Olympic Cycles Burgled

FootballingCyclist

Just received in my WA group.

Olympic Cycles in Claremont was burgled. Font window/door smashed in with a concrete drain cover.

The audacity of the thugs though as this bikeshop is literally opposite the police station.

post-35357-0-53055100-1582003271_thumb.jpg

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 males came in all wearing balaclavas, 4 bikes stolen, getaway car was a Fortuner. They were spotted by runners. Possibly planned as they came in and knew exactly where to go and which bikes to take which are valuable.

post-35357-0-96808100-1582005388_thumb.jpg

post-35357-0-14537500-1582005461_thumb.jpg

Holy crap, I passed there earlier and didn't see anything?

I know Crown Cycles also had a few incidents before they moved to their new premises, hence why they have those huge security gates up at the front. 

Those bikes were probably on order... 

Sad times!

Just received in my WA group.

Olympic Cycles in Claremont was burgled. Font window/door smashed in with a concrete drain cover.

The audacity of the thugs though as this bikeshop is literally opposite the police station.

Do you know what time of the night/morning that was ?

I am always amazed that there is only glass - no roller shutter doors etc.

I suppose that they felt a certain level of security being across from the Claremont Cop Shop.

#brazen

Holy crap, I passed there earlier and didn't see anything?

I know Crown Cycles also had a few incidents before they moved to their new premises, hence why they have those huge security gates up at the front.

Those bikes were probably on order...

Sad times!

My first reaction was that this is not the first time Olympic have been burgled.... might be confused with another shop tho...

Sadly the police are not a real deterrent.

That being said, my local cop shop is only open during normal office hrs mon to fri

Do you know what time of the night/morning that was ?

I am always amazed that there is only glass - no roller shutter doors etc.

I suppose that they felt a certain level of security being across from the Claremont Cop Shop.

#brazen

Footiecyclist said they were spotted by runners, that stretch of road usually has runners around the 5am hour. 

Police should catch them quickly, only 50m apart...   Shocking service

Ahhh I see what you did there, that's sarcasm right? 

In my mind this is how it played out, runner sees burglary in protest, thinks lets do the right thing.... Runs into Police Station, wakes up Plod cause he or she is sleeping, runner is says come quickly they robbing the the bicyle shop, Plod then rubs the sleep out of his or her eyes and then asks the runner what's happening the runner repeats him or herself and then plod says ok, ok calm down! 

Plod then springs into action and gets the case book out, saying don't worry we'll catch them... Just let me get my pen and I can take your statement. 

fine i guess the stock is insured.

But as mentioned...maybe a false sense of security with the popo across the street(they probaly helped lol)

Common sense (at least to me)would suggest the general rule of thumb is that when you carry high value stock...roller shutter or similar....especially 'highstreet' type street front stores.... 

edit: rook cycles in town learnt that the hard way last year too I guess. 

We've all seen jewellery stores...even in malls, pack up and then restock the store fronts EVERY SINGLE DAY.

Edited by morneS555

You can't blame the Police surely?

They don't stand guard and patrol the street outside their office. That is a busy cop shop and by 5am their holding cells are full of deviants/drunk people/public nuisances etc all needing to be processed for transportation to Wynberg at 5:15/5:30.

I'm also pretty sure the thieves waited till the squad cars had all pulled away from the front of the station before diving in.

I know SAP get a bad rep, but I don't see this as being vaguely their fault and I don't see how they could have done anything to prevent it.

Expecting a swamped SAPS to be your security guard is just bad planning.

If you have millions of zar worth of stock in your shop and don't have roller doors or bars built into the wall, surely you have on site security?

Looks like comprehensive insurance wins this round though

Edited by Jewbacca

One of the few shops not to install additional burglar proofing yet.

While shops are not as pretty with them, it is an unfortunate prerequisite.