Are cyclist just too superior to keep their masks/buffs on

Stefalbertyn

Oh please stop with your drama and fear mongering . To late for that chom. It’s been 3 months of covid and the sun still comes up in the morning. The game is up . People are done with chicken little attitudes . If you really are so scared Of Mr Covid then by all means lock yourself up for as long as you want . But please just leave the rest of us alone to live our lives how we see fit. Ok ! No more control on what i must wear when I can move what i can eat .Etc etc Enough !!!

Should have, could have, would have comes to mind regards your mentality.

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

*asking for a friend*

Why cycle in packs where not a single person has a masked on? This morning a group of 4 guys passed me near Camps Bay - none with any form of covering their nose/mouth and the leader coughing his lungs out over everyone- me included.

Is it too much to ask? I counted mask wearers after this incicdent - less than 4% had their faces covered. It sort of makes it hard for those of us in the "danger" age group (50->) to be out cycling - just because of the majority of cycling community beig utterly selfish.

And if you think you cannot get it or that you are so much better than anyone else - good luck - no one knows! I lost 2 friends in as many weeks - the one just older than 40 with no co-morbidities.

But even if you are a super human - why would you willingly want to put others at risk?

I didn't read the entire thread, just replying to your initial post:

Condolences on those two friends, that sucks.

Non mask wearing, ja it's the whole lot here by us. Runners, walkers, Cyclists, all of them.

Yes I think people are gatvol of everything. Serious mask wearing will probably only take root once we start seeing deaths "close to home", whatever that means for each individual.

In the meantime, I try to go out when it is quiter(6AM, for my own risk reduction), and wear my mask for the sake of others.

Serious mask wearing will probably only take root once we start seeing deaths "close to home", whatever that means for each individual.

Agreed, however what is the % of people that will see the deaths close to home? Currently the death rate is at 2% of those infected and and less than 0.002% of the total populace.

You have a far greater chance of knowing someone that was killed in a motor vehicle accident, for that matter even knowing someone that died of pneumonia than someone that died of covid. 

The biggest issue are all the Karens and the media blowing it out of proportion. This is of course with the help of the politicians that don't want to be seen to have done nothing when this new "scary" things manifested itself. Even tough it is not really an issue compared to the other deaths happening. It is just that this is new and we have all been made aware of it.

Agreed, however what is the % of people that will see the deaths close to home? Currently the death rate is at 2% of those infected and and less than 0.002% of the total populace.

You have a far greater chance of knowing someone that was killed in a motor vehicle accident, for that matter even knowing someone that died of pneumonia than someone that died of covid. 

The biggest issue are all the Karens and the media blowing it out of proportion. This is of course with the help of the politicians that don't want to be seen to have done nothing when this new "scary" things manifested itself. Even tough it is not really an issue compared to the other deaths happening. It is just that this is new and we have all been made aware of it.

Some people will no doubt have a higher likelyhood of knowing someone who gets infected.

If you work in the healthcare sector in the Western Cape, or you have friends or families that do. Chances are way better that you will know someone that got severely ill from this than if you are a farmer in Mpumalanga.

What I am trying to say is that Asian countries have had years to develop a good mask wearing culture, for the benefit of the vulnerable in society.

We are only about 2months into our journey with masks, so might take a whole while for our society to wear it more consistently. For some, that switch will only come if a colleague or family member gets seriously ill.

For now yes... In New York city 1 in 500 people died in about 5 weeks, so in a few months we'll see if the Karens were just being silly.  

Might be a bad choice of words at this time but no, not superior ... just I can't breathe.

With my glasses fogging up and sucking in mask, when there's not many people around and I pass them with a wide berth my mask is down. If it's very congested especially with kids and old people I pull it up for that stretch.

Selfish? sure. Malicious? Not intentionally

Edited by Uni

Your ignorance (yup, I've noticed) continues to be astounding. Have you seen this?

https://public.flourish.studio/visualisation/2562261/?fbclid=IwAR25Zx8QMhpiAA0frMw4zdEUHydTVbsAd043sCfaAYK4pW8BIZxqL6lQNcw

To the non-mask-wearing riders who continue to pull up *right* next to me (when I'm riding on my own) at traffic lights: #*$% you.

(Edit done to place emphasis on the bar chart race instead of the #*$% you).

Edited by LazyEnduroRider

Knobs will be knobs. Its just that its now so easily visible because its directly on display in front of you.

'How you do anything is how you do everything.'

Might be a bad choice of words at this time but no, not superior ... just I can't breathe.

With my glasses fogging up and sucking in mask, when there's not many people around and I pass them with a wide berth my mask is down. If it's very congested especially with kids and old people I pull it up for that stretch.

Selfish? sure. Malicious? Not intentionally

Im sure you have already done this but I find just moving the glasses a bit more forward down the nose helps a bit with the fogging up. 

To the non-mask-wearing riders who continue to pull up *right* next to me (when I'm riding on my own) at traffic lights: #*$% you.

(Edit done to place emphasis on the bar chart race instead of the #*$% you).

Yup. Them and the &*^%ing wankers that ride three and four abreast taking up the entire road and forcing me onto the pavement. 

(it's even worse when the bastards are on MTB's and I'm on a road bike. &^%$y, *&^%ing entitled $#%^s.)

Yup. Them and the &*^%ing wankers that ride three and four abreast taking up the entire road and forcing me onto the pavement. 

(it's even worse when the bastards are on MTB's and I'm on a road bike. &^%$y, *&^%ing entitled $#%^s.)

What you don't like is when the MTB'ers pass you on the road..... :ph34r:

The funny thing with face masks, is you wear it to protect other people, even more so than to protect yourself... 

It's a strange thing to much of society, doing something for the sake of other people. We are selfish by nature sadly... me, you, most people. It's an unfortunate, one could almost say, 'norm' these days. Maybe we are being taught a lesson. We really all are in this together... it's not just a cool slogan. What other people do, can really have an impact on our lives.

When we made our face mask, outside of stopping people spreading droplets, our key focus was that the mask would be 'useable' in peoples day to day lives. If you can't breath in a mask, you won't wear it. If it doesn't fit you well, it's not doing it's job. If it's uncomfortable, you'll fiddle with it and touch it, and take it off often... all things you shouldn't do to make it effective in protecting you and others.

Lastly the biggest challenge is a lot of people show no symptoms... so you think you are fine, you act like you are fine, but at the end of the day you've been spreading it all over the place. There are loads of examples all over the world of super spreaders. One infected person at a hospital in KZN ended up infecting 120 odd people. One South Korean infected thousands on his own... 

Face Masks are the safety belts of Covid life, you might not need it, but it might well save your, or someone you know or loves life. I don't care what mask you wear... just wear one when you are around people, is it really that much to ask? If it slows you down a bit, enjoy the view a bit more than your strava stats.

With all the challenges facing society today, this is one small thing we can all do to try make this whole process as quick and as painless as possible.

If you get to the end of this all, and your big inconvenience was not having booze for a month and having to wear a 'damn mask' in public, you'll be one of the very lucky ones.

"Cant we all just get along??"

Unquote.