SRAM Eagle Cracked Chain Plates

boesman88

you must be the only person in the world to have such high wear from a XX1 chain.

What drivetrain is your bike fitted with?

Its a GX 11speed

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Chains definitely do stretch, the also wear. Two seperate things. I know what I said, and I know how a chain checker works. I used the term "allowable" for lack of a better term, that's why it's in parentheses.

Lockdown seems to be getting to people. You're getting way too emotional over a comment made in a bike forum.

If the 'Yellow Saddle' was still here I'd be preparing buckets of popcorn about now...

Its the GX.  

It must be material failure. I ride GX, I clean my chain maybe once a week, maybe. I have done 1400km on this chain, still within spec. 

If the 'Yellow Saddle' was still here I'd be preparing buckets of popcorn about now...

Ok, let me explain…. 

I am not disputing that a chain tool measures chain stretch as a percentage of overall chain length, and I am not disputing that it is 0,25%, 0.5%, and 0,75%.

Some context…. A while back I was going through GX Eagle chains very quickly, and some people on the hub were making big claims about the life span of XX1 chains. I decided to try that, and for curiosity’s sake I wanted to measure how the chain was stretching accurately. So here is what I did, which should explain my initial post a bit better.

I replace my chains at 0.75% - that is my “allowable” amount of stretch. To measure I take a vernier calliper, and measure the length from the inside of a roller to the inside of another roller with 10 links in between. For the sake of my explanation let’s say that measurement is 100mm on a new and unused chain. I then took a chain at 0,75% wear and took the same measurement, let’s say for this explanation that this measurement was 110mm, thus giving me an allowable stretch of 10mm. So, if the measurement reads 102,5mm that means I am at 25% of allowable stretch. When it gets to 110mm I am at 100% of allowable stretch, and it is time to replace. Again, I am just using these numbers to explain the concept.

As I used my new XX1 chain I take this measurement often, after a considerable amount of km, I am not even at 25% of allowable stretch.

Hopefully that clears it up?

On the stretch/wear thing. Chains can wear (degradation of the material) and stretch. Bicycle chains generally speaking stretch before the material degrades, and that’s why we measure stretch.

Okes really need to relax, this isn’t a foreign policy or religious rights debate. We’re talking about chains.

BUT... we make key-rings of the excess chain (when shortening it) and then hang them on keys ]

8c97b3b6348474ffb64a40efd28cd2fb.jpg

Off topic ...

How do you stop the links from rusting ?

PS . Nice key ring ????

Chains definitely do stretch, the also wear. Two seperate things. I know what I said, and I know how a chain checker works. I used the term "allowable" for lack of a better term, that's why it's in parentheses.

Lockdown seems to be getting to people. You're getting way too emotional over a comment made in a bike forum.

"Riders often speak of "chain stretch," a technically misleading and incorrect term. Chains do not stretch, in the dictionary sense, by elongating the metal by tension. Chains lengthen because their hinge pins and sleeves wear. Chain wear is caused almost exclusively by road grit that enters the chain when it is oiled. Grit adheres to the outside of chains in the ugly black stuff that can get on one's leg, but external grime has little functional effect, being on the outside where it does the chain no harm."

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/chain-care.html

"Riders often speak of "chain stretch," a technically misleading and incorrect term. Chains do not stretch, in the dictionary sense, by elongating the metal by tension. Chains lengthen because their hinge pins and sleeves wear. Chain wear is caused almost exclusively by road grit that enters the chain when it is oiled. Grit adheres to the outside of chains in the ugly black stuff that can get on one's leg, but external grime has little functional effect, being on the outside where it does the chain no harm."

Chains lengthen because xyz....

So they stretch. FFS, now you are just nitpicking.

Ok, let me explain…. 

I am not disputing that a chain tool measures chain stretch as a percentage of overall chain length, and I am not disputing that it is 0,25%, 0.5%, and 0,75%.

Some context…. A while back I was going through GX Eagle chains very quickly, and some people on the hub were making big claims about the life span of XX1 chains. I decided to try that, and for curiosity’s sake I wanted to measure how the chain was stretching accurately. So here is what I did, which should explain my initial post a bit better.

I replace my chains at 0.75% - that is my “allowable” amount of stretch. To measure I take a vernier calliper, and measure the length from the inside of a roller to the inside of another roller with 10 links in between. For the sake of my explanation let’s say that measurement is 100mm on a new and unused chain. I then took a chain at 0,75% wear and took the same measurement, let’s say for this explanation that this measurement was 110mm, thus giving me an allowable stretch of 10mm. So, if the measurement reads 102,5mm that means I am at 25% of allowable stretch. When it gets to 110mm I am at 100% of allowable stretch, and it is time to replace. Again, I am just using these numbers to explain the concept.

As I used my new XX1 chain I take this measurement often, after a considerable amount of km, I am not even at 25% of allowable stretch.

On the stretch/wear thing. Chains can wear (degradation of the material) and stretch. Bicycle chains generally speaking stretch before the material degrades, and that’s why we measure stretch.

Okes really need to relax, this isn’t a foreign policy or religious rights debate. We’re talking about chains.

It's a sad indictment that you even needed to type this out, Rig. 

The chain's wear results in it stretching its overall length. Therefore, a worn chain can be said to have been stretched, and vice versa.

They are both acceptable adjectives to describe a change in the chain's length and life cycle. 

Edited by Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

Every hung a new chain next to an old chain, to quickly check the number of links for a quick replacement .....

If the old chain did not "stretch" ... well then they sure as heck made the new chair shorter ....

I even heard an urban rumour that a new chain fits perfectly around a large chain ring .... while an "old' (heaven forbid I use the therm "stretched") chain actually is too long around the long curve, and is loose after the first few teeth .....

looking at the OP's photos .... "stretching" seems to be the wrong word to use .... rather seems like snap, crackle and pop...

Ok, let me explain…. 

People seem to be confusing a reading from a tool with an individuals personal Specification for Wear.

A 0.5% reading on a chain checker is a measurement. Its not a specification.

"I replace my chain at 25% allowable stretch" is a specification (although not ratified by a standards setting body as far as I know - I've checked the BS, EN and ASME)

Trying to get snarky with GM around his specification seems a little juvenile or maybe a bit cabinfeverish. More appropriate to ask what do you mean by jada jada blah blah blah or 

how did you arrive at jada jada jdad blah blah blah.

Depending on how the Specification is formulated the degree of wear can be expressed in different ways including change in mass, change in length, or even change in frequency ( higher grade chain wear measurement)