SRAM Eagle Cracked Chain Plates

boesman88

Put an XX1 chain on my bike not even 6 months ago, and 2 months of that there has been no riding even, but lets just say 6 months worth of 50km a week, so 1200km, and it is at .5 wear already, not impressed....

you must be the only person in the world to have such high wear from a XX1 chain.

What drivetrain is your bike fitted with?

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I mean 25%.

0.25 on chain checker tool = 25% of "allowable" stretch.

If you run a 12 speed chain you are going to absolutely trash your cassette and chainring. They recommend you replace 12 speed chains at between 0.50% and 0.75% stretch.

If you run a 12 speed chain you are going to absolutely trash your cassette and chainring. They recommend you replace 12 speed chains at between 0.50% and 0.75% stretch.

Well thats depends on the cassette. If its a >48T then 0.5% wear is the replacement point. You can run it to 0.75% but then you're in for a new cassette as well.

<48 and 0.75% should be ok.

But remember the longer you run the chain to maximum life the shorter the life of the cassette so I always replace well before the chain is worn.

You're missing what he's saying

No I'm not.

I'm not aware of any chain checkers that measure in "% of allowable stretch". On every chain checker I have ever seen, a measurement of 0.25 is 0.25% stretch and not "25% of allowable stretch" as he claimed. It would make no sense for it to measure "% of allowable stretch" since, as has been pointed out a few times, allowable stretch differs depending on drivetrain (e.g. 12x, 11x, max cog size etc.)

0.25% stretch is between 33% and 50% of "allowable" stretch.

Edited by Jehosefat

No I'm not.

I'm not aware of any chain checkers that measure in "% of allowable stretch". On every chain checker I have ever seen, a measurement of 0.25 is 0.25% stretch and not "25% of allowable stretch" as he claimed. It would make no sense for it to measure "% of allowable stretch" since, as has been pointed out a few times, allowable stretch differs depending on drivetrain (e.g. 12x, 11x, max cog size etc.)

....that depends on what allowance is making

Well thats depends on the cassette. If its a >48T then 0.5% wear is the replacement point. You can run it to 0.75% but then you're in for a new cassette as well.

<48 and 0.75% should be ok.

But remember the longer you run the chain to maximum life the shorter the life of the cassette so I always replace well before the chain is worn.

I go by the 1, 2, 4 rule (Some do 1,2,6)

1 Casette lasts 2 Chainrings and 4 chains. I swap the chains at 2000km marking them as 1,2,3,4 as they wear and on 4 go back to 1 to give it another 2000km life

That way you get around 16000km out of the Casette and 4 chains as they wear uniformly as you keep on swapping the chians.

Edited by MTB-More

No I'm not.

Okay

No, I mean 25%.

0.25 on chain checker tool = 25% of "allowable" stretch.

If you think 1% is " "allowable" stretch" on *any* chain, much less a 12 speed chain, good luck to you!

Read my post again.

Not what I said.

I tend to get 10,000km out of my Sram cassettes.

Chains don't stretch. They wear. And no, it's not the same thing. There's no such thing as "allowable stretch". So nobody knows what you actually really said. Including yourself.

I reckon you probably measure kms the way you measure chain wear. 

Chains don't stretch. They wear. And no, it's not the same thing. There's no such thing as "allowable stretch". So nobody knows what you actually really said. Including yourself.

I reckon you probably measure kms the way you measure chain wear.

Chains definitely do stretch, the also wear. Two seperate things. I know what I said, and I know how a chain checker works. I used the term "allowable" for lack of a better term, that's why it's in parentheses.

Lockdown seems to be getting to people. You're getting way too emotional over a comment made in a bike forum.