Are Hardtails dead?

T_Boss

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any experience with the Silverback Superspeed and how it compares to a dual-sus? Heard some people don’t even take their dualies out anymore because it’s so comfy.

Any experience with the Silverback Superspeed and how it compares to a dual-sus? Heard some people don’t even take their dualies out anymore because it’s so comfy.

I can't comment on how the Superspeed rides, but I really would like to buy one someday.

lots of people still have it stuck in their mind the old super stiff bone rattling carbon frames.

I had a Niner Air 9 carbon and there is no comparison between that and the newer generation carbon frames.

There's so many really comfortable carbon Hardtails out and each brand has their own unique features/design.

Silverback has the Superspeed (I like the look but that's actually the one I have not had/tried) Trek's Procaliber has a interesting "suspension" bushing thing, Cannondale FSI with the SAVE stays and seat post, Scott Scale has SDS.

lots of people still have it stuck in their mind the old super stiff bone rattling carbon frames.

I had a Niner Air 9 carbon and there is no comparison between that and the newer generation carbon frames.

There's so many really comfortable carbon Hardtails out and each brand has their own unique features/design.

Silverback has the Superspeed (I like the look but that's actually the one I have not had/tried) Trek's Procaliber has a interesting "suspension" bushing thing, Cannondale FSI with the SAVE stays and seat post, Scott Scale has SDS.

Agreed hey. I love a lekke hardtail. I am seriously considering getting the Superspeed. Answer from someone riding one:

“Die superspeed is n baie lekker Hardtail n mens voel of jy by climbs kan op vlieg en descent kan send met hom. Daar is nie vir my so groot verskil tussen My full sus en Die superspeed nie behalwe op rowwe oppervlakte is die Dual beter maar die Superspeed het die Monoburst technology wat baie help met traction. Vir Xco races en marathon is dit n baie lekker fiets.”

That monoburst tech is what catches me. Plus, even though most would recommend going dual, in the long run the maintenance cost is just not sustainable for me.

I can't comment on how the Superspeed rides, but I really would like to buy one someday.

The SBC frameset is about R18000. Now that’s value.

The SBC frameset is about R18000. Now that’s value.

I would rather buy the Superspeed 2 have heard there's no difference in the frame. Sell all the parts you don't like and change it would be much more cost-effective. Have played with the idea as the 2 new is only around R22 000.

Hi Roxy, i have a superspeed 2. Best bike i have ever had. I upgraded fork to Reba Remote. Added dropper, best addition ever. DMR V12 magnesium pedals. Different grips. Changed to a 34 front so you have a bit more speed [excuse the pun] The amount of gears is enough, even for steep climbs. You wont be sorry if you can get your hands on a small size and pimp it a bit. With dropper mine weighs in at just over 11kg. All cables internal, even dropper. Hard Tails for the win!

post-142431-0-14148300-1598079827_thumb.jpg

post-142431-0-93502000-1598079845_thumb.jpg

post-142431-0-26019500-1598079857_thumb.jpg

post-142431-0-47404500-1598079868_thumb.jpg

post-142431-0-19837100-1598079882_thumb.jpg

I had a second hand Camber that I bought off the Hub and I HATED it. It felt slow, clunky, it didn't like tight or quick turns, it bobbed when I put the power down, it climbed like a dump truck and I ended up not enjoying MTB very much at all. I analysed the sorts of trails I rode most and settled on a XC hard tail (Titan Racing Drone Elite) as my new MTB and I LOVE it. It's well specced (RockShox SID, Shimano XT 1x12, SRAM Level T brakes), light (under 12kg for an XL alloy) and it looks fantastic. Net result, I've done as much mileage on my new hard tail in 6 weeks as I did on my Camber in 6 months. Do I still want a dual susser? Sure (but that Scalpel is just out of reach financially right now). But when the time comes the hard tail is staying. And it's improving my skills too. A decision I do not regret at all! 

post-103640-0-77001900-1598085304_thumb.jpg

Hi Roxy, i have a superspeed 2. Best bike i have ever had. I upgraded fork to Reba Remote. Added dropper, best addition ever. DMR V12 magnesium pedals. Different grips. Changed to a 34 front so you have a bit more speed [excuse the pun] The amount of gears is enough, even for steep climbs. You wont be sorry if you can get your hands on a small size and pimp it a bit. With dropper mine weighs in at just over 11kg. All cables internal, even dropper. Hard Tails for the win!

Very pretty steed. Planning on building the parts from current bike over to the Superspeed. Have Fox Performance fork, XO Eagle groupset, carbon wheels.