Cape Town Cycle Tour 2021

Chingy182

i try and do that bit so fast i forgot about it haha. If you smash the first hill you havw the whole of the m3 to rest your legs. Well thats what i do anyway lol.

and again, thats one of the spots with the most fans normally...you hardly notice the climb then

Ha ha, yup! I also like smashing up Wineberg Hill............because it is nice to pass others as if they are standing still, but that is usually also the last smashing I'll do. OK, in a good year I'll smash Smitswinkels also, but by the time Chappies come  up, I usually have to start pacing myself not to completely burst into flames...........once in a while though, that feeling only happens on Suikerbossie...........and then I know it was a sensational year for me. All relative of course!

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For those upcountry around Jozi. Do a ride from Circus Cafe in the Midvaal area to SBR with a full loop and back. If you can comfortably or even with relative comfort do that, then you're plenty ready for any of the century rides in SA.
It's a great barometer as a route and a genuinely beautiful ride. Plus you can always meet up with the family/friends at Circus Cafe after.

i try and do that bit so fast i forgot about it haha. If you smash the first hill you havw the whole of the m3 to rest your legs. Well thats what i do anyway lol.

and again, thats one of the spots with the most fans normally...you hardly notice the climb then

going to be see how they manage spectators, with due regard for whatever the covid regs may be in October ....

The spectators and the resultant vibe is a big part of this event ....

Let's HOPE things turn for the positive in the next 5 months, and that this may be a NICE race.  :thumbup:

going to be see how they manage spectators, with due regard for whatever the covid regs may be in October ....

The spectators and the resultant vibe is a big part of this event ....

Let's HOPE things turn for the positive in the next 5 months, and that this may be a NICE race.  :thumbup:

well thats the thing...that first part is basically just people in their own driveways. 

20 hours ago, MORNE said:

imo if you can manage a 50km ride without dying you'll manage the ctct. the raceday vibe makes the diustance alot better. thats what i built my wife up to every time lol. in anycase...it's basically flat all the way to simonstown...and then theres only like 3 small hills in the way ????

PPA 110km seeding events are absolute dogcrap. they feel like 500km to me for the reasons stated above lol 

As someone who is relatively fit, perhaps. Over the years, I've seen quite a few event participants struggle on a flat and even 1% downhill. They have 12Km to go, so the sums in the head say, "it will take 30 mins", but find it takes them close to an hour.

2 hours ago, Frosty said:

As someone who is relatively fit, perhaps. Over the years, I've seen quite a few event participants struggle on a flat and even 1% downhill. They have 12Km to go, so the sums in the head say, "it will take 30 mins", but find it takes them close to an hour.

That final stretch after Lundudno is a mind trick. It’s basically flat, but it never seems to end and then throw in a little punch hill here and there and the tired body just refuses to work. 

51 minutes ago, ouzo said:

That final stretch after Lundudno is a mind trick. It’s basically flat, but it never seems to end and then throw in a little punch hill here and there and the tired body just refuses to work. 

If there are gaps it gets tricky, otherwise just hang on till the big sunglasses.

2 minutes ago, Pure Savage said:

If there are gaps it gets tricky, otherwise just hang on till the big sunglasses.

Us riders starting further back doing 4hours plus dont get to ride in bunches for very long. Plus usually by that point there is nothing left in the tank.

(having said that, last year I was going really well but failed to fuel and bonked before chappies, this year I WAY WAY fitter and stronger so as long as I fuel I should have a great ride all the way to the end)

25 minutes ago, ouzo said:

Us riders starting further back doing 4hours plus dont get to ride in bunches for very long. Plus usually by that point there is nothing left in the tank.

That’s exactly why it’s important for a newbie to get experience in other events before attempting a “big” event. Fit people quickly forget how hard it can be as a newbie, and think it is easy to ride 100km+

29 minutes ago, ouzo said:

(having said that, last year I was going really well but failed to fuel and bonked before chappies, this year I WAY WAY fitter and stronger so as long as I fuel I should have a great ride all the way to the end)

All one really needs is a tandem to sit on, should be able to sit on their wheel out of Camps Bay :)

6 minutes ago, SoloCyclist said:

After how many tours are you no longer a "noobie" ?

Starting from the back...And finishing within the cutoff....while having fun.

imo

23 minutes ago, Pure Savage said:

All one really needs is a tandem to sit on, should be able to sit on their wheel out of Camps Bay :)

if there is nothing left in the tank by the time you hit camps bay just turning the pedals is tough.

I remember one year, going along seapoint, in the drops trying to edge out the last bits from my body when 2 ladies on MTB come sailing past, happily chatting away with not an ounce of effort being shown.

14 minutes ago, ouzo said:

if there is nothing left in the tank by the time you hit camps bay just turning the pedals is tough.

I remember one year, going along seapoint, in the drops trying to edge out the last bits from my body when 2 ladies on MTB come sailing past, happily chatting away with not an ounce of effort being shown.

I have stopped at every physio station after Ocean view one year.

Just now, Pure Savage said:

I have stopped at every physio station after Ocean view one year.

I actually want to do that one year. maybe not so much the physios, but atleast the water points. Take my time and just tour the entire route.

1 minute ago, ouzo said:

I actually want to do that one year. maybe not so much the physios, but atleast the water points. Take my time and just tour the entire route.

Was about to say, if you not in cramp, you may become "THAT GUY".