Jump to content

Cape Town Cycle Tour 2021


Chingy182
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 6/3/2021 at 8:48 AM, Jbr said:

by the way I got confirmation that ranking has been made from individual times from mat to mat, so I did lose A LOT of time from starting first

"Rolling start" aka a bunch start where we unfairly screw those that roll over first.
This idea was not even half baked, as nobody remembered to put the oven on...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 931
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup, I'll definitely learn from this, next time I'll start dead last if not even with a 30 secs gap and sprint back into the bunch if that's what you have to do 🤣.

I think I've lost about 25 secs since guys I crossed the line in front finished 15/20 secs before me.

Edited by Jbr
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Jbr said:

Yup, I'll definitely learn from this, next time I'll start dead last if not even with a 30 secs gap and sprint back into the bunch if that's what you have to do 🤣.

I think I've lost about 25 secs since guys I crossed the line in front finished 15/20 secs before me.

I've gone back on this thread to try and understand, but I cant. maybe try and explain it differently for me.

If they are using mat to mat for your time, how are you loosing time ?

I'm not having a go at you, I'm trying to understand so that if they use the same format for another race I can be aware

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, ouzo said:

I've gone back on this thread to try and understand, but I cant. maybe try and explain it differently for me.

If they are using mat to mat for your time, how are you loosing time ?

I'm not having a go at you, I'm trying to understand so that if they use the same format for another race I can be aware

I guess, if he starts at the front, and crosses the finish line 1st, but the rider that finishes just behind him started at the back of the group a few seconds later, then on the results the rider who started at the back would "win" on Racetec?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

if it is a rolling start from 8. Say you are first in line, you cross the line at 8:00:00.

Then among the 80 people behind you, some struggle to clip in, etc etc, the last guy from your batch will probably start rolling at 8:00:15 from where he was maybe 5 meters behind you, then he'll cross the timing mat at say 8:20.  There you go, him and you will be riding the same group, but he made 20 secs on you by crossing the line after you, meaning if you beat him by 5 secs on the finish line, he'll still be 15 secs ahead of you in the classification

Edited by Jbr
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, ouzo said:

I've gone back on this thread to try and understand, but I cant. maybe try and explain it differently for me.

If they are using mat to mat for your time, how are you loosing time ?

I'm not having a go at you, I'm trying to understand so that if they use the same format for another race I can be aware

They don't use mat to mat, its start groups time and your end time, so if you roll over last, you few minuts later than start groups start time.

well, that how its been for every CTCT i've done.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

"Rolling start" aka a bunch start where we unfairly screw those that roll over first.
This idea was not even half baked, as nobody remembered to put the oven on...

I guess if you had cycled for a while you get used to PPA trying random different ideas which only sometimes work.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Karman de Lange said:

They don't use mat to mat, its start groups time and your end time, so if you roll over last, you few minuts later than start groups start time.

well, that how its been for every CTCT i've done.

This is the answer racetec gave me :

Quote

The results for this event was calculated individually for each participant, from the time they crossed the start mat until the time they crossed the finish mat (mat-to-mat timing).

The positions on the website will therefore differ compared to the positions you finished across the finish line, as a rider who started behind you could have a faster finish time to yours overall.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Jbr said:

if it is a rolling start from 8. Say you are first in line, you cross the line at 8:00:00.

Then among the 80 people behind you, some struggle to clip in, etc etc, the last guy from your batch will probably start rolling at 8:00:15 from where he was maybe 5 meters behind you, then he'll cross the timing mat at say 8:20.  There you go, him and you will be riding the same group, but he made 20 secs on you by crossing the line after you, meaning if you beat him by 5 secs on the finish line, he'll still be 15 secs ahead of you in the classification

 

3 minutes ago, Karman de Lange said:

They don't use mat to mat, its start groups time and your end time, so if you roll over last, you few minuts later than start groups start time.

well, that how its been for every CTCT i've done.

 

 

This is where I was confused, it was mentioned mat to mat which would mean the guy at the back started after you and would have to ride faster than you to beat your time, but if its the normal start group to mat type of timing then it all makes sense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, ouzo said:

 

This is where I was confused, it was mentioned mat to mat which would mean the guy at the back started after you and would have to ride faster than you to beat your time, but if its the normal start group to mat type of timing then it all makes sense.

Yo it becomes a bit complicated haha. 

The start was a normal start like any other race, except the timing was mat to mat, so we didn't start the clock all at the same time depending on where/when we crossed the start line

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Its not complicated.

under normal circumstances the start time of the group is set and everyone gets the same start time. So being first across the line will give you the best possible finishtime since a rider further back may be standing twiddling their thumbs waiting for the group to get going while the front of the group is halfway to Hospital Bend. The mats immediately after the start just verifies that you started. Your finishtime is taken when your timing chip first registers across the finish line mats.

With the mat to mat timing your start time is taken when YOU cross the line i.e. the timing chip triggers the first mat.

Your finish time is when YOUR chip triggers the finishline mat. This is actually a more fair representation of your time and position.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jbr said:

This is the answer racetec gave me :

 

Well, must be something new cause when I finished the sportiff, they could not do mat to mat, maybe to many people complained and where forced to update their scripts...

but luckily i'm not racing the CTCT  this year (if it happens) .. so don't really care, just want to have the badge that I finished another.

Edited by Karman de Lange
spelling
Link to comment
Share on other sites

what is complicated is the posts crossing each-other ;)

It isn't "fair" as these are not TT races with no drafting allowed. It's a bunch race so whoever crosses the line first should get the rewards (it's not like we went flat out from the start so I got no advantage from starting first over the guys who started last as we just rolled for the 1st km) but there's no need to talk about it for ever, it's just good to know so you don't get tricked at the next race. No harm done.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Karman de Lange said:

Well, must be something new cause when I finished the sportiff, they could not do mat to mat, maybe to many people complained and where forced to update there scripts...

but luckily i'm not racing the CTCT  this year (if it happens) .. so don't really care, just want to have the badge that I finished another.

The initial results were "right", they changed them the next day

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Jbr said:

what is complicated is the posts crossing each-other ;)

It isn't "fair" as these are not TT races with no drafting allowed. It's a bunch race so whoever crosses the line first should get the rewards 

Spot on. At WT races you don't see Caleb Ewan sprinting to the finish line and then the next day they say he was relegated to 10th because 9 other riders rolled over the line 15secs after him at the start so their times are faster.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Jbr said:

what is complicated is the posts crossing each-other ;)

It isn't "fair" as these are not TT races with no drafting allowed. It's a bunch race so whoever crosses the line first should get the rewards (it's not like we went flat out from the start so I got no advantage from starting first over the guys who started last as we just rolled for the 1st km) but there's no need to talk about it for ever, it's just good to know so you don't get tricked at the next race. No harm done.

Wonder if they going to enforce the mask rule for bunch riding..... (as far i'm aware this is still a thing)

I can already see one large f-up with whole rolilng start thing, but might be surprised , but i'm not going to stress about it and starting nice and late with the socialist

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

My Profile My Forum Content My Followed Content Forum Settings Ad Messages My Ads My Favourites My Saved Alerts My Pay Deals Settings Help Logout