Winter Jacket

jesica

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In addition to all this advice on jackets, my advice would also be to focus on hands, toes and neck.

Those little half toes warmers that cover just the front half of your shoe, a reasonable pair of winter gloves, hiking socks and a buff around the neck, works wonders.

I see anatomic are having a sale (wear direct.co.za) so you can pick up a winter jersey and a pac-shell for little money. 

I would also propose the BTWIN range from decathlon. I picked up a winter jersey and wind jacket for ~R700 and rode with it this weekend (at 6oC) and everything was perfect. I have previously had a btwin jacket and they are good quality (for what you are paying for)

https://www.decathlon.co.za/p/8382094_men-s-road-cycling-long-sleeved-jersey-essential-black.html

https://www.decathlon.co.za/p/8517063_road-cycling-ultra-light-long-sleeved-windproof-jacket-yellow.html

Dont you find these wind jackets are like sauna jackets? I am soaking wet when I ride with these on and the risk is when i take them off at a coffee shop, the cool down is rapid and uncomfortable, making one susceptibility to picking up a bug or two.

Dont you find these wind jackets are like sauna jackets? I am soaking wet when I ride with these on and the risk is when i take them off at a coffee shop, the cool down is rapid and uncomfortable, making one susceptibility to picking up a bug or two.

Spot on.

Hence I prefer a proper breathable jacket and only use the shells for wet rides. You also get soaked from your own sweat. Definitely a recipe for picking up bugs

Spot on.

Hence I prefer a proper breathable jacket and only use the shells for wet rides. You also get soaked from your own sweat. Definitely a recipe for picking up bugs

Im actually refereing to my own sweat[emoji16] The heat build up is suana like driven. I think the short sleeve shell is a better option. This over your breathable jacket.

I have 2 x winter jackets from Bicycle Line for some time now. 

Italian import, local agent (small business owner)

Google is your friend

One rated for about 6/15 deg, other one-6/12.

Bought another 2 yesterday (-3/12 rating) in nice high vz colours.

All of them are top notch.  Not the cheapest, but certainly not the most expensive.

A good balance between breath ability and keeping the wind&cold out

Edited by Underachiever

I have 2 x winter jackets from Bicycle Line for some time now. Italian import

One rated for about 6/15 deg, other one-6/12 Great quality.

Bought another 2 yesterday -3/12 rating. Nice high vz colours.

All of them are top notch. Not the cheapest, but certainly not the most expensive.

You more like an overachiever with all these jackets....is that one for every other day?

You more like an overachiever with all these jackets....is that one for every other day?

You must see my shoe and sock collection.... :whistling:  :whistling:  :whistling:  :whistling:

Seriously.  These things are getting more expensive every year, and I was trying to help out a small business owner, that is also a friend.

Also with the lockdown, I need more than 2 jackets.  To get them in high viz colours was a bargain  

Edited by Underachiever

Anyone got any feedback on Ciovita's?

https://ciovita.co.za/collections/mens-cycling-jackets/products/mens-vindex-cycling-jacket-gilet-lumo

Or the First Ascent one?

https://www.firstascent.co.za/men-s-magneeto-cycling-jacket

I like the idea that they can convert to a gilet...

I got the Magneeto, it's a great concept, visible at night, light and fits well. It has a largish zip pocket in the back and a small one for your phone on the left breast, The sleeves can come off as a single unit (two sleeves connected by back panel which attaches to the "gilet" section by zips under the arms and magnets around the back neck area), easily removed while on the go but you'll need to stop to re-attach them, zips are a bit fiddly. It's thin, breathable and I haven't tested the waterproofness yet but I reckon it will ward off a light rain. You need to layer up underneath, it has no lining.

The only criticism I have is that "gilet" section has a mesh panel under the sleeve back panel and cold air lifts up the sleeve panel around the neck/shoulder area and air gets into the back area through the mesh panel....no biggie if you got base layers.

Oh and the fact that I had the sleeve section off and not so well tucked into the back pocket and it came out and got munched by my rear mech! Can't claim any design fault for that!

But for the money, a great buy, and made locally! I'm ordering another one!

I got the Magneeto, it's a great concept, visible at night, light and fits well. It has a largish zip pocket in the back and a small one for your phone on the left breast, The sleeves can come off as a single unit (two sleeves connected by back panel which attaches to the "gilet" section by zips under the arms and magnets around the back neck area), easily removed while on the go but you'll need to stop to re-attach them, zips are a bit fiddly. It's thin, breathable and I haven't tested the waterproofness yet but I reckon it will ward off a light rain. You need to layer up underneath, it has no lining.

The only criticism I have is that "gilet" section has a mesh panel under the sleeve back panel and cold air lifts up the sleeve panel around the neck/shoulder area and air gets into the back area through the mesh panel....no biggie if you got base layers.

Oh and the fact that I had the sleeve section off and not so well tucked into the back pocket and it came out and got munched by my rear mech! Can't claim any design fault for that!

But for the money, a great buy, and made locally! I'm ordering another one!

Thanks for feedback... glad it was positive, cos I order one this afternoon! [emoji1] First Ascent have 25% off, so its under R1000 delivered...

Thanks for feedback... glad it was positive, cos I order one this afternoon! [emoji1] First Ascent have 25% off, so its under R1000 delivered...

Seriously good price for that jacket. Just ordered one!

Still using my Anatomic cheap yellow nylon jacket..must be about 8 years now...Only mod I made was to have a strip of reflective tape stitched down the centre of the back...Also have a cheap gillet jacket type from Anatomic as well...no issues with their products....good pricing and if you look after stuff you will get good mileage out of them...(I still wear a beanie I bought from PEP 20 years ago!). 

Also ordered one using the discount code!