Coronavirus lockdown and exercising outdoors

Thanks for trying your best and being honest.

My wife also feels claustrophobic with a mask, might be something in the genes...

Do you struggle with breathing at Recovery pace as well or only at higher intensities?

I struggle at any intensity... I start okay, but find I get extremely claustrophobic and dizzy after a few minutes. I think it is the fact that I am rebreathing that warm air I have just exhaled that gets to me. Even in the shops just standing around I find it horrible (obviously I wear it in the shops though).

To put it in context though, I sleep with an aircon on 17 degrees and fan on year round. Even with just the aircon on I find there is not enough air moving around. So these face masks just don't work for me.

Add to that, I sweat an excessive amount meaning anything I wear is drenched in sweat within 15mins of the start of exercise, even in winter...

I understand the importance of wearing a mask, and I did try, but it just is not going to happen during exercise for me.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite simple, I can't breathe with a mask on. I have tried Ciovita, Anatomic, a buff. Simply can't ride with one on. I ride with a buff around my neck, and I pull it over my mouth when I come across other people, which is luckily once or twice in a ride - I'm lucky to be out on some open trails where I live. 

For now it's not a legal requirement, so I am not going to lose sleep over it. 

EDIT: I am guessing real elite athletes also find it easier to exercise with a thing on their face that restricts breathing that recreational cyclists.

i also ride with my buff and seem to be managing fine but I will definitely admit it is more difficult breathing once you start pushing a bit. The added downside also is.....the extra humidity in there makes me want to blow my nose (snot rockets)  more....so there that 

Any tips on how to stop glasses from getting misted when wearing a mask?

Gary', long time no type around these parts of the Interwebs?

Unless I've missed your posts.

Very little one can do with fogging up especially with nose covered as well.

Hopefully lenses have good ventilation for clearance.

:thumbup:

Edited by 'Dale

I struggle at any intensity... I start okay, but find I get extremely claustrophobic and dizzy after a few minutes. I think it is the fact that I am rebreathing that warm air I have just exhaled that gets to me. Even in the shops just standing around I find it horrible (obviously I wear it in the shops though).

To put it in context though, I sleep with an aircon on 17 degrees and fan on year round. Even with just the aircon on I find there is not enough air moving around. So these face masks just don't work for me.

Add to that, I sweat an excessive amount meaning anything I wear is drenched in sweat within 15mins of the start of exercise, even in winter...

I understand the importance of wearing a mask, and I did try, but it just is not going to happen during exercise for me.

Likewise, i also sleep with aircon at 17 degrees all year round.  When i lived up in JHb i used to open the windows in middle of winter to sleep in that cool 2 degree air.  I cant even stand in a que for 2 minutes before i start hyperventaling in the mask let alone run.  I run with my buff and also slip it on when i pass people but i cant use train in them.

With the above mentioned issues of excercising with a mask: what do you guys think will happen with things like 947 this year or next?

Will we see requirements that you can ride but you must have a mask? Or are events like these essentially assumed non-starters until a vaccine has been rolled out?

Likewise, i also sleep with aircon at 17 degrees all year round.  When i lived up in JHb i used to open the windows in middle of winter to sleep in that cool 2 degree air.  I cant even stand in a que for 2 minutes before i start hyperventaling in the mask let alone run.  I run with my buff and also slip it on when i pass people but i cant use train in them.

Try a few puffs on an asthavent or similar right before you set off.

With the above mentioned issues of excercising with a mask: what do you guys think will happen with things like 947 this year or next?

Cancelled completely will be my guess for this year. Next year will be business as usual.

Try a few puffs on an asthavent or similar right before you set off.

I'm asthmatic, so a puff or two of asthavent is a given for any exercise for me haha

Will we see requirements that you can ride but you must have a mask? Or are events like these essentially assumed non-starters until a vaccine has been rolled out?

Also guessing completely cancelled for next year. Although masks are helpfull, in a big group like that it is like sticking a bandaid on a gunshot wound.

I'm asthmatic, so a puff or two of asthavent is a given for any exercise for me haha

Oh, then I'm out of ideas. What you (and stievef) described for a non-asthmatic, the asthavent solution woulda worked a bomb.

Any tips on how to stop glasses from getting misted when wearing a mask?

clean with shaving cream. Toothpaste also works. 

Also guessing completely cancelled for next year. Although masks are helpfull, in a big group like that it is like sticking a bandaid on a gunshot wound.

Agree, normal peloton riding must be put on ice for quite a while.

I wonder if there will be an appetite for Solo riding competitions..

TT's

Hillclimbs

The 947 organisers won't be able to accommodate the numbers, but events like the local Kerkbasaar event or cycling club might be able to pull something off to keep us interested and also generate some income for charities...

My wife battles with breathing during high intensity training so she naturally battles with a buff on. For me it makes no difference. Actually nice as it warms up the air before I breath it in. 

Wish I had done this earlier, I remember cycling in Greyton and it was freezing, got back and I couldn't feel my hands and leg's for what must have been over an hour. 

Edited by Let's Ride

My wife battles with breathing during high intensity training so she naturally battles with a buff on. For me it makes no difference. Actually nice as it warms up the air before I breath it in. 

Wish I had done this earlier, I remember cycling in Greyton and it was freezing, got back and I couldn't feel my hands and leg's for what must have been over an hour. 

Greyton... I wouldn't mind a little MTB trip over there this weekend... Or anywhere really...

If you looking at doing some proper training outdoors, this might just be of interest to li.

We have 3 spots left for next weekend, and although it only mentions a JHB departure, we are also doing a shuttle from Durban.

Hi Kobus. I’m sure lockdown must be getting you down too right now. I have found a gap to go do a bit of proper mountain biking in KZN next weekend.

Thought you might be interested. We still have place for 2 or maybe 3 riders

http://adventurelogistics.co.za/zululand-wild-ride/

It is all 100% above board.