UCI XCO World Cup 2020 -2021 Season

Hairy

This is basically the same as the ladies race. A French human waaaaay out in front, good battle for second

• Replies 958
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what country are you guys using on your VPN to watch on redbull tv ? it says georestricted no matter what country I try

What happened for Nino to be so far behind?

Looked like he fell victim to elbows or a missed shift in the start, then caught someone's wheel and dropped to 16th or something and was boxed in by a small group in the initial laps. Just couldn't come back from that.

He tagged Avancini at the start. Seems that he's bad blood with The Brazilian continues. He seems more forceful toward HA consistently. Cost HA more this time.

Super happy for Sarrou. First win and its at world champs. That's awesome. Happy for Absolute Absalon and BMC bikes with Sakae SR Suntour. Two riders on the podium.

French cycling remains strong

Looked like he fell victim to elbows or a missed shift in the start, then caught someone's wheel and dropped to 16th or something and was boxed in by a small group in the initial laps. Just couldn't come back from that.

Thanks

I was watching on DSTV online.

It was televised live on SS7 with Gunn Rita Dahle Fleshja on commentary. Sorely Missed the ROBBART duo  but Gunn Rita is competent

what country are you guys using on your VPN to watch on redbull tv ? it says georestricted no matter what country I try

Germany and the stream was really good

He was ahead of Avincini after their tussle.... Avancini faught back to 3rd at one point.

Nino wasn't strong enough today. He also doesn't like the wet. He has admitted to that many many times. 

The fact that the French have had an almost full domestic season of racing really shows in the XCO and the DH..... It's looking likely tht a Frenchie will win the men's DH tomorrow too.....

So the French have won women u23 xco, men elite xco, women elite xco, woman ebike and are likely to win the men's DH.... which leaves the Juniors xco which was a german and and Austrian, Pidcock with 2 wins and the womens DH......

What a haul!

So the 3 week season in summary:

N1no is back to being regular Nino. And this was after MVDP didn't bother to turn up to a MTB race this year and other had been in potentially more harsh lock downs.

Henrique Avancini wins my rider of the year award. He performed consistently and despite continuous riling by the former N1no he's lifted his game. Its looking good for Tokyo if HA keeps on his present trajectory.

There's a wealth or new young talent emerging. Milan Vader (fear that name), Simon Andreassen and Alan Hatherly to name just a few.

The ladies once again creates the most interesting and unpredictable racing. Leona Lecomte, Evie Richards, Anne Terpstra are all there waiting to pounce on the current Queen Pauline I of Ferand Prevot.

On the technical side dropper posts have really caught on even when they break and don't work just replace it with another one that doesn't work. I suspect they have a way to go before their reliability is an after thought  but there are some great value options  that cost barely more than a lighteight carbon post so there's that.

The front derailleur is now truly dead. Long may it stay that way (on MTBs at least).

Tyres still remain a talking point especially this week at the XCO WC where they couldn't find enough mud tyres so mechanics were removing tread blocks from trail tyres to make mud tyres. I suspect to see a resurgence in sales on Continental Mud king 1.8 and 2.0 since the Paul Cluver XCo and perhaps even globally after Leogang. I know I need a set in my arsenal.

A Hardtail was also seen under Nino for the first time since 2018 or was it 2017? A muh maligned tool  in the XCO racers arsenal, its the perfect weapon for a muddy day out. I am certainly trying to convince the SO that I need one of these too....

We lso learned that Purple bikes are not fast. I could have told them this but sometimes you got to knock your own head. Purple stays in the 90's.It was buried there for good reason.

Almost has hapless as purple is Elisabet Brandau...I mean she had three XCO races to ride in 2020 and crashes in all 3. If shes not taking wrong turns or sprinting for the win on the penultimate lap then she's crashing. Well at last you know there will be excitement with Lizzie around.

Mariske Strauss ran third for a while, keeping the SA colours visible at the sharp end. One day neh.

Its a sad farewall to Annika Lanvad who hangs up her professional helmet today, well yesterday actually when she withdrew from the World Champs with a stomach bug. At 36 she's still young but with a family and growing dental practice I guess she's decided that choosing what colour and model Spaz to buy instead of having one forced through her door is a better way to go long term. She will be missed despite the controversy surrounding the pronunciation of her name (Yes ROBBART I'm pointing at you two>>>>) will rage on forever.

Gunn Rita made a fleeting return to the podium to receive her bronze medal for the 2018 UCI XCM world Champs3 rd spot after some Swiss woman (who got silver on the day) received a 4 year ban for doping. So Maya Yum Yum got bumped to Silver and the Gunn got 3rd.

In the U-23 ladies young Leona Lecomte continued on her winning way to take the ladies title while over in the mens Tom Pidcock of Brexit took Gold. Nino must be glad he's heading off to race on the road with Ineos in 2021 or retirement would be a valid axe hanging over his head. He also took the motorcycle title.

In the juniors our rising star Luke Moir took a respectable 9th in difficult conditions. The kids got talent so lets hope he's not too hard on himself and bounces back and continues to enjoy it first. The wins will come Luke.

and so after tomorrow another mtb season draws to a close

I missed what happened to her?

Only saw her off her bike twice looking super bleak

Apparently she crashed on some flat/non-technical section of the course, tried to carry on but realised she had a concussion and pulled out.