Coronavirus lockdown and exercising outdoors

is it just me, or the groups have never been as big as they are at the moment ? Yesterday I did a big loop from Hoogekraal to conties and bloemendaler, and from the entrance at hk there was already a group of 10+ riders, by the time I was at the skills park I was already passing another group of at least 6-7 riders. And it kept like that throughout the ride. Usually when I ride at tygerberg I see mostly duos, and sometimes groups of 3 to 4 riders but not often such large groups ?

This morning I went down to chapies on the road bike and it was ridiculous, groups of 20 riders using the whole road like they ******* own it... Luckily all the groups weren't that big every time, but it looks like poeple forgot they aren't alone out there... I spent the whole morning making my way around riders sometimes 3 side by side using the whole yellow line area and more, which is already a bit frustrating but it gets even dangerous when they do that on the ******* N1... come on guys... now we have to ride around you on the actual road with cars coming 130kph and more... **** off

Chatting to a mate of mine who works for a distributor. He says He cant understand where all the demand is coming from; Bikes, water bottles, winter cycling clothing etc etc.

Then you go for a ride at 10am o a Sunday morning and Chappies is empty but Hout Bay beach is full, Long beach must have 1000 surfers in the water, Muizenberg to Fish Hoek side walk and coastal walkway full of joggers. I lost count of the number of E-motorcycles on the road.

Long may it continue!

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. I'm loving all the people taking back the streets.

Yes there were a few very large peletons out this morning but you can hardly blame people for being out.

We left HB at 6.30 this morning. Being on chappies in the dark with the moon for company was totally magical.

Headed to Simon's town and we only really saw the peletons when we were already heading home.

Agreed. I'm loving all the people taking back the streets.

Yes there were a few very large peletons out this morning but you can hardly blame people for being out.

We left HB at 6.30 this morning. Being on chappies in the dark with the moon for company was totally magical.

Headed to Simon's town and we only really saw the peletons when we were already heading home.

Moon was massive yesterday.

I’m finding everywhere to be busy. Table mountain today was the busiest I have ever seen it no thanks to the geniuses who decided to close LH so you have everyone now on the mountain nice and packed. Also this glorious weather is to blame .

nothing is to blame for people going out on their bikes, that's a good thing. But they don't have to do it in massive groups and behave like they own the entire road. Most of the time when I go down the coast I find the drivers to be dangerous and aggressive, today I thought they were veeeeery patient considering the behavious of some of our fellow riders. Anyways, it's good to be out there on the bicycle and outside of that 5km radius of doom !

Edited by Jbr

Blouberg to Melkbos and back on Frida arvo. Jonkers yesterday. Simon's Town and back this morning.

Loads of people out doing their thing. There's a celebration of life going on out there.

Been avoiding the mornings, and ot has been pure bliss, the roads and trails are dead quiet. I should stop going on about it, as this will surely spark a new “avoid the crowds” phenomenon, and my quiet rides will be spoilt...

I rode Helderberg yesterday.

First proper adrenalin and endorphin cocktail since the start of April.

I did not realise how badly I missed it.

My speed wasn't there in the rough stuff, and the back end was as loose a Ranger on a gravel road with the traction nanny switched off. Lekker.

Midday ride so I saw no other riders but a couple of hikers. They seem to like the MTB trails, or don't know better, so we'll have to be careful and wary of them.

Hopefully I'll get out to Jonkers and Grabouw soon.

They are great lights, no more cables and battery packs. I tried twice to buy from bike addict, but both times, they said no stock, so I bought one from CRC and the other from a bike shop in Canary Wharf.

The lights arrived yesterday.

Charged them up over night and brought them to work to play with and get to know them before I mount them to the bike tonight.

They really seem to be well made and are damn bright.

I'm going to try and commute by bike tomorrow.

I rode Helderberg yesterday.

First proper adrenalin and endorphin cocktail since the start of April.

I did not realise how badly I missed it.

My speed wasn't there in the rough stuff, and the back end was as loose a Ranger on a gravel road with the traction nanny switched off. Lekker.

Midday ride so I saw no other riders but a couple of hikers. They seem to like the MTB trails, or don't know better, so we'll have to be careful and wary of them.

Hopefully I'll get out to Jonkers and Grabouw soon.

Encountered some hikers along the Tygerberg Traverse yesterday ... can be fun around fast corners ....

They certainly were friendly

Did my first mtb ride at Bloemendal trails on Saturday morning.

I must say that has been the most cyclists I have seen out on the trails in a day.

Did my first mtb ride at Bloemendal trails on Saturday morning.

I must say that has been the most cyclists I have seen out on the trails in a day.

If you want to avoid the crowds bloemies is the last place you want to go haha, except for bloemendaaler but it isn't in the best condition at the moment, only did it on the XC bike this weekend, and I forgot to unlock my shock, it felt rouuuuuugh ;)

Hopefully I can get the enduro bike ready shortly... can't believe I threw away a perfectly good front tyre when I cleaned up the garage :'(

Edited by Jbr

If you want to avoid the crowds bloemies is the last place you want to go haha, except for bloemendaaler but it isn't in the best condition at the moment, only did it on the XC bike this weekend, and I forgot to unlock my shock, it felt rouuuuuugh ;)

Hopefully I can get the enduro bike ready shortly... can't believe I threw away a perfectly good front tyre when I cleaned up the garage :'(

Honestly, I didn't mind at all. 

Being locked up for so long, it is refreshing going out on a morning ride with 10 000 people around me.

The only slightly annoying bit was riding the Altydgedacht/D'Aria corridor with traffic going both ways and a lot of sections not really catering for an easy pass. 

The lights arrived yesterday.

Charged them up over night and brought them to work to play with and get to know them before I mount them to the bike tonight.

They really seem to be well made and are damn bright.

I'm going to try and commute by bike tomorrow.

Wow, 1000 lumens is bright, like having your cars headlights on.

Just took a spin around the ‘hood to test.

Wow, 1000 lumens is bright, like having your cars headlights on.

Just took a spin around the ‘hood to test.

A car headlight is around 700 lumens.