[Event] Coronation Double Century 2019

DieselnDust

A little article we penned about what exactly is "DC training" after John asked very rightly what it is we keep tweeting about.

http://bit.ly/PSDCTraining

Enjoy

And yes Velouria your team gets a mention.

Wow this was insightful to me! I'm the guy spending way to much time on Zwift and mountain biking haha.. But to be fair, I only got my first road bike last week. Jeez I still have a lot to learn before I take on something like the Double Century(maybe next year). Clearly there is way more to road cycling than just the higher cadence compared to mountain biking!

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Really nice write up.

Very important to get the order and rhythm sorted before the event itself, otherwise you see scenes like the fisticuffs we saw at the second rest stop last year. I reckon there are a couple of okes not invited back this time around.

A little article we penned about what exactly is "DC training" after John asked very rightly what it is we keep tweeting about.

Enjoy

Really nice write up.

Very important to get the order and rhythm sorted before the event itself, otherwise you see scenes like the fisticuffs we saw at the second rest stop last year. I reckon there are a couple of okes not invited back this time around.

Have seen some crazy stuff in the past. Some dude had such a falling out with his team, as they wanted Charles Milner and they were pushing people on the N2. He was so gatvol he rode away before Tradouw, rolled through the stop, starting the teams time before the other 11 arrived, then rode with us to the second stop, stopped with us grabbed some water and exited the stop. He finished an two and a half hours before the rest of his team. When his team finally arrived and asked for Charles Milner they were denied as 1st rider was not within 10 minutes. None of their stops were deducted as he had started their time again when he left. 

Really nice write up.

Enlighten those of us who didn't hear the tale? Were they from the same team?

Enlighten those of us who didn't hear the tale? Were they from the same team?

Same team and sounds fairly similar to what the Savages saw. 

One guy wanting to go really fast while the other 11 wanted to finish as a team, cue lots of swearing and shouting at the rest stop which then ended up with a wild swing of fists. Was really unpleasant to see.

Same team and sounds fairly similar to what the Savages saw. 

One guy wanting to go really fast while the other 11 wanted to finish as a team, cue lots of swearing and shouting at the rest stop which then ended up with a wild swing of fists. Was really unpleasant to see.

That is just pathetic... 

1 against 11... 'Don't worry son, society is the problem, not you'....

Some people need to put away their ego and find their humanity. I wish him herpes.

Possibly 3? LoL

Thanks Az - I saw those photos from Cape Classic and was wondering what they could do in 2 weeks.

To be fair, that old bridge was in such a state I'm surprised more people didn't write off wheels when crossing it!

Have seen some crazy stuff in the past. Some dude had such a falling out with his team, as they wanted Charles Milner and they were pushing people on the N2. He was so gatvol he rode away before Tradouw, rolled through the stop, starting the teams time before the other 11 arrived, then rode with us to the second stop, stopped with us grabbed some water and exited the stop. He finished an two and a half hours before the rest of his team. When his team finally arrived and asked for Charles Milner they were denied as 1st rider was not within 10 minutes. None of their stops were deducted as he had started their time again when he left. 

Just wow... I have seen plenty of times that some okes just aren't good team players but this guy takes being an arse to a whole new level!

I have seen a few times how teams starting off with the intention of going for the Charles Milner but that idea gets chucked by half the group as soon as fatigue set in leading to massive confusion & mix-ups!

Enjoy

Our team has a strict "No Team Rides" rule. The only time we ride together before the event is the ride to the start line. I think I've only met 4 of my teammates...

But, 3 members got together this year and did Four Passes (after suffering FOMO when they saw The Savages do a team DC Four Passes ride). At least we have our first item on the agenda for the fines meeting!

The Charlie Milner medal is the coolest thing.

It was a special day with teamwork, unknowns and Mission Impossible type problem-solving skills ????

Our team has a strict "No Team Rides" rule. The only time we ride together before the event is the ride to the start line. I think I've only met 4 of my teammates...

But, 3 members got together this year and did Four Passes (after suffering FOMO when they saw The Savages do a team DC Four Passes ride). At least we have our first item on the agenda for the fines meeting!

"There are no seasoned world tour riders in our squad and most of our riders have done less than ten Double Centuries, so we don’t have the luxury of rocking up on the day and forming a Quick-Step Floors like Team Time Trial pace line" - Dane's team

I'm quite surprised with the lack of training most people are doing for this event! Around ten of my mates, all riding in different teams are doing this and doesn't look to phased about it.. some of them last sat on a saddle at Trans Baviaans, some did a few spin classes the last month or so, and the rest did their first sunday cruise in months this past weekend. The one guy at our office told me this morning that their aiming for 9 hours after this weekends first team ride! The only mate actually training for this is riding with Team Pure Savage..no surprises there I guess.

Well it is only about 180km and then it is still broken up into 3 rides with half hour feed-fests in between. It is not a DC in the true sense of the word any more.

If you can do the Argust in under 4 hrs you should do this in under 8.5. So no one really worries about it any more. it is a social ride.

The racing snakes will race and the rest will ho hum....

Well it is only about 180km and then it is still broken up into 3 rides with half hour feed-fests in between. It is not a DC in the true sense of the word any more.

If you can do the Argust in under 4 hrs you should do this in under 8.5. So no one really worries about it any more. it is a social ride.

Well the some teams also want to improve their times from last year and the year before that. So a race against oneself is just as important. For others it's just a jol.

I hope the jollers will be kind enough to let the teams chasing PB's through without all the unpleasantness that seems to happen every year. If runners can do it so can we cyclists.

lets just be lekker neh

You still sit on bike for 202km, timed is  about 187?

Edited by Karman de Lange