Indoor trainer price GOUGING during / after lockdown...

NINER_boy

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not NEARLY the same thing, MTB-More.

No power meter. no cadence meter. No included software, ability to use with Zwift or any other e-training platform. 

No. This is a simple spinning bike, no more. This is comparable to a dumb trainer, and even this is 2nd hand. 

Hahaha. Before you comment go read what it is. It does have power. It does have Ant+ to connect to Zwift it does have Speed and Cad.

Cleary you are to misinformed to know the diffirence. Literally the 1st sentence on it

"The Cycleops Phantom 3 Indoor Cycle is 21st century indoor cardio built for cyclists by cyclists. They partnered up with PowerTap to engineer the most accurate power measurement technology then built it into a dedicated indoor set up.

We’re talking an industry leading power accuracy of +/- 1.5% here folks! Combined with the Joule GPS, this technology gives you all the performance data you’ve ever wanted."

And then the last sentence "The Phantom 3 is compatible with most ANT+ CycleOps or PowerTap products,"

Go to https://zwift.com/hardware

Under indoor trainer you can see Zwift support Phantom 3 under Ant+ 

Edited by MTB-More

And then the Kickr 4 at 25k incl cadence sensors and a high wattage rating at 25k suddenly doesn't sound too bad, does it?

https://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/wahoo-trainer-kickr-40

or then there's the Core at 18k, which is a level lower but you need a cadence sensor to get the full gamut of data

https://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/wahoo-kickr-core-trainer

And then tehre's the Kickr Snap, which also does those but it's a wheel off trainer. 

https://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/wahoo-trainer-kickr-snap-20

Edited by Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

Hahaha. Before you comment go read what it is. It does have power. It does have Ant+ to connect to Zwift it does have Speed and Cad.

Cleary you are to misinformed to know the diffirence. Literally the 1st sentence on it

"The Cycleops Phantom 3 Indoor Cycle is 21st century indoor cardio built for cyclists by cyclists. They partnered up with PowerTap to engineer the most accurate power measurement technology then built it into a dedicated indoor set up.

We’re talking an industry leading power accuracy of +/- 1.5% here folks! Combined with the Joule GPS, this technology gives you all the performance data you’ve ever wanted."

And then the last sentence "The Phantom 3 is compatible with most ANT+ CycleOps or PowerTap products,"

Yeah, I made a mistake. Thanks for highlighting the fact that I need more coffee.... It's still 2nd hand, though. 

Also - the bold bit is unnecessary. 

Yeah, I made a mistake. Thanks for highlighting the fact that I need more coffee.... It's still 2nd hand, though. 

Also - the bold bit is unnecessary. 

No you jump to coclusions without being informed. All is forgiven and yes it might be second hand but there is no wear on your current components as a bonus so that nice and shiny XX1 can stay that way thoughout winter

I think in essence what I was trying to relay is Wahoo is pricing themselves out of the market as alternatives are becoming more affordable when you look at their pricing and potentially positioning themselves as a elitist brand rather than a general consumer brand.

PS.

Yes its amazing when a Ferrari comes past you but ultimately its the Polo thats building the economy and getting ppl to work

Edited by MTB-More

No you jump to coclusions without being informed. All is forgiven and yes it might be second hand but there is no wear on your current components as a bonus so that nice and shiny XX1 can stay that way thoughout winter

I think in essence what I was trying to relay is Wahoo is pricing themselves out of the market as alternatives are becoming more affordable when you look at their pricing and potentially positioning themselves as a elitist brand rather than a general consumer brand.

I missed a paragraph, I owned it and I amended my posts. I went to the site, read, but didn't read properly. 

I jumpED to a conclusion because I didn't read properly. That doesn't mean I routinely jump to consclusions without adequate information. 

Again, the bold bit is unnecessary. 

As for the italicised text, no, they're not. Their goods are purchased in $. Pricing needs to take cost into consideration, otherwise they'd be on the way to losses. Exchange rate fluctuations are part of the import / export game - you don't always get to choose when you pay for things as an importer, and input costs are a critical component of the pricing construct. 

ELITE have done the same (as no calves points out) and other brands across all market segments will have to take the same steps, unless they were one of the lucky who were able to secure forward pricing. Even then, they may be affected in the next import cycle, due to the forward pricing 

To be fair, ELITE did the same with trainers also going 2-5k more when their 2nd shipment landed and the SARIS container is still in Durban port so we can have a look what their prices retail for when their new stock is uploaded.

I think of the lot, Wahoo is just first to land their trainers with the new price, i think the other brand will follow when theirs land.

I think the core issue here is there is always a hike in prices, but never a reduction even when all our stars align. the inflating of RRSP is also suspicious sales tactics that aggravates us.

Edited by no calves

Look, bemoaning this is like bemoaning property prices.

I bought property in Muizenberg 12 years ago that was worth 4x what I paid for it (before the apocalypse).

The market will swing, it always does. There is a time for buyers and a time for sellers and sometimes it's fair for both.

If you can't afford it now, wait. But don't attack the seller because he invested in the right thing at the right time.

I also bought Nando's shares in the 90s.... Investment and return are part of our capitalist way of life. Complaining about it comes across as naive.... I'm sorry if that's offensive, maybe I'm grumpty today.

then in fairness this price should be compared with other secondhand equipment ....

"TODAY" might not be a good day to start comparing prices - on ANY items ....

Those who have stock, can sell at RRP and still come in cheap.  The "next shipment" of ALL goods are going to suffer from the exchange rate and/or extra storage costs .....  going to be an expensive year to buy new .....  

I am busy with some engineering designs, and tender documents .... NO IDEA how to provide project estimates to the QS ...."last cost" + how much ?.... We are mid-project on a few sites, where my equipment only gets ordered during the second half of the project, this is going to have knock-on effects for ongoing projects (well, when they get going again) ...  Already drawing up emails to contractors to provide me with cost and availability for different brands of equipment.  The "cost" being important, BUT "availability" issues may well become more expensive to deal with if projects finish late ....  interesting times in our industry !!

Before I pay exorbitant prices on IDT, I'll 1st lean more towards getting myself new winter apparel in the event that president Ram-poza hopefully eases up on the lockdown restrictions.

I just wanna be out on the roads between 7am - 12 noon & 5pm - 8pm...just those windows of opportunity would be sufficient.

then in fairness this price should be compared with other secondhand equipment ....

"TODAY" might not be a good day to start comparing prices - on ANY items ....

Those who have stock, can sell at RRP and still come in cheap.  The "next shipment" of ALL goods are going to suffer from the exchange rate and/or extra storage costs .....  going to be an expensive year to buy new .....  

I am busy with some engineering designs, and tender documents .... NO IDEA how to provide project estimates to the QS ...."last cost" + how much ?.... We are mid-project on a few sites, where my equipment only gets ordered during the second half of the project, this is going to have knock-on effects for ongoing projects (well, when they get going again) ...  Already drawing up emails to contractors to provide me with cost and availability for different brands of equipment.  The "cost" being important, BUT "availability" issues may well become more expensive to deal with if projects finish late ....  interesting times in our industry !!

Yup. And you can't not use the prevailing exchange rate in those calculations. The actual cost may be lower, and you can pass that on if you're able to (or inclined to) 

I'll use my favourite answer to a question such as this, in which there are so many variations it's almost impossible to say with certainty.

It depends. 

:lol:

I came to the conclusion that it woudnt be relevant to discuss what a fanbelt a few pulleys and a bunch of resistors would actually cost in comparison to their sell price and if its actually worth what they sell it for. 

But then you get into the emotion of how someone feels over their purchas and all who has spend a bunch of money will justify the purchase value over the benefit and those that measure the price vs value of a product would say building a R300 home made roller would provide the same benefit

Ultimately I wanted to know the manufacturing cost of a Kickr

;)

Edited by MTB-More

I came to the conclusion that it woudnt be relevant to discuss what a fanbelt a few pulleys and a bunch of resistors would actually cost in comparison to their sell price and if its actually worth what they sell it for. 

But then you get into the emotion of how someone feels over their purchas and all who has spend a bunch of money will justify the purchase value over the benefit and those that measure the price vs value of aproduct would say building a R300 home made roller would provide the same benefit

Ultimately I wanted to know the manufacturing cast of a Kickr

;)

Well, we could do a teardown of the items and get the vendors' line costs for a 1,000 to 10,000 order multiple of each component, assume a certain amount of R&D (and the salaries & running costs apportioned to that amount of hours) and then testing, marketing and so on.

Or we could just say "yeah, meh, it's expensive but it's got a PM and that's worth 10k by itself at the very least... "

I'll go with the 2nd option, for now. 

Oh - if you want to see an interesting cost / price comparison (not an actual comparison, but detailing why something costs so much) have a look at the Koenigsegg Jesko vid from Mr JWW.  :eek: