Cape Town Cycle Tour 2021

Chingy182

ASSUMPTIONS TIME!

covid 3rd wave shuts stuff down for winter, but it's open by october

argus gets 15 000 people riding

thumbsuck is that maybe 2000max of those people will have done an event in the year 2021.

STRAVA seeding will be the best way to group people

there are ways to cheat of course, but design it well and outliers will be caught 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

ASSUMPTIONS TIME!

thumbsuck is that maybe 2000max of those people will have done an event in the year 2021.

there are ways to cheat of course, but design it well and outliers will be caught 

I’d be happy with a poor seeding and just the ability to ride around CT on closed roads with fellow cyclists 

I just want the event to happen 

5 hours ago, Jbr said:

I don't trust Approxweather at all, look on windguru you'll see the wind predictions have shifted and even google now says no rain for sunday. I'm confident it should be dry-ish

accuweather also shows the rain moved on for now...sunshine actually, so it looks like it is a go. it obviously changed between when i posted and when you posted lol

1 minute ago, MORNE said:

accuweather also shows the rain moved on for now...sunshine actually, so it looks like it is a go. it obviously changed between when i posted and when you posted lol

Changing of the seasons .... they always predict rain in 4 or 5 days time .... mostly it keeps on shifting out .... ????

59 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

ASSUMPTIONS TIME!

that sportive on Sunday is going to fall JUST inside 5 months so at least 500 people (sold out) there will have some sort of seeding i guess. 

also...not everyone is on strava so screw that haha. i'd rather they just use 2019's seeding then.

Edited by MORNE

Entered last minute and super excited - Covid has taught one to experience the familiar with new appreciation and it feels a bit like my first ARGUS (perhaps also because it is going to be a different kind of thing this year). 

More importantly, I read somewhere that there will be no hospitality at the finish and now I'm wondering: if one were to take a quick, INFORMAL rest on the lawns at Seapoint Stadium after finishing, and there was to be the odd coincidental beer stand, and one were to guence one's thirst, and one were to  - over the required 1.5m distance - share a few quick thoughts on the race, and consume another quick beer, and perhaps grab a quick bite from a passing mobile Spur Burger "waentjie", would that constitute a problematic mass gathering? ????     

Edited by Karooryder

Did a race with a rolling start on sunday... well lesson learnt, don't start first row of the main group in your start bunch, you will end up losing many positions to people who cross the line behind you if you finish in a bunch sprint...

The fact that they made us start all together made me think it could be a normal classification, but looks like when in doubt, just take it as a TT just to be safe..

Edited by Jbr

9 minutes ago, Jbr said:

Did a race with a rolling start on sunday... well lesson learnt, don't start first row of the main group in your start bunch, you will end up losing many positions to people who cross the line behind you if you finish in a bunch sprint...

The fact that they made us start all together made me think it could be a normal classification, but looks like when in doubt, just take it as a TT just to be safe..

We tried the "rolling start" but when we got to start in our timeslot, the next bunch was already in and we could not leave, the bunches only left at 15minute intervals, there was no rolling....  so we had to start with next bunch and hung around for 15minutes in the crowd ... so much for social distancing warra etc warra

Edited by Karman de Lange

2 hours ago, Karman de Lange said:

We tried the "rolling start" but when we got to start in our timeslot, the next bunch was already in and we could not leave, the bunches only left at 15minute intervals, there was no rolling....  so we had to start with next bunch and hung around for 15minutes in the crowd ... so much for social distancing warra etc warra

Makes the results even more stupid then... Between sunday and monday I lost 10 positions and guys that were behind me on the line and in the racetec results on sunday are now 10secs in front of me... I sent an email to try to understand.

Sucks that you had to start with the next group as well...

Edited by Jbr

The only thing that peeved me off was the fact that i passed about 3 people on Ebikes also racing, And 1 female passed us up Hells as if we were all on rollers. Oh and the fact that at 75km/h on the Hellshoogte descent I was having to brake behind cars going over the speedbumps because there was no Marshall with us and we were the leading bunch of our group.

2 hours ago, Jbr said:

Makes the results even more stupid then... Between sunday and monday I lost 10 positions and guys that were behind me on the line and in the racetec results on sunday are now 10secs in front of me... I sent an email to try to understand.

Sucks that you had to start with the next group as well...

Yeah I also seem to have moved up 1 position to a "podium spot" because I can only assume I rolled over the start mat after the guy who was before me, If the decide to DQ to lady on the Ebike, then I move up 1 more spot LOL

5 minutes ago, FootballingCyclist said:

The only thing that peeved me off was the fact that i passed about 3 people on Ebikes also racing, And 1 female passed us up Hells as if we were all on rollers. Oh and the fact that at 75km/h on the Hellshoogte descent I was having to brake behind cars going over the speedbumps because there was no Marshall with us and we were the leading bunch of our group.

what group were you ? we got cut off by a car at the end of helshoogte descent before Hellsend, that was very very sketchy

4 minutes ago, FootballingCyclist said:

Ebikers have NO business in seeding events ... 

Even if they are "only doing a fun ride" there are just so many ways they do influence the final results for serious racers.

Allowing ebikes to start in the LAST group at events such as CTCT is a PRIVALEDGE .... This type of behaviour can only spoil it for other ebikers.

lol yea...i was eventually cruising along in my small group at the back, a few ebikes included. Miffed i didnt start with the first half of the group (we were split), since they had the faster guys and i just couldn't bridge the gap on my own.  Once we hit hell's all the ebikes decided it was time to go fast. Happily used us all to save battery up to there... 

I was on my vintage roadie....FARK i was so uncomfortable after 50km. I was wishing I brought my MTB at one stage, i have done faster averages on it after all. I dont want to do CTCT on it anymore haha. I was telling people....that road bike was from a time when racing was dangerous, sex safe and men had leg hair. Also...52/42-24 is not conducive to granny gearing. My Bar-one only provided so many extra horsepowers. The flats were nice though. It cruises lekker. Got up to 70kph, thought i was going to die but I made it. 

The last 20km were torture. I felt every single piece of aggregate in that road surface. Val-de-vie is all nice and bling inside but the roads outside are absolute dog crap.

On 5/13/2021 at 9:04 AM, Shebeen said:

that's not there anymore..unless you're talking about the little Slangkop riser from the 4way stop to oceanview

That one

12 hours ago, MORNE said:

lol yea...i was eventually cruising along in my small group at the back, a few ebikes included. Miffed i didnt start with the first half of the group (we were split), since they had the faster guys and i just couldn't bridge the gap on my own.  Once we hit hell's all the ebikes decided it was time to go fast. Happily used us all to save battery up to there... 

I was on my vintage roadie....FARK i was so uncomfortable after 50km. I was wishing I brought my MTB at one stage, i have done faster averages on it after all. I dont want to do CTCT on it anymore haha. I was telling people....that road bike was from a time when racing was dangerous, sex safe and men had leg hair. Also...52/42-24 is not conducive to granny gearing. My Bar-one only provided so many extra horsepowers. The flats were nice though. It cruises lekker. Got up to 70kph, thought i was going to die but I made it. 

The last 20km were torture. I felt every single piece of aggregate in that road surface. Val-de-vie is all nice and bling inside but the roads outside are absolute dog crap.

*Horse crap