Larger groups stopping on Suikerbossie

Nords

This is the only safe spot to stop on sugar bush, it’s over the crest and off the road. Cyclists should be riding single file on the right of the yellow lane.

angry Hout Bay locals will have a collective panty-soiling event if they read this... "a cyclist!! in my lane? where i want to drive my entitled car? GTFO!!"

ok, they're not all like that, but there's enough to make an impact. 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's Argie season

There are weekend warriors in lycra everywhere, especially after 1.1 kms of 5% gradient, thereabouts

Like DB expressed

Exercise patience and be cool

Exercise common sense, pause, look over your shoulder, listen for a combustion engine and pass when safely

Buuuuttttt.... The Strava segment ends just there!!

On a serious note, No need to bash the OP, All he is doing is looking out for everyones safety at the end of the day.

None of us here I'm sure want to be that guy who is taken out by a car or be that guy who could've been 1m to the left so the cyclist who is a father, a husband and a brother who just got clipped infront of us by car could've passed safely. Yes we have "should be in single file" on the right of the yellow lane, But prevention is better than cure. We cannot change the mindsets of alcohol using or cellphone using motorists, But we can change our own behaviour and actions and a simple request not to stand in groups filling up the whole yellow lane is not at all an unreasonable one.

Edited by FootballingCyclist

Buuuuttttt.... The Strava segment ends just there!!

On a serious note, No need to bash the OP, All he is doing is looking out for everyones safety at the end of the day.

Sure. I agree.

however the real concern is that OP has to cross the yellow line to ride past those cyclists standing on the side of the road. What next? shall we roll out a red carpet too, confetti? fireworks, oh wait the vegans say we can't do that anymore...

Simple fact is that there need not be a concern if the OP felt that some tw#t holding a steering wheel and checking out cleavage on Instagram wouldn't be driving into him. So some cyclists get the blame while the real problem is the inattentive motorist.

Asking for a band aid when the artery is severed....

Sure. I agree.

however the real concern is that OP has to cross the yellow line to ride past those cyclists standing on the side of the road. What next? shall we roll out a red carpet too, confetti? fireworks, oh wait the vegans say we can't do that anymore...

Simple fact is that there need not be a concern if the OP felt that some tw#t holding a steering wheel and checking out cleavage on Instagram wouldn't be driving into him. So some cyclists get the blame while the real problem is the inattentive motorist.

Asking for a band aid when the artery is severed....

I agree wholeheartedly, But as I said in my edited post, we cannot change the behavior of all motorists who are cellphone users or alcohol abusers, But we can be the guy who just stands 1 more metre to the left and allows a fellow cyclist to pass safely and hopefully make it back home safely. Prevention in this case is better than cure.

Ps, Where on Insta do you check out cleavage??

Edited by FootballingCyclist

I agree wholeheartedly, But as I said in my edited post, we can ot change the behavior of all motorists who are cellphone users or alcohol abusers, But we can be the guy who just stands 1 more metre to the left. Prevention in this case is better than cure.

Ps, Where on Insta do you check out cleavage??

Don't you get the invites?!?!

On our morning ride we stop at the top of suikers on the way out, chappies and suikers on way back to regroup, as the group has  some variation in fitness. We pull off the road way as much as possible keeping up the road way. We found in winter when there are fewer riders that when standing single file the cyclist coming past trying to squeeze between cateye and stationary cyclist is rather dangerous. 

This is the only safe place to stop for the next 10km, stopping anywhere else at 47km/h would be dangerous. Rather just pass as you would a stopped car etc. 

Lekker 

post-11806-0-94655500-1582281081_thumb.jpg

If this was a taxi waiting to collect passengers inside the yellow lane, I'm sure not too many cyclists would be defending the blocking of what is essentially an emergency lane

Alleged safe place to stop or not, is stopping in the emergency lane even legal?

We all transgress the laws to an extent but I'm with the OP, blocking the yellow lane for a fellow cyclist is selfish regardless of what shirt you wear.  Telling him to ride past in single file on the inside of the road isn't cool either

We cannot control what the motorists do, but we can certainly control our own actions on a bicycle

I'll get my coat

If I remember right there was an accident on the top of Suikerbossie a few years back when a car smashed into a cyclist who had stopped and was sitting on the metal barrier on the side of the road. Does anyone else recall that. Bad memory tells me it was a serious injury but that the rider survived.

This is the only safe spot to stop on sugar bush, it’s over the crest and off the road. Cyclists should be riding single file on the right of the yellow lane.

This is a death wish. Who actually spends their whole ride outside the yellow?