - check out a Forester.

Highly underrated, decent soft roader, reliable as, and zero second hand value so you'll pick one up for next to nothing if you can find one. Also they're right at the bottom of the list for theft, so insurance is cheap.

Vitara is also a good option, for similar reasons to the above.

Subaru would have been my first choice - I tested an XV at the beginning of this year and almost went through with the deal - I just couldn't bring myself round to buying an Orange car :-)

So naturally I went looking for one now - man, do you think you find them used???  People obviously never get rid of them!

Subaru would have been my first choice - I tested an XV at the beginning of this year and almost went through with the deal - I just couldn't bring myself round to buying an Orange car :-)

So naturally I went looking for one now - man, do you think you find them used??? People obviously never get rid of them!

I also looked at the Subaru XV prior to buying the Mitsubishi ASX but passed on it as the boot (with the seats up) can hardly take a wine box!

So naturally I went looking for one now - man, do you think you find them used???  People obviously never get rid of them!

Yup, *** resale value and the fact that with decent maintenance you'll get 500k km out of them means people just never sell.

Mine's on 330 odd and no cabin squeaks either...

Yup, *** resale value and the fact that with decent maintenance you'll get 500k km out of them means people just never sell.

Mine's on 330 odd and no cabin squeaks either...

Yep, the Forester seems to age rather well.....

post-64853-0-46698000-1572968202_thumb.jpg

Edited by TIB

Yep, the Forester seems to age rather well.....

attachicon.gifIMG_3739.jpg

My 2013 Forester XT bought in 2014 with 5k on the clock sits now at 38k

The rate I am going I should reach that kind of kays in 2050

And no its not for sale....Unbelievable car and drives like a dream

I know a franchise dealer in PTA, he owned a BMW dealership before and still owns one. His words, was that BMW sent engineers to build the haval factory as to be able to build BMWs in China due to laws. 

So all processes was BMW based. 

For price and value for money, i will consider when the time arrives.