Are cyclist just too superior to keep their masks/buffs on

Stefalbertyn

This sums up the entire thread...

It’s not just cyclists

Very few people are wearing masks in planet Zug, which to date has had 9 deaths and 202 reported cases for a population of +/- 128’000

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there is a bit of exaggeration to make a point here.  I cycle most mornings in Cape Town between Mowbray and Constantia.  Initially there was definitely resistance to masks, but now by far the majority of people in this area (cyclists, runners, walkers) are wearing masks.  I would say 99% of people at least have a mask around their neck, and pull it on when approaching others.  Granted it could be different elsewhere.

I think there is a bit of exaggeration to make a point here.  I cycle most mornings in Cape Town between Mowbray and Constantia.  Initially there was definitely resistance to masks, but now by far the majority of people in this area (cyclists, runners, walkers) are wearing masks.  I would say 99% of people at least have a mask around their neck, and pull it on when approaching others.  Granted it could be different elsewhere.

Probably 50% using their mask in Bellville and Brackenfell - runners, walkers and cyclists.  With another 20% pulling up their masks when approaching others.

About as good as it gets on this side.

I did not see a single person pull up their masks - no one that passed me within a meter did so either - most cyclist/runners/walkers had masks around their necks - I saw runners put them on as I approach - but no cyclists did - as in none - at all. Anyone doing the atlantic road from sea point to hout bay will attest to that.There were several bunches of cyclist riding abreast and chatting - all with the masks around their necks - which helps nothing

*asking for a friend*

Why cycle in packs where not a single person has a masked on? This morning a group of 4 guys passed me near Camps Bay - none with any form of covering their nose/mouth and the leader coughing his lungs out over everyone- me included.

Is it too much to ask? I counted mask wearers after this incicdent - less than 4% had their faces covered. It sort of makes it hard for those of us in the "danger" age group (50->) to be out cycling - just because of the majority of cycling community beig utterly selfish.

And if you think you cannot get it or that you are so much better than anyone else - good luck - no one knows! I lost 2 friends in as many weeks - the one just older than 40 with no co-morbidities.

But even if you are a super human - why would you willingly want to put others at risk?

Stef sadly no use arguing the point ...  By now everybody has made up their mind about what they want to believe.  

BUT, it was most interesting to see the DRASTIC change in thought process in two different cases ... in each a friend's family member was admitted to hospital with Covid. 

With cases doubling every 9 days in the Western Cape we are about to see some people change their perceptions over the next 6 weeks.

PS - Let me state once again.  I am PRO opening the economy.  As I am for responsible behaviour from fellow South Africans.

Probably 50% using their mask in Bellville and Brackenfell - runners, walkers and cyclists.  With another 20% pulling up their masks when approaching others.

About as good as it gets on this side.

That's pretty good imo

I have yet to see a fitness cyclist, runner, jogger wearing a mask

Some pedestrians and commuting cyclists yes, but definitely in the minority 

I am totally with you Chris!

I was very much against all the panic farming around virus, but exactly two weeks ago a close friend died after battling this thing for a week in ICU and last week a second - much younger friend followed - changes the perspective somewhat and made me resolute to do my best to not pick this thing up now. I think keeping with a few simple rules like the masks/washing hands/cleaning surfaces and screening temps (at work) is the minimum we can do. I am an essential business and we set up most employees at home - but about 18 of them has to come in and I feel very safe with all that because EVERYONE is being as safe as possible. Obviously we will all get the bug over the coming years - but now (or the next few months) is not a good time. The economy HAS to open up - this gov cannot look after people inany case.

Sorry about all the typos - my spectacles are hiding somewhere :)

Stef sadly no use arguing the point ...  By now everybody has made up their mind about what they want to believe.  

BUT, it was most interesting to see the DRASTIC change in thought process in two different cases ... in each a friend's family member was admitted to hospital with Covid. 

With cases doubling every 9 days in the Western Cape we are about to see some people change their perceptions over the next 6 weeks.

PS - Let me state once again.  I am PRO opening the economy.  As I am for responsible behaviour from fellow South Africans.

*asking for a friend*

Why cycle in packs where not a single person has a masked on? This morning a group of 4 guys passed me near Camps Bay - none with any form of covering their nose/mouth and the leader coughing his lungs out over everyone- me included.

Is it too much to ask? I counted mask wearers after this incicdent - less than 4% had their faces covered. It sort of makes it hard for those of us in the "danger" age group (50->) to be out cycling - just because of the majority of cycling community beig utterly selfish.

And if you think you cannot get it or that you are so much better than anyone else - good luck - no one knows! I lost 2 friends in as many weeks - the one just older than 40 with no co-morbidities.

But even if you are a super human - why would you willingly want to put others at risk?

When I'm out riding in the open with no one in sight on a hopefully sunny day this coming week I will not be wearing a mask... I will keep one in my pocket though for an "emergency"; let's say the police pull up and i need to act all apologetic. Otherwise i couldn't give less of a **** about wearing one. Our government took orders from the WHO right? Well even they are saying there is no point in wearing a mask now so why should we if they were the authority on the matter? It's time we build up our immune systems, get some fresh air (not your own C02) and stop acting like a bunch of pu55ys.

And in the meantime you can pass on the gift to other people because you are not a pu55y. Well done on being so brave.

Forget about the government (and the some of the stupid covid rules) and the WHO - there is more than enough evidence to suggest it is a good idea for everone to cover their faces in public. You do not have to give a**** at all for other people because the age of civility is gone. 

When I'm out riding in the open with no one in sight on a hopefully sunny day this coming week I will not be wearing a mask... I will keep one in my pocket though for an "emergency"; let's say the police pull up and i need to act all apologetic. Otherwise i couldn't give less of a **** about wearing one. Our government took orders from the WHO right? Well even they are saying there is no point in wearing a mask now so why should we if they were the authority on the matter? It's time we build up our immune systems, get some fresh air (not your own C02) and stop acting like a bunch of pu55ys.

Yet another COVIDIOT

post-67625-0-21214200-1590940742_thumb.jpeg

When I ride, run, walk I wear a mask. When there is nobody around I take it down, when I approach people or people approach me I pull it up. Why? Because that’s the law and I was was raised to respect the law regardless of if I believe it to be convenient or not. 

I live and train in Equestria, Pretoria East. It’s been a dog show since the level 4 started, there so many people in groups training you could easily mistake it for a batch start at an event! 

these posts come up daily on Facebook and on here and has been discussed to death under another thread.

end of the day if people are not going to listen to the law then there is no way they going to listen to some stranger b!Tching on Facebook or on some cycling forum. 

Not trying to be a d!ck to the OP,  believe me, we all see what’s going on, it doesn’t need to be pointed out to us every day. 

Do what you know is right. 

And in the meantime you can pass on the gift to other people because you are not a pu55y. Well done on being so brave.

Forget about the government (and the some of the stupid covid rules) and the WHO - there is more than enough evidence to suggest it is a good idea for everone to cover their faces in public. You do not have to give a**** at all for other people because the age of civility is gone. 

How am I going to give someone the virus if I am riding by myself? Maybe if I'm cycling past someone and I spit on their face, then yes I could POTENTIALLY give them the virus. But I'm not going to do that am I? To be honest I didn't even do that before corona was a thing!

How am I going to give someone the virus if I am riding by myself? Maybe if I'm cycling past someone and I spit on their face, then yes I could POTENTIALLY give them the virus. But I'm not going to do that am I? To be honest I didn't even do that before corona was a thing!

you sound remarkably like those AIDS denialists....

or an anti vaxxer

you sound remarkably like those AIDS denialists....

or an anti vaxxer

AIDS denialists?? I didn't even know that was a thing haha

Yet another COVIDIOT

Oh please stop with your drama and fear mongering . To late for that chom. It’s been 3 months of covid and the sun still comes up in the morning. The game is up . People are done with chicken little attitudes . If you really are so scared Of Mr Covid then by all means lock yourself up for as long as you want . But please just leave the rest of us alone to live our lives how we see fit. Ok ! No more control on what i must wear when I can move what i can eat .Etc etc Enough !!!