Cape Town Cycle Tour 2021

Chingy182

33 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Its up to el presidente  as well as the local authorities in this case CoCT :(

My gut feel is that the event will happen, I know the CoCT authorities gave the go ahead for the Cape Town Marathon which is just a week after so don't know why CTCT would be different. Unless the 4th wave hits us early or the 3rd wave refuse to go away I see myself riding around the peninsula on the 10th.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

My gut feel is that the event will happen, I know the CoCT authorities gave the go ahead for the Cape Town Marathon which is just a week after so don't know why CTCT would be different. Unless the 4th wave hits us early or the 3rd wave refuse to go away I see myself riding around the peninsula on the 10th.

my hope is with your optimism!

If they do cancel it, I suppose then it will be another "get out of jail because of being unfit" card for me.........but I am still hoping............despite knowing that I will suffer badly if it goes ahead.

11 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

The unfortunate reality is that until we have a decent vaccination percentage, we are just going to have wave after wave. 

Hope I am wrong.

If they do cancel it now, we are at 50%

6.1.3. if the Cape Town Cycle Tour is cancelled or postponed between 10 August 2021 and 16 September 2021 then the entrant will be refunded 50% of the entry fee (less bank charges if applicable);
6.1.4. if the Cape Town Cycle Tour is cancelled or postponed between 17 September 2021 and the day of the event, no refund will be given.

9 minutes ago, FondTF2 said:

The unfortunate reality is that until we have a decent vaccination percentage, we are just going to have wave after wave. 

Hope I am wrong.

In order to get to a decent vaccination rate we need to inform everyone not vaccinated ow important this is but it appears people would rather wash their ouths with Hydrogen Peroxide than take a needle to the arm

Even vaccinated we will have wave after wave, the death rate will just be minimal and it will treated as a cold or flu. 

Infection rates won't change.

CTCT will likely go ahead. Everyone is desperate for it to happen as a symbol that represents a step, however small, away from the full on covid regulations. It probably 'shouldn't' go ahead, but that is a whole different discussion.

Agree, and it does seem that the date falls "between waves" - seems that is at least one thing we have become better at predicting since the start of the pandemic. 

32 minutes ago, Long Wheel Base said:

I am training like the race is happening so I really hope it does go ahead. I get my 2nd jab on 3rd September but I will still take all the precautions I have been for the last 16 odd months.

Did my usual route past your ex employer this morning and realized how much fitness and strength I’ve lost. 
need to ramp up the training. 

Just now, ouzo said:

Did my usual route past your ex employer this morning and realized how much fitness and strength I’ve lost. 
need to ramp up the training. 

Still my employer for 1 more month, Last day is 15 September. This time next month I will be waking up unemployed, looking forward to it. I will look out for you, I am still getting to work between 06h15 and 06h30.

4 minutes ago, Long Wheel Base said:

Still my employer for 1 more month, Last day is 15 September. This time next month I will be waking up unemployed, looking forward to it. I will look out for you, I am still getting to work between 06h15 and 06h30.

Cool will look for you. 
hopefully they sort out that burst pipe, been running like that for more than a week.  

1 minute ago, ouzo said:

Cool will look for you. 
hopefully they sort out that burst pipe, been running like that for more than a week.  

That thing has been like that for a few weeks hey. Some days it runs a bit slower(today was a bit more than most days). I think it is water from that big tank in emperors grounds. But it's only like that in the mornings, when I go home it's dry. I think it has been an issue for years though, I remember going to garden of lights years ago and had to park on the pavement near that tank and the ground was so water logged that a few cars got stuck.

4 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

Even vaccinated we will have wave after wave, the death rate will just be minimal and it will treated as a cold or flu. 

Infection rates won't change.

CTCT will likely go ahead. Everyone is desperate for it to happen as a symbol that represents a step, however small, away from the full on covid regulations. It probably 'shouldn't' go ahead, but that is a whole different discussion.

Going to be a close call ....

Right now our lovely goverment has decreed that anybody under 45 will NOT be tested, unless admitted to hospital.  This was in the media two weeks ago ...  last week clinics had a TOUGH TIME with people under 45 showing all the symptoms, but without a positive test result they cant stay away from work, nor keep their kids out of school ....

No wonder our "numbers look better", but our hospital admissions are constantly increasing - specifically the Western Cape.

No end to this 3rd wave, not while they refuse to test nor isolate the sick ....

should be fine. still 2 months to go. and in anycase, there are more people in close proximity in malls these days. Some good clean fun on a bicycle, outside, probably in the wind and/or rain shouldn't pose any increased threat at the arsend of the current cycle. 

all they have to do is manage the start and water points correctly and going by the first ppa event this year…they’ll have it figured out by then. you have a bigger chance catching it while doing grocery shopping anyway. when last were you in a line where the people around you gave you 2m space? exactly.

You are touching on malls and grocery stores, but I feel like with the way people are behaving in restaurants that every single night the dinner run in any given suburb is a bigger spreading event than a cycle race would be...