Indoor trainer price GOUGING during / after lockdown...

NINER_boy

And then the Kickr 4 at 25k incl cadence sensors and a high wattage rating at 25k suddenly doesn't sound too bad, does it?

https://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/wahoo-trainer-kickr-40

or then there's the Core at 18k, which is a level lower but you need a cadence sensor to get the full gamut of data

https://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/wahoo-kickr-core-trainer

And then tehre's the Kickr Snap, which also does those but it's a wheel off trainer. 

https://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/wahoo-trainer-kickr-snap-20

As a sidenote - I believe that with the a firmware update from end of last year the Kickr Core and Kickr both broadcast cadence - which further narrows the difference between the models.

No Brainer to go with the Core unless you have $$$ to spend!

Edited by Cookie88

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As a sidenote - I believe that with the a firmware update from end of last year the Kickr Core and Kickr both broadcast cadence - which further narrows the difference between the models.

No Brainer to go with the Core unless you have $$$ to spend!

Core will also require a cassette - just saying  :ph34r:

And cadence sensor. Doesn't have one of those in the box, but the 4.0 does. 

And cadence sensor. Doesn't have one of those in the box, but the 4.0 does. 

Core broadcasts cadence, speed and power.  All you need is a cassette.  I have a core!

Edit: 

MEASURES SPEED, DISTANCE, POWER, AND CADENCE Get these vital cycling metrics on your indoor ride on the KICKR CORE without connecting any extra sensors.

https://eu.wahoofitness.com/devices/bike-trainers/kickr-core-indoor-smart-trainer-single

Edited by shaper

Core broadcasts cadence, speed and power.  All you need is a cassette.  I have a core!

Edit: 

MEASURES SPEED, DISTANCE, POWER, AND CADENCE Get these vital cycling metrics on your indoor ride on the KICKR CORE without connecting any extra sensors.

https://eu.wahoofitness.com/devices/bike-trainers/kickr-core-indoor-smart-trainer-single

Great, the listing on CWC didn't show that

• Measures Speed, Distance and Power
  • Third Party App Compatibility
  • Third Party Power Meter Support
  • BONUS FEATURE! Free Trials from our favorite App partners

Product Specifications

Part Number: WFBKTR4

Dimensions (legs open): 20"L x 23"W x 19"H

Dimensions (legs closed): 9"L x 23"W x 21"H

Weight (unboxed): 40 lb

Rear Wheel Size: 24" RD / 24" MTB / 650c RD / 26" MTB / 700c RD / 650b MTB / 29" MTB

Hub Types: 130/135mm QR, 12x142, and 12x148 Thru Axle

Adapters: Included

Drivetrain: Cassette not included. Requires Purchase/Installation of New Cassette: 8/9/10/11 Speed SRAM/Shimano

KICKR CLIMB: Compatible Yes

RPM Cadence: Not Includedq

• Measures Speed, Distance and Power
  • Third Party App Compatibility
  • Third Party Power Meter Support
  • BONUS FEATURE! Free Trials from our favorite App partners

Product Specifications

Part Number: WFBKTR4

Dimensions (legs open): 20"L x 23"W x 19"H

Dimensions (legs closed): 9"L x 23"W x 21"H

Weight (unboxed): 40 lb

Rear Wheel Size: 24" RD / 24" MTB / 650c RD / 26" MTB / 700c RD / 650b MTB / 29" MTB

Hub Types: 130/135mm QR, 12x142, and 12x148 Thru Axle

Adapters: Included

Drivetrain: Cassette not included. Requires Purchase/Installation of New Cassette: 8/9/10/11 Speed SRAM/Shimano

KICKR CLIMB: Compatible Yes

RPM Cadence: Not Included

My core provides power and cadence. Oh other have already pointed that out. Sorry

And then the Kickr 4 at 25k incl cadence sensors and a high wattage rating at 25k suddenly doesn't sound too bad, does it?

https://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/wahoo-trainer-kickr-40

or then there's the Core at 18k, which is a level lower but you need a cadence sensor to get the full gamut of data

https://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/wahoo-kickr-core-trainer

And then tehre's the Kickr Snap, which also does those but it's a wheel off trainer.

https://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/wahoo-trainer-kickr-snap-20

Edited by Mamil

Once you have owned a Kickr you will know that even at R26k it is not a bad price for what you get. I certainly haven't found fault in mine.(Price a power meter alone for comparison)

I overheated and wrecked our little treadmill during lockdown. (apparently running it at it's max pace for more than an hour is not suggested)

Anyway go look at the equivalent industrial treadmill (R50k +) or wattbike (±R60k)

Even a top end non industrial treadmill is more expensive, with no smart technology, no power meters and fancy electronics etc.

Agreed. I think in comparison to a high end treadmill wattbike or even rower, a smart trainer seems a bit of a bargain. Plus you can fold it up and put it in a cupboard. Try doing that with a treadmill. If you're time pressed or not as hard as the okes who are prepared to ride in the pissing rain or howling wind they are amazing pieces of equipment.

Yes R20k+ is a lot of moolah to spend on a piece of exercise equipment but the easiest way to bring down the cost of ownership is to use it as often as you can. 

Okes must just hang tough for a few weeks. If they really want one they will be going for close to fokkol in the classifieds real soon.

I came to the conclusion that it woudnt be relevant to discuss what a fanbelt a few pulleys and a bunch of resistors would actually cost in comparison to their sell price and if its actually worth what they sell it for. 

But then you get into the emotion of how someone feels over their purchas and all who has spend a bunch of money will justify the purchase value over the benefit and those that measure the price vs value of a product would say building a R300 home made roller would provide the same benefit

Ultimately I wanted to know the manufacturing cost of a Kickr

;)

what is a kickr/direct drive trainer actually?

it's just a bike stand with a generator connected to a cassette?

the generator is essentially the smart bit, and is basically a cordless drill in reverse which actively adjusts resistance

the nerds will get busy on this one if the supply is short or expensive

https://hackaday.io/project/18658-postcycla

that is a 2nd hand unit.

My 2nd hand Kickr cost me R7k in total, I have done thousands of km on it since with 0 issues if you want to compare apples with apples...

how many chains have you replaced /tyres 

and other parts that wear a little extra from the trainer also need to be taken into account ( BB , chainrings cassette ...

those cycleops bikes are robust and use big ass cogs and chains that wear extremely slow 

how many chains have you replaced /tyres 

and other parts that wear a little extra from the trainer also need to be taken into account ( BB , chainrings cassette ...

those cycleops bikes are robust and use big ass cogs and chains that wear extremely slow 

It's a pretty sterile environment so parts wear really slowly.

A kickr folds up into the shoe cupboard or Harry Potter's bedroom really easily. 

I don't think we should start debating the merits of the kit. A Wahoo kickr is awesome. The fact that I know the bike is also set up for me is a bonus even if I swap steeds, I can ride the mtb, the roadie, the gravel bike the SS all at the drop of a hat...... 

Are there different options, yes. The Elite system that Gavin Brophy won the other day is also a fantastic piece of kit all in at R20k.

In the days before the apocalypse, for those of us with babies and wives with real jobs, the trainer was a godsend while waiting for the nanny to arrive before heading to work. 

I don't own on bike power metres or gps's or bike computers so it's also a really cool way for a pleb like me to do 2 well monitored, structured training sessions a week.

It's worth the investment. 

Also, you don't NEED an IDT to stay fit during lockdown. Yoga, pilates, freeletics, some pull ups and functional weight exercises will keep you burning calories and in shape. The bike conditioning and leg speed will come quickly once we are free. 

Again, the NEED for trainers is driving the price. 

It's a great opportunity for another player in the market to take that slot...

SAA had a codeshare with either United or Delta on this route.  They will gladly step in to fill the slot as they will have plenty spare planes for a while. It was also one of the most profitable routes.