If you have 60K for an enduro bike?

Stephen_TM

Right at the moment?

I'd buy a slightly used, but very well disinfected R40 000 second hand bike and use the balance to pay for accommodation at a lonely mountain cabin with nice trails nearby where I can self isolate for a month or so.  ;)  

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You clearly have no idea of prices and you can’t get the new Enduro in SA.

I have already apologised.... No I don't follow prices so have removed my previous post aswell

Edited by Jay_B

Ask Captain Fat Excuses Mayhem. He will tell you.

The only thing more consistent than Myles giving advice on enduro threads, is your trolling of Myles.

Time to let it go, put a new record on the player, this one is stuck.

Jeepers, I think I'd have a crisis of choice at that level. So many good options available at the moment. If I could offer one suggestion, it'd be to test before you buy. Even though some bikes may have more or less the same measurements and suspension travel, they may be vastly different in terms of how they behave on the trail. 

Silverback Slider LT

Reign 29 / Trance 29
Tranny Patrol / Sentinel 

Banshee Spitfire / Phantom

Ibis Ripmo AF
Scott Genius 

Spaz Enduro (should be able to pick one of the last gen up at a great price)

Commencal Meta Trail / AM 

and on and on and on. 

Firstly, decide what sort of rider you are. Do you prefer searching for features, look for air everywhere and float over rock gardens, or do you just engage hulk smash and steamroll through the gnar, wanting to go in as straight a line as possible?

Once you've done that, read / watch the reviews of the bikes in your price bracket and desired travel range, and eliminate the ones that don't act the way you want the bike to act (poppy v ploughy) while shortlisting the rest. See if any of those are available locally and for a test, and see which one tickles your fancy. I know this phrase has been thrown around a lot, but today there really is no such thing as a bad bike. But there is such a thing as a bike that works for you. 

Good luck! 

Edited by Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

The only thing more consistent than Myles giving advice on enduro threads, is your trolling of Myles.

Time to let it go, put a new record on the player, this one is stuck.

Are you honestly arrogant enough to think that I am going to do what you tell me to do? I dont know you and to be dead honest, you are irrelevant to me.

But..... You tried hard. And for that, I am giving you a like. Congratulations.

Jeepers, I think I'd have a crisis of choice at that level. So many good options available at the moment. If I could offer one suggestion, it'd be to test before you buy. Even though some bikes may have more or less the same measurements and suspension travel, they may be vastly different in terms of how they behave on the trail. 

Silverback Slider LT

Reign 29 / Trance 29

Tranny Patrol / Sentinel 

Ibis Ripmo AF

Scott Genius 

and on and on and on. 

Firstly, decide what sort of rider you are. Do you prefer searching for features, look for air everywhere and float over rock gardens, or do you just engage hulk smash and steamroll through the gnar, wanting to go in as straight a line as possible?

Once you've done that, read / watch the reviews of the bikes in your price bracket and desired travel range, and eliminate the ones that don't act the way you want the bike to act (poppy v ploughy) while shortlisting the rest. See if any of those are available locally and for a test, and see which one tickles your fancy. 

Good luck!

And you too Captain. One like coming up.

Peace

Silverback Slider LT

Reign 29 / Trance 29

Tranny Patrol / Sentinel 

Ibis Ripmo AF

Scott Genius 

and on and on and on. 

Once you've done that, read / watch the reviews of the bikes in your price bracket and desired travel range, and eliminate the ones that don't act the way you want the bike to act (poppy v ploughy) while shortlisting the rest. See if any of those are available locally and for a test, and see which one tickles your fancy. I know this phrase has been thrown around a lot, but today there really is no such thing as a bad bike. But there is such a thing as a bike that works for you. 

Good luck! 

Most important.

Also the Commencal Clash is another option. Like Myles said there are loads of options. The type of riding and riding style will decide whether you want a playful bike or a straight out bomb down the mountain type bike.

Get the Ibis Ripmo AF Frame ir the Commencal Meta AM. Wait for nice parts on bikehub and build a beast. There is a very nice Reign frame in the Classifieds

I’m very happy with my Giant Trance 650b with a 160mm Pike on the front. Giant has some 2017/2018 Trance Advanced framesets going at ridiculous prices, although think only size L available.

Nice problem to have.

I just spent about 40K on a bike and although It was insurance payout, I'm now wondering if I should have saved the cash.

But that's me. I'd say for shuttle days I'd probably not ever bother with Carbon, since you're not pedaling up which is where the expensive light/strong stuff comes in.

Another fan of Nukeproof Reactor(CRC will do them. The Ripmo is winning reviews left and right Commencal, but I've actually not ridden those bikes so it's based on reviews..

Go ride em.