Are Hardtails dead?

T_Boss

Is there a local supply chain for Nukeproof bikes? I am still seriously considering the Nukeproof Scout as a fun, do it all hardtail. But Rand/Pound exchange, mixed with shipping costs etc to bring one in from CRC right now is just a bit far out of reach.

I was hoping to try get my hands on one when I was in the UK for business earlier this year, but COVID put an end to that business trip plan

You can also try MTB monster in the UK - remember the vat comes off the price but back on here - if you buy a complete bike ask them to strip it and ship parts separately as you pay duties on a built bike but not on frames - shipping was ok - on a bike I was looking at, the price was similar to here except they actually had stock

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Last saw Marin here in the 90's

Hatfield Cycles used to stock them up till around 2006. I remember lusting after one back in high school.

post-64325-0-72028400-1601280352_thumb.jpg

i'm reconfiguring my soma valhallen into a trail bike/ BIGboy bmx since i wont be riding it on my preferred gravel loop after it got bike jacked (and recovered!) . ill be using this exclusively for the silly stuff again....like my cotic BFE-26 was before this. Taking inspiration from the Surly Lowside...keeping it rigid for now since thats what i have. The carver trail 490 carbon fork is trail rated though. 

Shimano Saint groupo reconfigured into DH mode with 32T 1x7 11-24. Ordered some DMR V12's for it today.

shouldnt have sold my dropper the weekend before the bike got stolen I guess haha. 

post-64325-0-60201000-1601310318_thumb.jpg

post-64325-0-89584600-1601310333_thumb.jpg

post-64325-0-96958800-1601310340_thumb.jpg

Hatfield Cycles used to stock them up till around 2006. I remember lusting after one back in high school.

Was that when Gert still owned the store?

Was that when Gert still owned the store?

Some feedback now that I have had a couple of rides.

The extra travel and little added weight has made no difference in climbing times in fact technical climbing feels easier/better.

Now where I wanted the difference when pointing it down and it has not disappointed! With still just playing and having fun I have beaten every PR without trying or aiming to.

Now if I have only been on hardtails this would not be really impressive but I have had a number of nice dualies.

So in short still a fast climber but on everything else it's turned up to 11.

post-80000-0-28599200-1601315832_thumb.jpg

They are coincidently the Surly “sunrise” bars that ship with the surly lowside bike lol.

I knew i wanted a pair when i saw them on this Peter Verdone bike:

That looks super rad, but also looks like it'll strike a pedal constantly.

Intently following your Soma reconfigure, that frame deserves to be built up with some unique parts, and the rigid fork is a great start.