Coronavirus lockdown and exercising outdoors

I was fortunate to study under Dr Less Rencontre many years back.

He did his phd in writing the earlier versions of stress analysis programming, using CFD theory.

He was passionate about "BS in = BS out" ....  He always emphasized the need to do conventionaly designs to determine the ball park answers, then to use CFD to determine the exact answer.

And YES, you really need to be ON TOP of ALL the "factors" ....

And frankly .... the world simply dont seem to be on top of Covid, not to the point where they can accurately identify all the parameters ... so computer modeling (of air and germ flow form one person the the next) is simply not accurate at this stage

Interesting, i studied under Dr Leslie Rencontre too.

I agree with the sentiment you're expressing here. In the absence of good science we need to use our noggins

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Been getting my mid-ride fix at VidaE for a while already.

attachicon.gifVE-7.jpg

PS - I go early, so dont join any lines of people !

Very selfish of you to be risking peoples lives by going to shops and buying coffee .  Also you cannot drink coffee with a mask on so obviously you flouted this law to.  Its people like you that are endangering my life and the lives of my loved ones.

take away coffee in a public place. Can someone please explain how you drink a coffee while wearing a mask in a public area?

Again rules not really thought out...

Common sense, really.

The rules are really guidance for the general public.

I avoid the busy coffee shops where I cannot socially distance and pedal on to the quieter one that serves a good brew. Like I shared in another thread, bunch riding is not really a matter of concern; it's when the bunch stops for their coffee when social distancing become a challenge.

Very selfish of you to be risking peoples lives by going to shops and buying coffee .  Also you cannot drink coffee with a mask on so obviously you flouted this law to.  Its people like you that are endangering my life and the lives of my loved ones.

Trigger alert:

Wearing of masks in public spaces - Is it a rule, guideline or the law?

And if we are going to be pedantic, are we breaking the law to pull your buff down (while riding on your own of course) to take a drink from your bottle ?

Trigger alert:

And if we are going to be pedantic, are we breaking the law to pull your buff down (while riding on your own of course) to take a drink from your bottle ?

It's a law with no punishment. So you are legally required to, but there are no repercussions for not doing so.

You cannot be arrested or fined or anything, that's what happens when the inmates take over the asylum. They have fogol idea of what they are doing.

Is it still a law when there is no legal means of enforcing or punishing transgressors?

Trigger alert:

Yes, taking a drink from your water bottle while riding is tantamount to murder. Don't be selfish, if you don't need to breathe while riding you certainly don't need to drink water. 

But here is how good intentions of social distancing on a ride gets ripped apart.

Group of guys organise to cycle together and agree between them adhere to social distancing fair enough logic.

No doubt at the end of the ride one guy will suggest coffee(there is always one). Now you have a bunch of guys sitting round a table or standing in a circle, no masks on having a coffee, conversing, laughing etc. That contact study now applies to the table where all sunglasses and other stuff is all placed and the risk is just climbing up and up and up. Interaction with the person making and selling the coffee, the coffee counter itself where a non cycling person who is sick has rested their hand while ordering, interaction with the touch surface of the metal railing in which your bike is left against while you have coffee.

If one guy gets a flat do you stand a few meters away while he fixes it on his ace? Or is it helping out holding a bike, sharing tools, giving him a tube etc.

Now if you rode alone chances are you will load bike and go have coffee at home afterwards, you will be 100% self sufficient and fix your issue on your own and you will be at less risk.

the need to have your gang on a ride...ok less say thats understandable...and keep your distance.. but for the need to mill around a group drinking a coffee while others don't adhere to social distancing despite good intentions etc...there always will be one who will maybe be careless...get that closer etc..then as with even queuing in shops thats the worry...we all have to beware of the new norm...but that takes time....but coffee at home for me is fine...and cheaper...

Yes, taking a drink from your water bottle while riding is tantamount to murder. Don't be selfish, if you don't need to breathe while riding you certainly don't need to drink water. 

Dehydration is a killer, just like low caffeine levels  :ph34r: 

Did a shuffle up Sugarbush yesterday. Yassas that thing is a b!tch of a thing when you are trying to run.

Did a roadie to town this morning. What an amazing morning. I put my last tube in the bike so we figured we'd chance it to town and buy a tube and some self adhesive patches.

It's been a busy weekend so far. Run Friday morning. Idt Friday. Mini hike Saturday morning. Jonkers Saturday arvo. Run yesterday morning. Roadie this morning. Tomorrow I think we'll just do a walk in the morning. Feeling a bit flat.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Okay, I will take the bait ....  :whistling:

I just came back from a nice ride with yet another stop at VidaE.  :thumbup:

VERY interesting to see the "general public" behaviour during a weekday, as apposed to the "athletic group" during weekend rides and runs ....

Suddenly EVERYBODY wears their masks !!   :eek:   :thumbup:   Even in the parking lots and sidewalks ...

At VidaE people were maintaining a about 3m social distancing.  Again EVERYBODY wearing their masks.  Not a single person taking a sip of their brew inside.

It sure was tricky, but with coffee in the one hand I pushed the bike away from the shops with the other hand, and then had my coffee in the parking lot, away from others.  And when somebody would walk to their car near me the buff was pulled up immediately.

So sorry to burst your little bubble.  But no, I did not endanger anybody.  Least of all, as an immune compromised person I did everything possible to protect myself, and thus others.

AND, I managed to do this while helping one little shop to try and pay their months rent and salaries.

As I have said so many times.  I am all for opening the economy, but in such a way that we limit the risks to everybody.

If anything, what I saw today with "general public" going about their business while maintaining social distance, wearing masks, disinfecting their hands ..... just makes me wonder even more about the behaviour of some of athletes\cyclists\runners .....  :thumbdown:   

EDIT - these comments apply to what I saw at Glen Garry shopping Centre on 15 June 2020.

Edited by ChrisF

Okay, I will take the bait ....  :whistling:

I just came back from a nice ride with yet another stop at VidaE.  :thumbup:

VERY interesting to see the "general public" behaviour during a weekday, as apposed to the "athletic group" during weekend rides and runs ....

Suddenly EVERYBODY wears their masks !!   :eek:   :thumbup:   Even in the parking lots and sidewalks ...

At VidaE people were maintaining a about 3m social distancing.  Again EVERYBODY wearing their masks.  Not a single person taking a sip of their brew inside.

It sure was tricky, but with coffee in the one hand I pushed the bike away from the shops with the other hand, and then had my coffee in the parking lot, away from others.  And when somebody would walk to their car near me the buff was pulled up immediately.

So sorry to burst your little bubble.  But no, I did not endanger anybody.  Least of all, as an immune compromised person I did everything possible to protect myself, and thus others.

AND, I managed to do this while helping one little shop to try and pay their months rent and salaries.

As I have said so many times.  I am all for opening the economy, but in such a way that we limit the risks to everybody.

If anything, what I saw today with "general public" going about their business while maintaining social distance, wearing masks, disinfecting their hands ..... just makes me wonder even more about the behaviour of some of athletes\cyclists\runners .....  :thumbdown:   

this really proves it can be done with thought for others....it can be done..

Mate I think you are the mayor of a town called Deluded cos I don't see that AT ALL when I am out and about.

Probably should clarify - and I did edit my post above - the post above relates to what I saw at Glen Garry shopping centre on 15 June 2020.  It certainly was surreal to see this level of compliance !!

Last week I had to drive 30km to another area to do a site inspection .... going through various areas there were little to zero signs of compliance .... and these areas certainly covered a wide range of socio-economic spheres of the Western Cape.  

So to see the level of compliance at Glen Gary was certainly GOOD !!  :thumbup:   Even more so when I recall the NON-compliance of athletes\runners\cyclists in this very same area two weekends ago ....

Is it simply sports people behaving badly ?

Or have people started taking this seriously as the numbers increase around them ?

As an engineer human behaviour is not my speciality.  :whistling:   :ph34r:   And the more I watch people during this period, the less I understand .....

all I know, as long as people continue to behave responsibly near this VidaE, I will continue to enjoy my coffee there.  :clap:

This makes me wonder: will areas get the infection rate they "deserve" in a sense...?

If the inhabitants of an area do better with regards to hygiene and social distancing, will they see less of an extreme outbreak compared to another area in the same district?

This makes me wonder: will areas get the infection rate they "deserve" in a sense...?

People don't "deserve" anything. People socializing over a meal is the most natural thing in the world to do. It's not a sin. They aren't doing anything wrong. It's what we do.

Cowering in your home thinking you're somehow going to escape death is the most idiotic thing in the world. Surely you're now waking up to the fact that this thing is not nearly as deadly as you've been led to believe and that you've been had?

There is NO SOCIAL distancing in the poor areas. Why don't we have dead bodies piling up in the streets?

WAKE UP people. This is being driven by the media for clicks and hits on websites.

Edited by Duane_Bosch