Larger groups stopping on Suikerbossie

Nords

Am I right in thinking that it would be illegal for a car to cross the solid white center line to pass a bike that was passing the stopped cyclists?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I right in thinking that it would be illegal for a car to cross the solid white center line to pass a bike that was passing the stopped cyclists?

Yes, it is. But motorists do exactly that, they go over the solid middle lineĀ  to avoid riders and then endanger both cars and riders coming from the opposite direction. The top of Suikerbossie is very much a blind rise where you cannot see far ahead. It also makes a turn right at the top, adding to the visibility problem.

Get a few sign boards made up... or use some neon paint on the road = NO STOPPING

Go ask the "Single File Please" signboards on Chappies how that worked out for themĀ  :whistling: ...

Ā 

don't think so. what if it was a boulder, or a fallen tree?

No.It is not illegal anymore: recent traffic bylaws allows cars to cross a solid white lane divider to pass a cyclist or group of cyclist that must ride single file, when it is safe to do so. Requires both sets of road users to be reasonable.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

No its not illegal. the WC bylaw that caters for motorists giving cyclists 1m room when passing allows for a motorist to cross the solid white line if it is safe to do so.Ā 

Ā 

One persons safe zone is another mans' game of chicken

Ā 

I was riding this morning and noticed this group of riders had stopped at the top of Suikerbossie in a big bunch. The effect was that all the cyclists coming past were being pushed into traffic to pass them. This is essentially a blind rise and a couple of the bikes came very close to the passing cars. Iā€™m not trying to single out Team Pure Savage (who are in this photo) as there are other groups Iā€™ve seen doing the same. This is also a relatively small group as some of the groups stop in such large size that they cross the yellow line themselves - leaving even less space to pass.Ā 

Ā 

attachicon.gifGPTempDownload.JPG

Ā 
Please can we ask all groups to try be more aware of the potential risk you are placing other cyclists if you don't both pull to the side before stopping and then stopping in single file. Another potential solution is to just stop slightly further down the other side of the hill - so that that traffic has more time to see and react to those cyclists having to pull into the lane to pass the group.
Ā 
Iā€™m sure no cyclist would intentionally want to put another cyclist at risk - so I thought it might just be a case of them not being aware of thIs impact on others. Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Although I think your request is reasonable it does however once again bring into focus the lack of general road safety awareness.

I don;t consider the circumstances tthat brought the cyclists to a stop at the top of the hill to be worthy of consideration as they are inside the yellow line.

Should they stop further down the road? No that would be more dangerous as they will be on the wrong side of a blind rise. they should rather stop befpre the top but they they are obscured by a blind bend in the road (from a motorist perspective).

Ā 

What should happen in this case?

Ā 

Passing cyclists should pass on the right of the yellow line as that is were you're supposed to be anyway.

Motorists should give you the 1mĀ  and pass when safe to do so.

Ā 

instead we cater for the lowest common denominator and allow criminal drivers to have their way.

Ā 

the most effective change in road safety comes from a change in motorist behaviour.

Ā 

So my question to the OP is how willing are you to be the unpopular guy among your peers and teach them about proper behaviour toward cyclists?

Ā 

Ā 

instead we cater for the lowest common denominator and allow criminal drivers & riders to have their way.

Ā 

the most effective change in road safety comes from a change in motorist & cyclist behaviour.

Ā 

So my question to the OP is how willing are you to be the unpopular guy among your peers and teach them about proper behaviour toward other road users & cyclists?

Ā 

fixed it for you ;-)

Ā 

edit: Of course that last question could be also direct to all of us...

Edited by LeoKnight

As we all know, this ins't a new occurrence and I really don't expect anything to change. But for years I've taken abuse from the group if I stop and ask for a bit more space to squeeze through and so I thought there was little downside in trying a different approach and seeing if anyone else maybe felt the same.

Ā 

I don't think there is a simple solution to finding the correct place to stop and I definitely think that stopping to wait for your bunch is what we all do - no matter how big or small the group. At no point did I mean to suggest that groups shouldn't be stopping.

Ā 

One thing I've found particularly interesting is that if people are suggesting the passers should ride single file on the other side of the yellow line, wouldn't that same "single file" rule not apply to those stopping on the side of the road in single file? I know it's not the most social solution, but it definitely feels the safest to me.

Hey Nords, your heart is in the right place...don't change a thing.

Unfortunately people don't think when they're excited and have just raced to the top of another hill.

They will naturally congregate and talk about their latest conquest thinking nothing about their safety!

Just one motorist texting on his phone could easily clip a few riders.

Safety first chaps...just like riding with a helmet on and using bright flashing lights...

Maybe one day (Nords) you might just say...I told them so!...

As we all know, this ins't a new occurrence and I really don't expect anything to change. But for years I've taken abuse from the group if I stop and ask for a bit more space to squeeze through and so I thought there was little downside in trying a different approach and seeing if anyone else maybe felt the same.

Ā 

I don't think there is a simple solution to finding the correct place to stop and I definitely think that stopping to wait for your bunch is what we all do - no matter how big or small the group. At no point did I mean to suggest that groups shouldn't be stopping.

Ā 

One thing I've found particularly interesting is that if people are suggesting the passers should ride single file on the other side of the yellow line, wouldn't that same "single file" rule not apply to those stopping on the side of the road in single file? I know it's not the most social solution, but it definitely feels the safest to me.

Ā 

Ā 

How do you fix a puncher in single file.....?

You needĀ  two files, a patch, some glue, and a supervisor with consultant overseeing the operation. Add in the BEEE trainee(s) and you have an equitable ride.

Ā 

those riders are passing each other albeit very very slowly ( you have to view this in timelapse with a high end gopro)

Edited by DieselnDust

Hey Nords, your heart is in the right place...don't change a thing.

Unfortunately people don't think when they're excited and have just raced to the top of another hill.

They will naturally congregate and talk about their latest conquest thinking nothing about their safety!

Just one motorist texting on his phone could easily clip a few riders.

Safety first chaps...just like riding with a helmet on and using bright flashing lights...

Maybe one day (Nords) you might just say...I told them so!...

Ā 

Ā 

Safe like the bloke who was sitting on the barrier on the opposite side of the road when a motorist hit the barrier and sent the cyclist flying into hospital?Ā 

Fact is you're on the road and that is not safe regardless of standing still.

again if all these lowest denominators concern you then don't cycle. try golf.

We only improve safety by changing motorist behaviour. Cyclists have minimal impact on road safety...minimal so stop moaning about the cyclist and direct the energy toward changing motorist behaviours