Haval

Andymann

I've owned the Renault Sandero and the GWM Multiwagon (This was the Haval's predecessor) 

Absolutely nothing wrong with the Renault, was wonderful and much more power thanks to the Turbo which was technology trickled down from the Red Bull F1 days.

As for the GWM / Haval, The vehicle itself was great fit for purpose. Not fast or silent but did the job reliably. HOWEVER..... there is no trade in value. At the time of sale the Book value was R85K, Trade in was R70k and the best anyone could offer was R30K. Renault had much better return value. I now drive a Honda Ballard.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 - 16l/km seems very high.. :/

Mine gave me 13.9km/l over the 120254km I drove it...

2.0TDi DSG 103kW

Edit: saw it was l/km, not km/l  :D

Edited by sias

As for the GWM / Haval, The vehicle itself was great fit for purpose. Not fast or silent but did the job reliably. HOWEVER..... there is no trade in value. At the time of sale the Book value was R85K, Trade in was R70k and the best anyone could offer was R30K. Renault had much better return value. I now drive a Honda Ballard.

I have a feeling this will change with the parent company now actively being involved in SA much like the Kia and Hyundai it took awhile for them to establish themselves here. They have also employed a ex Jaguar designer so expect the cars to start look less dated.

The current H1's are also selling at low prices as a new model is on its way to SA.  

Edited by SRBVI

OFF TOPIC SLIGHTLY, Anyone have a H1? whats the boot space like? I am selling my old defy washing machine. A young lady with a H1 is buying it today and asked me if it will fit in the boot. She says the seats go down.

depends on the size of the washing machine, we fitted one inside a Hyundai i10.

@Andymann, if you interested in the H1, I will let you know tomorrow if the boot is big enough for a washing machine.  :lol: , like a top gear test this.

In true top gear test fashion Jeremy would make it fit with a hammer even if he ended up breaking the rear window glass.

From a womans perspective..Renault Sandero.  We have the 1.6 and not one minute of problems.  Brilliant car with all the bells and whistle and much prettier than the H1.

MTB and and a whole nursery, no problem for the caddy

Sorry for the Hijack.

I'm getting really gatvol of my double cab. It's a huge car that's actually a tiny car and I'm looking at a caddy or something along those lines.

Quick question regarding seating. Could one do a setup where there's the front seats and then 1 rear passenger seat? This would be my desired configuration for about 99% of the time.

And are there anchor points for the bikes in the vehicle?

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Sorry for the Hijack.

I'm getting really gatvol of my double cab. It's a huge car that's actually a tiny car and I'm looking at a caddy or something along those lines.

Quick question regarding seating. Could one do a setup where there's the front seats and then 1 rear passenger seat? This would be my desired configuration for about 99% of the time.

Yes. The seats are removable, and they are in a 60/40 split arrangement so you can either remove the 2 seat bench or the jump seat. 

Edited by Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

Haval has been getting rave reviews in the motoring press. Good value for money

My problem with Haval (and most Chinese brands for that matter) is how long these vehicles will last. They are too new on the market to see what problems they'll give in a few years time.

They are made by GWM. Most GWMs after 5 years start looking tatty. Paint is starting to fade, lights get that greying look and body panels out of alignment etc. That points to poor build quality and poor quality of components. I realise Haval is the luxury arm of GWM and is expected to be better, but is it better?

I would like to see what the current crop of Havals will look like in five years time, with 100 000kms on the clock. If an Haval will still be in the same condition as what a Japanese, Korean or European car is after 5 years, then they are worthy of consideration. The only way to find this out is to wait 5 years.

Personally, I would rather get a used Japanese, Korean or European car with low mileage before I go with Haval. 

Sorry for the Hijack.

mine is the 7 seater crew bus, last row of seats removed. You get the maxi which is a bit longer

The middle bench is split 2 and 1 seater which can be removed separately 

I've got the baby seat on the 2 seater for when my wife needs to sit at the back with the little one.

4 anchor points in the rear

Could one do a setup where there's the front seats and then 1 rear passenger seat? 

This is how I had a LWB transporter set up back in the day.  It swallowed two MX bikes, big rolling tool box, gazebos, everything.  Really easy to pop the seats in and out as well.  

I'm seriously wanting a LWB Caddy now to do the same thing with bicycles.  Keep everything inside so that its safe and you don't use any more fuel.  Plus it'll also work for getting rid of garden waste.  

depends on the size of the washing machine, we fitted one inside a Hyundai i10.

The normal defy, that one that is pretty much the cheapest one on the market. Nothing big and fancy.(hence why I upgraded-with 5 of us the wife was washing everyday). I know I had those transport bolts somewhere but I have no idea where they are now. Push comes to shove and I'll put some paper or something in there to stop the drum moving too much.

Haval has been getting rave reviews in the motoring press. Good value for money

My problem with Haval (and most Chinese brands for that matter) is how long these vehicles will last. They are too new on the market to see what problems they'll give in a few years time.

They are made by GWM. Most GWMs after 5 years start looking tatty. Paint is starting to fade, lights get that greying look and body panels out of alignment etc. That points to poor build quality and poor quality of components. I realise Haval is the luxury arm of GWM and is expected to be better, but is it better?

I would like to see what the current crop of Havals will look like in five years time, with 100 000kms on the clock. If an Haval will still be in the same condition as what a Japanese, Korean or European car is after 5 years, then they are worthy of consideration. The only way to find this out is to wait 5 years.

Personally, I would rather get a used Japanese, Korean or European car with low mileage before I go with Haval. 

I've been looking hey - the vehicles which can take a Gazebo are quite limited - Toyota RAV4 is perfect, but 2019 Demo models are R400K and anything below R300K is 2016/17 entry level GX models with the CVT gearbox which limits your towing capacity to 800kg. And they have done km's - Hyundai IX35 and Tucson are all available but with 50-60000km and they dont look great hey - very threadbare. There are a few Cretas which are great, but are smaller than the Jazz.  There are lots of X-Trail's but the 4WD models for a reason - 11-12l/100km urban cycle.  And I don't need 4WD.  Mazda CX3 is too small and CX5 is above R300k unless you go for the older pre-facelift model which again will have 70-80000kms.

I was frankly very surprised at how little (relatively) you can get in an SUV shape for R300k

That's exactly what we ended up doing and we bought it from the Haval dealership's used lot  :lol:

Have a look at the Mitsubishi ASX.

Well priced mid-sized SUV that drives well and has every electronic convenience you can ask for.

Straight 2L petrol engine, no potentially expensive turbos to deal with.

You're not going to fit 2 bikes inside like a Jazz but only the Caddy is going to offer that option.

(my next car might be a Caddy if I can convince my staffie she'd still look cool in it..)

Edited by NC_lurker