SRAM Eagle Cracked Chain Plates

boesman88

which makes me think - they should rate chains by "maximum watts" - my occasional peak 5 second output I doubt would cause this much damage

Powaaar!!!

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Powaaar!!!

naah, Like the SRAM Level brakes its more a case if shoddy quality if you ask me. I miss my Shimano's. :(

Edited by boesman88

naah, Like the SRAM Level brakes its more like shoddy quality if you ask me. I miss my Shimano's. :(

I won't say that about the chain, I've seen and heard some stories about the new XX1 chain that defy everything I know about chains.

I think it's highly likely you had A dud from a bad batch, take it back to the shop you got it from a ND ask for a gold replacement

*not saying gold is better just that the gold chain should definitely be from a different batch

Have since the start of 12 speed put the GX12 Speed chain on my XO 11 speed system and never seen that after thousands of KM and multiple casettes and chains

Would love to see you fit a chain tool in there showing that its not past the 1.0 mark as this might just be a chain far over the limit with little to no context as to how it was riden.

My second theory here is that after a link breaks it makes a noise ... so you having 10 broken links never hearing anything points me in the direction you dont look after your stuff or do regular maintenance as you claim as a clean chain runs a lot better than one with 10 broken links and on any cleaning you would have picked up a crack imediately.

Your assertion that all 10 cracked at the same time while you broke the chain at the same time is improbabaly and 1 in 1 billion considering you didnt hear anything or see anything during impecable cleaning after every ride as you claim

A chain with a broken link will grind and click going though the deraleur and cassette and shifting performance would be horrible yet none of that happening is 50 red flags to me on your claim

Going to my previous statement how do you expect things to last if you never maintain them. That unfortunately comes down to negligence and not a faulty chain

my 2c

Edit - Not saying the plates cant crack but in your situation with the extent of it and your claim I am leaning towards negligence

Edited by MTB-More

Those pics clearly indicate tension failure, which will only occur if the max tensile strength of the chain is exceeded.

But - there is no way in a million years that a rider would be able to achieve that by pedaling, no matter how strong their legs are.

Tensile strengths on chains can vary from 1200 to 1500 kg depending on the design 

That kind for damage and the qty of links that failed is clearly a material problem.

Used X01 Eagle chains for many thousand km and never say this. But my sprint power is not much over 1000W ;)... If you are a heavy and strong person your sprint power could be very high even if your perceived performance during races is only midfield...

Btw, which chain is this? XX1, X01, GX, NX?

Have since the start of 12 speed put the GX12 Speed chain on my XO 11 speed system and never seen that after thousands of KM and multiple casettes and chains

Would love to see you fit a chain tool in there showing that its not past the 1.0 mark as this might just be a chain far over the limit with little to no context as to how it was riden.

My second theory here is that after a link breaks it makes a noise ... so you having 10 broken links never hearing anything points me in the direction you dont look after your stuff or do regular maintenance as a clean chain runs a lot better than one with 10 broken links.

Going to my previous statement how do you expect things to last if you never maintain them. That unfortunately comes down to negligence and not a faulty chain

my 2c

Thats quite an elaborate theory you've arrived at without any context - my theory is that you have not read my posts above thoroughly.  :devil:

Used X01 Eagle chains for many thousand km and never say this. But my sprint power is not much over 1000W ;)... If you are a heavy and strong person your sprint power could be very high even if your perceived performance during races is only midfield...

Btw, which chain is this? XX1, X01, GX, NX?

Its the GX.  

Agreed with this, likely a material defect with incorrect hardening or plating. 

Get a warranty claim for the defective part.

Thats quite an elaborate theory you've arrived at without any context - my theory is that you have not read my posts above thoroughly.  :devil:

Read it again. I edited with more context

Those saying bad material just think about it quick. SRAM makes hundres of thousands of chains selling them to everyone as a consumable as they wear quick and gets replaced often

If there were a defect of this magnitude there would be hundreds of claims of faulty chains as they dont switch material after every chain being made to a new batch of material.

Edited by MTB-More

Read it again. I edited with more context

Let me help you here with the facts:

1. I have 9 bikes on my premise - the oldest a 30+ year old Eddie Merckx Corsa Extra - between them I have many many thousands of KMs on, not one plate crack.

2. the bike in question has the very low mileage on (1500-2000) and I make a point of looking after it well.

3. it has never seen rain and hardly any mud. it sleeps inside in a spare bedroom.  and it travels inside my SUV when driving on gravel to get to a bike park

4. After every ride it gets washed properly including drivetrain.  Left to dry thoroughly then I lube using only Muc-Off dry lube.

5. Its two years old - last major service was late last year - which included a full suspension service and a chain measurement (which proved to be within spec). 

6. I've been hearing an occasional click sound coming from the drivetrain over the past few months and have been trying to troubleshoot the root cause without success. This was also investigated by the LBS who could not find the fault. So no, the cracks did not appear all at once, it happened over a period of time, and yes I did year noises but call me and the LBS stupid, we could not trace it to the chain plates. 

7. In fact the chain, other that ensuring it is well lubed, was the last place I would have expected catastrophic failure. We checked everything else - seat post collar, pedals, crank, front cog, rear casette, suspension bolts, spokes, rims, thru axles, brake calipers - everything. no trace of a problem.  What made it worse was I could not reproduce at will as clearly the chain had to be in the correct position when you engage power for the sound to occur.  Sometimes it happened, sometimes it didnt. was very frustrating. I guess if I inspected every link in the chain which I didnt do, we could have arrived at the root cause.  

I am perhaps not looking after it as well as you you look at your bikes MTB-More, but I try and keep it in top shape best I know how.  Pity I missed spotting the problem.

Fact is, its the first time it has happened to me over many years, many bicycles and many thousands of hours on the saddle.  Dont want to shift blame here but suspect a defective part on this one.

Been an issue for a while with the 12 speed chains.

There was talk about new jockey wheels that sorted it out.

The KMC12 chains last longer in my opinion or just replace the SRAM parts and buy XT[emoji3][emoji6]

Snip

Your 1st post like this would have been very helpfull.

I just checked 4 of my chains with 2000+ km on each between 0.75 and 1.0 stretch and not a single crack on them. Take it to your LBS but I doubt they will give you a new one under warranty due to the extensive cracking.