Olympic Cycles Burgled

FootballingCyclist

You can't blame the Police surely?

They don't stand guard and patrol the street outside their office. That is a busy cop shop and by 5am their holding cells are full of deviants/drunk people/public nuisances etc all needing to be processed for transportation to Wynberg at 5:15/5:30.

I'm also pretty sure the thieves waited till the squad cars had all pulled away from the front of the station before diving in.

I know SAP get a bad rep, but I don't see this as being vaguely their fault and I don't see how they could have done anything to prevent it.

Expecting a swamped SAPS to be your security guard is just bad planning.

If you have millions of zar worth of stock in your shop and don't have roller doors or bars built into the wall, surely you have on site security?

Looks like comprehensive insurance wins this round though

Questions the Insurer will be asking as well

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

being opposite the copshop in muizenberg hasn't helped the bikeshop(s) there.

https://www.google.co.za/maps/@-33.9951623,18.4689757,3a,37.5y,131.67h,89.27t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1suD6u1PbShRlywHfDhwO4LQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

i see these guys have roller shutters, the olympic cycles 3 doors down don't.

really sucks that this is a requirement!

thinking about it now...maybe being opposite a copshop is actually not the best idea?

the creatures that might get held there overnight etc and released on R10 bail...including their friends that hang around outside waiting or whatever,  means there might actually be more bad apples than avarage having a random opportunistic scope just because they happen to be there doing nothing (idle hands?). That also makes me think of this but in reverse...."wat die oë nie sien nie wil die hart nie he nie"

You can't blame the Police surely?

They don't stand guard and patrol the street outside their office. That is a busy cop shop and by 5am their holding cells are full of deviants/drunk people/public nuisances etc all needing to be processed for transportation to Wynberg at 5:15/5:30.

I'm also pretty sure the thieves waited till the squad cars had all pulled away from the front of the station before diving in.

I know SAP get a bad rep, but I don't see this as being vaguely their fault and I don't see how they could have done anything to prevent it.

Expecting a swamped SAPS to be your security guard is just bad planning.

If you have millions of zar worth of stock in your shop and don't have roller doors or bars built into the wall, surely you have on site security?

Looks like comprehensive insurance wins this round though

No we cannot blame the police for this and you're right they don't stand guard or patrol 24/7 ... 

However, their lack of service gives criminals the surety that they will never be caught. I was once in a detectives office and he had case files stacked to the ceiling (I'm probably exaggerating about the height of the stack but *** my Marelize, if my desk looked like that I'd have anxiety issues for life) 

"Law Enforcement" is so slack at the moment that not only criminals but the average Joe takes chances because "I won't get caught, there's nobody to police me" 

There are various degrees to the "I won't get caught, there's nobody to police me" attitude, from the I'll park in the disabled bay cause I don't want to walk to far to the mall entrance or the traffic light is red I can't still make it, or let me slip down this one way to beat some traffic to the house breaking, jewellery heists or this bike shop raids. 

Anyhoo, I hope Olympic can survive this, they should survive this. I used them years ago and got decent service from them. 

The sick thing is the fact that they knew exactly what to take, means they cased the place beforehand and checked pricing etc, which also means they're technically on the shop's cameras with no way of telling who it was. 

Always thought the same. No burglar bars but police station right opposite.

Not sure i would take that risk... Wow.

One of the few shops not to install additional burglar proofing yet.

While shops are not as pretty with them, it is an unfortunate prerequisite.

I was thinking the same thing.

what bikes were taken?

My first reaction was that this is not the first time Olympic have been burgled.... might be confused with another shop tho...

Sadly the police are not a real deterrent.

That being said, my local cop shop is only open during normal office hrs mon to fri

My local cop shop has a panic button to the same security company that I use. I was quite disappointed as their panic button looks a lot nicer than mine!

My local cop shop has a panic button to the same security company that I use. I was quite disappointed as their panic button looks a lot nicer than mine!

Your Fuzz Station has a panic button to an external security company? WTAF....

My brother had a shop further down Imam Haroon road and they got robbed a number of times.

Icing on the cake was when their security gate and shutters were pulled off the wall by a bakkie before the shop got robbed. The police would only report it as a crime of opportunity when they finally came around for a statement.

As for police stations using private security, it's be on the go for a long time. 

No we cannot blame the police for this and you're right they don't stand guard or patrol 24/7 ... 

However, their lack of service gives criminals the surety that they will never be caught. I was once in a detectives office and he had case files stacked to the ceiling (I'm probably exaggerating about the height of the stack but *** my Marelize, if my desk looked like that I'd have anxiety issues for life) 

"Law Enforcement" is so slack at the moment that not only criminals but the average Joe takes chances because "I won't get caught, there's nobody to police me" 

There are various degrees to the "I won't get caught, there's nobody to police me" attitude, from the I'll park in the disabled bay cause I don't want to walk to far to the mall entrance or the traffic light is red I can't still make it, or let me slip down this one way to beat some traffic to the house breaking, jewellery heists or this bike shop raids. 

Anyhoo, I hope Olympic can survive this, they should survive this. I used them years ago and got decent service from them. 

Hang on..... are you justifying criminal behaviour because there is little to no chance of being caught?

By this thinking, if one spouse is over worked and tired it's more likely the other spouse will cheat on them because there is little to no chance of being caught? Does that make it the issue of the overworked/tired spouse or is the cheating bastard just that, a cheating bastard?

Lawlessness stems from public attitude and in this case, lack of incentive, training, understaffed, overworked, under paid employees shown zero respect by pretty much anyone 'because they are useless' means the slippery slope has become a rabbit hole.

There is no incentive for well educated people to join the police force to make it a more structured, understood environment. There is little incentive for anyone to join. This attitude doesn't help.

I'm sure many of you have been snowed under at work, under paid and under appreciated. Imagine then if every person you dealt with treated you with disdain or aggression?

I would probably also do as little as possible because you're dammed if you do, dammed if you don't....

Looking at the current global trends and attitudes, it's hard not to believe that most humans are inherently scum

Your Fuzz Station has a panic button to an external security company? WTAF....

I know right???? I had heard rumors about it and then last week I had to go get some stuff certified and I saw it for myself. But it is actually a 2 way system apparently so that if the security company needs the cops then they use this instead of normal phone line. But we all calling it a panic button and there is a big sign outside the station saying this premises is protected by..........