Larger groups stopping on Suikerbossie

Nords

We always used to stop at the turnoff to suikerbossie restaurant. Not sure why they can't do that? Far better idea.  

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I remember right there was an accident on the top of Suikerbossie a few years back when a car smashed into a cyclist who had stopped and was sitting on the metal barrier on the side of the road. Does anyone else recall that. Bad memory tells me it was a serious injury but that the rider survived.

Indeed, think it was 2 to 3 years ago, early morning

We always used to stop at the turnoff to suikerbossie restaurant. Not sure why they can't do that? Far better idea.  

Other direction.

The other day, the lights at the pedestrian crossing at the top of Suikers was out. I was driving and stopped to let a bus passenger cross, but a daft driver 4 cars back decided I was a twat and needed to be undertaken in the emergency lane... That place is a minefield. Now put that person alongside you when you're passing people stopped in the emergency lane and well damn! it's a bugger up.

I'm willing to bet that more than half the riders that were forced to the right of the group had just done a u-turn on the blind rise across a three lane road.

So I don't think they have a problem with riding in the road here and there.

If I remember right there was an accident on the top of Suikerbossie a few years back when a car smashed into a cyclist who had stopped and was sitting on the metal barrier on the side of the road. Does anyone else recall that. Bad memory tells me it was a serious injury but that the rider survived.

Yep. That was me. Almost exactly a year ago in that exact spot. I was sitting ALONE on that barrier. Any more single file than that is not possible! And this dude lost control of his vehicle on the bend and up the blind rise and the rest i guess is history.... But please let's be careful out there and don't be THAT guy ..... be lekker. 

I remember reading about your accident - glad to be reading your post!!

Yep. That was me. Almost exactly a year ago in that exact spot. I was sitting ALONE on that barrier. Any more single file than that is not possible! And this dude lost control of his vehicle on the bend and up the blind rise and the rest i guess is history.... But please let's be careful out there and don't be THAT guy ..... be lekker. 

Glad to hear from you and glad you recovered. I no longer stop there. I just keep going. Besides, us slowcoaches have to keep moving to get anywhere. You can't be slow and stop to rest. :whistling:

I had the same happen to me last week doing an early morning ride. Turned round top of Suikerbossie, and then when heading back down to Camps Bay, had to swerve into the road to avoid what looks to be the same bunch of riders. Which I found not cool.

While waiting for the rest of the group, you really don't have to stand 3 abreast having a lekker chat. Be aware, leave at least enough space for a bike to squeeze in between the tea party and the yellow line. 

Happy to read your post. Alive and typing ....

I had the same happen to me last week doing an early morning ride. Turned round top of Suikerbossie, and then when heading back down to Camps Bay, had to swerve into the road to avoid what looks to be the same bunch of riders. Which I found not cool.

While waiting for the rest of the group, you really don't have to stand 3 abreast having a lekker chat. Be aware, leave at least enough space for a bike to squeeze in between the tea party and the yellow line. 

Thank you for proving my point

Respect, A J ✌????