Why are people so loyal to SRAM ?

Vishal72

I had changed groupsets on my bike from SRAM GX 11 speed to Eagle GX, which was a major disappointment. 3 reputable bike shops in Cape Town couldn’t get the shifting sorted and the derailleur and cassette were changed under warranty. I still wasn’t totally happy with the shifting and recently changed to Shimano SLX . The perceived quality (subjective) is better on the Shimano. The shift quality (objective) especially under power is a lot better.

When recounting my experience to various bike shops personnel I was met with varying degrees of sceptism and almost disbelief. A common thread is that the quality of SRAM is better. One guy even said I should have tried X01....

The X01 derailleur costs more than the SLX groupset !!!

It also seems that very few have tried the 12 speed Shimano and don’t seemed too interested.

Its a shame as I doubt they will recommend the Shimano 12 speed groupset to any of their customers.

I’m pretty new to mountain biking, is there some history that I’m not aware of ?

Firstly I think you need to find a new mechanic. SRAM Eagle is easy to set up. The only thing that needs attention is the B- gap between upper guide pulley and the 50T cassette.This is even more important with Shimano 12s and the 51T cassette.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a happy Sram fanboy. 

Possibly time to formalize the name for this group of people to Sramboys? Just a thought. In this crazy digital age, portmanteau words seem to be created and tossed around like popcorn: bromance, twitterati, chillax, cronut, webinar, mockumentary, the list goes on. When I was growing up, it was just brunch and smog. So, Sramsboys....if it catches on, you heard it here first. 

Possibly time to formalize the name for this group of people to Sramboys? Just a thought. In this crazy digital age, portmanteau words seem to be created and tossed around like popcorn: bromance, twitterati, chillax, cronut, webinar, mockumentary, the list goes on. When I was growing up, it was just brunch and smog. So, Sramsboys....if it catches on, you heard it here first. 

Kief man

If only Campy would make MTB groupsets, I would be over it like a brak finding a boerewors. I am still running with my Campy Record 11 speed on my roady that I bought 2010. Still no issues whatsoever.

As for the MTB groupsets from both SRAM and Shimano. Meh.

Those that I know who ride Campy on their roadie bikes all love them ... till they eventually have to replace any components .... then it is snot en traane .... but then again, they very rarely have to replace anything.

Those that I know who ride Campy on their roadie bikes all love them ... till they eventually have to replace any components .... then it is snot en traane .... but then again, they very rarely have to replace anything.

I once tried to replace my campy chainrings - the guy at the bike shop told me to clean them properly because he didn't think they would need replacing. he was right too.

A month or two back I fell over rather hard going very slowly. My GX rear derailleur took a major hit, so bad that the hanger was bent and the cage was in the spokes. I grabbed the mechanism and pulled. After two goes it was fine to ride again. Back home I did the same again to get the hanger properly straight and although I now have a spare hanger, I've simply left the damaged one on. Shifting is in fact better than before the crash so it was probably bent before. I've had similar incidents with XT and SLX and in those cases the derailleurs themselves were damaged rather badly. 

There, I've just turned into a SRAMBOY. 

It's the same question as why do so many people like iPhones and all Apple's products... everyday, a new cakehole is born... Lmao!!!

It's the same question as why do so many people like iPhones and all Apple's products... everyday, a new cakehole is born... Lmao!!!

difference is that SRAM won't break and shatter if you drop it .......

Campy tried the MTB market in the 90's they couldn't compete. Unlike the likes of Sachs and Suntour though they're still around with drivetrains. In market share Shimano is dominant in the billions of dollars in turnover, while SRAM are around 500 million as the next biggest. 

I had Suntour on a Bridgestone MB3, loved it. Felt a pang of sadness when researching for a story, it came up that Suntour ended up selling off it's component tolling and jigs for scrap. 

Anyway, groupset choice is like religion. Ride what works for you.

someone mentioned Gripshift earlier .... my first decent MTB was a Gary Fisher Hoo'Koo E'Koo in olive green and tripple butted, heat treated chromoly frame...what a bike ... and she came decked out with Gripshift and Shimano STX-RC der's .... bike never missed a shift every and I did tons of mileage on that bike.

so it would be nice if SRAM and Shimano could play nicely together again :P

My view is simple: Give me whatever works  :). I don't want to have to phone someone because the crap on my bike failed. 

I have used SRAM XO in the past (for many miles until I opened the shifters to "fix" it) and then I have had a load of Shimano parts.  :thumbup:

someone mentioned Gripshift earlier .... my first decent MTB was a Gary Fisher Hoo'Koo E'Koo in olive green and tripple butted, heat treated chromoly frame...what a bike ... and she came decked out with Gripshift and Shimano STX-RC der's .... bike never missed a shift every and I did tons of mileage on that bike.

A guy at my school used to have a hoo-koo. LOVED that bike! STX-RC was the tits. 

Campy tried the MTB market in the 90's they couldn't compete. Unlike the likes of Sachs and Suntour though they're still around with drivetrains. In market share Shimano is dominant in the billions of dollars in turnover, while SRAM are around 500 million as the next biggest. 

I had Suntour on a Bridgestone MB3, loved it. Felt a pang of sadness when researching for a story, it came up that Suntour ended up selling off it's component tolling and jigs for scrap. 

Anyway, groupset choice is like religion. Ride what works for you.

Sachs Bicycle division was acquired by SRAM sometime in the late 90's. The SRAM Europe division, largely responsible for the drivetrains is the old Sachs-Huret outfit. Rebooted obviously.

Suntour now into suspension forks and rear shocks.

Shimano locked a lot of companys out of the drivetrain market with their quest to patent everything

won't ever happen since Shimano tried to sue SRAM for patent infringement of the Grip shift back in the 90's, lost and had to pay SRAM a lot of money (which SRAM invested into acquiring Sachs and growing from there.....mortal enemies now.