Indoor trainer price GOUGING during / after lockdown...

NINER_boy

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Supply & Demand like Jewbacca stated.

I am quite upset, sold my Kickr Core on the Hub for R10k with a cassette in late of 2019. 

Now I miss it but the retail price is now at R18k.

I paid R13k for mine.

I used an "I'll sell the trainer" as a justification for getting a gravel bike frame last year with the missus - it was largely unused back then. I purposely forgot I made that promise, and my wife seemed to as well.... I am so happy I did not sell it now!

Using it now has reminded my wife of the promise I made last year though, and I now need to find something else to sell!

It’s not only the price of goods that’s going to go up but shipping as well.

just spoke to mate of mine yesterday who’s in courier business 

‘with SAA going to **** that direct shipping route that they alone had from USA is gone.

Everythiing from states must now come via Dubai or wherever.

Expect everything to go up at least 30% .

Everyone is fighting for survival as you can see current fantastic online deals from bike suppliers but whenever local stock is replaced from overseas expect to see huge price jumps 

I used an "I'll sell the trainer" as a justification for getting a gravel bike frame last year with the missus - it was largely unused back then. I purposely forgot I made that promise, and my wife seemed to as well.... I am so happy I did not sell it now!

Using it now has reminded my wife of the promise I made last year though, and I now need to find something else to sell!

I hear there's a good market for babies....   :ph34r:

But yeah, the dreariness of the IDT is still an important tool in the fight against boredom and insanity. 

Share the retailer

WTF for? There's no need to "name and shame". Forward cover on an imported item like this is logical. Demand / supply / exchange rate fluctuations / amendment of profit & loss due to decreased trade etc. 

It’s not only the price of goods that’s going to go up but shipping as well.

just spoke to mate of mine yesterday who’s in courier business 

‘with SAA going to **** that direct shipping route that they alone had from USA is gone.

Everythiing from states must now come via Dubai or wherever.

Expect everything to go up at least 30% .

Everyone is fighting for survival as you can see current fantastic online deals from bike suppliers but whenever local stock is replaced from overseas expect to see huge price jumps 

It's a great opportunity for another player in the market to take that slot...

Party freight costs are due to MFO spec change. Very Low Sulphur Fuel Oil has been trading at cracks higher than Diesel. Its still higher than Diesel. 

then with ports closed and demurrage costs higher than ever, imported goods are going to be pricey. Durban is already over loaded

I have been chatting to a bike shop owner throughout the lockdown - he buys his stock directly from the distributor of a certain indoor trainer brand.

Two weeks into lockdown the distributor quoted us RXXX the week before Easter weekend - the stock was 'sitting in Durban harbour' so all sorted and delivery would be able to be made post Lockdown.

Surprise surprise (forgive me being skeptical here) the distributor comes back and informs us that the prices have all gone up 20-25%. I am in Asset Management so I have no idea how these things work - in my mind when you place an order you pay upfront for that order of say 300 units, so the price of the goods can't jump 20-25% while the container is on the water. Since I imagine that VAT & duties are charged on the purchase price surely these duties haven't gone up over lockdown?

Maybe an experienced Hubber with some insight into Import/Export can shed some light?

WTF for? There's no need to "name and shame". Forward cover on an imported item like this is logical. Demand / supply / exchange rate fluctuations / amendment of profit & loss due to decreased trade etc. 

WTF is your problem...no mention of "name & shame" here!

Why not share the info should there be others not wanting to pay over 10k for IDT

WTF is your problem...no mention of "name & shame" here!

Why not share the info should there be others not wanting to pay over 10k for IDT

Sorry, it seems I got that completely wrong.

I presumed you were asking the OP so that we could name and shame the retailer for adjusting pricing based on exchange rate, availability and forward cover for future purchases. 

Some IDT's are more than 10k, some are more than 20k. 

Edited by Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

I have been chatting to a bike shop owner throughout the lockdown - he buys his stock directly from the distributor of a certain indoor trainer brand.

Two weeks into lockdown the distributor quoted us RXXX the week before Easter weekend - the stock was 'sitting in Durban harbour' so all sorted and delivery would be able to be made post Lockdown.

Surprise surprise (forgive me being skeptical here) the distributor comes back and informs us that the prices have all gone up 20-25%. I am in Asset Management so I have no idea how these things work - in my mind when you place an order you pay upfront for that order of say 300 units, so the price of the goods can't jump 20-25% while the container is on the water. Since I imagine that VAT & duties are charged on the purchase price surely these duties haven't gone up over lockdown?

Maybe an experienced Hubber with some insight into Import/Export can shed some light?

This for a new one, still old stock according to the retailer.

This is good deal, now.  A Kickr Snap 2 retails on CWC for R9,999. If able to, share the Retailer selling for R7,700.

Few weeks before lockdown Cyclelab ran a special for Kickr Snap 2 for R5,999 - how sorry I am I didn't buy one.

Rather conflicted with Winter coming up, but hopefully some relief around training will be announced soon.  Once lockdown is lifted, will the market be flooded with smart trainers (taking Winter and economic conditions into account)? 

I don't know if I should:

1. Wait for and snap up any Kickr Core (or Snap) for a decent price in the second hard market.  Decent being pre-lockdown, new price, less a R2/1k?

2. Attend Winter spinning classes - if allowed?

3. Be a man and just ride into the cold (and darkness)?