Coronavirus lockdown and exercising outdoors

What a twat.

I would liken it to drinking a "brannas" in front of a group of recovering alcoholics, a seriously dicky move.

Exactly. For me it's not that the oke is riding. He lives in the middle of nowhere so no real harm done. But for the love of god. At least make your strava activity private.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can somebody please send this link to Cyril before his speech tonight.... Would love to see cycling allowed during the "Relaxed Lockdown" phase we will go into next. I suspect commuting to work will become more popular.

We are all gagging to get out there again - and for the bike shops to open!

(I have an insurance payout that needs spending)

There is still that risk of an injury that requires hospitalisation - you don't wanna go there.

I had an over the bonnet scare on the day before lock down, and that was when there were only a few hundred cases...

Exactly this. And not just because he might get ill from being in hospital but he will be taking up resources that will be needed in the shtstorm that's still on the horizon. 

It's stupid entitlement and ought to be highlighted to the community and brought to his attention in no uncertain terms.

We are all gagging to get out there again - and for the bike shops to open!

(I have an insurance payout that needs spending)

There is still that risk of an injury that requires hospitalisation - you don't wanna go there.
I had an over the bonnet scare on the day before lock down, and that was when there were only a few hundred cases...

Exactly this. And not just because he might get ill from being in hospital but he will be taking up resources that will be needed in the shtstorm that's still on the horizon. 

It's stupid entitlement and ought to be highlighted to the community and brought to his attention in no uncertain terms.

SO how many hospitalized crashes do you have in your friend circle in the past....say.....4 months?

ONE on my side.  

Cyclist don't crash on a daily basis and taking up hospital beds are not a thing.

Just my 2c

SO how many hospitalized crashes do you have in your friend circle in the past....say.....4 months?

ONE on my side.  

Cyclist don't crash on a daily basis and taking up hospital beds are not a thing.

Just my 2c

not 4 months, but these are the recent ones. And 5 incidents requiring hospital time

1 - snapped ligaments in hand, surgery to the thumb joint to reattach ligaments

2 - slow speed crash on jeep track, resulting in 15cm (approx) laceration requiring quite a few stitches

3 - riding with latent bronchitis (no symptoms at all) which resulted in a trip to the ER to be placed on oxygen and have x rays

4 - OTB on a jump resulting in triple fracture on pelvis & sacrum

5 - cracked ribs

Forgot about this one

6 - OTB onto head, laceration to the scalp as well as low grade concussion resulting in an afternoon in the ER. 

Edited by Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

not 4 months, but these are the recent ones. And 5 incidents requiring hospital time

2 - slow speed crash on jeep track, resulting in 15cm (approx) laceration requiring quite a few stitches

3 - riding with latent bronchitis (no symptoms at all) which resulted in a trip to the ER to be placed on oxygen and have x rays

5 - cracked ribs

Forgot about this one

6 - OTB onto head, laceration to the scalp as well as low grade concussion resulting in an afternoon in the ER. 

So how long is this timeline then? Any of these happen in 2020 that you were actually witness to? I'm going to bet no.

On a long enough time line the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Bit longer than 4 months and I have a pretty small circle of riding friends / acquinances.

1. Bottle jam in spokes -OTB

2. Fall on Cobra usual collarbone

3. OTB testing a bike - broken shoulder.

It's a high risk sport - 

When I did my femoral neck a couple of years ago the surgeon said we cyclists are bigger business for him than Rugby and motorbikes put together.

ONE on my side.  

Just my 2c

5 - cracked ribs

Forgot about this one

I think cyclists also create angst.

If gym bunnies and Surfers and people with other 'still banned' activities start seeing cyclists 'clogging up the roads' and skipping red lights and stopping on top of suikerbossie or pass each other closer than 2m or ride in the road while passing another cyclist at 2m etc there will be angst.

The country is already a tinder box waiting to explode. As much as I want to run the trails in the mountains with my doggo, ride over chappies, hit Tokai etc I can't see them allowing it without either receiving serious ire from the irksome or re-opening the beaches etc to make things 'fair'.

It's all conjecture though... I believe we will hear a part of our immediate fate tonight. Holding thumbs they reopen Hardware stores, bike shops etc even if it is just courier fetch and carry trading.

Yes and amen to the bike shops - I really want my LBS to survive this - I need those MOFOS

If gym bunnies and Surfers and people with other 'still banned' activities start seeing cyclists 'clogging up the roads' and skipping red lights and stopping on top of suikerbossie or pass each other closer than 2m or ride in the road while passing another cyclist at 2m etc there will be angst.

The country is already a tinder box waiting to explode. As much as I want to run the trails in the mountains with my doggo, ride over chappies, hit Tokai etc I can't see them allowing it without either receiving serious ire from the irksome or re-opening the beaches etc to make things 'fair'.

It's all conjecture though... I believe we will hear a part of our immediate fate tonight. Holding thumbs they reopen Hardware stores, bike shops etc even if it is just courier fetch and carry trading.

5 - cracked ribs

Forgot about this one

The sound of a sacrum injury makes my eyes water...

5 - cracked ribs

Forgot about this one

You are a private ED's dream 

qMfoB0L.jpg

Someone posted this in our surf group on whatsapp and I nearly flipped my ****.

I mean my knee jerk reaction was to ask how on earth you could be this selfish and shortsighted.

But then I realized that certain things just don't occur to some people. Especially if doesn't affect them directly. Through no fault of their own. But if you explain things beyond that which occurs to them and allow them to see the bigger picture. Chances are they would and backpedal on such notions.

But if you come out swinging and challenge them. They will remain shortsighted. Stand stubbornly firm in their beliefs. Cherry pick justification thereof and even garner a following. 

And when masses of shortsighted people stand together. Then you have a problem.

ONE on my side.  

Just my 2c

Not to your question, but its also really besides the point for me.

You're not supposed to be outside. Fullstop. End.

The fact someone lives in the sticks alone has nothing to do with anything. I don't know why we always have to try bend the rules to suit ourselves - rules is rules.