Are cyclist just too superior to keep their masks/buffs on

Stefalbertyn

I am also over the fear mongering and want to be out there cycling - but - NO- you can help curb transmissions by covering you mouth and nose - and everyone around you is not in the safe zone - it is not a big ask or is it?

I do not want to get this damn thing now because it will ruin my business and more than 30 people's food on the table - plus I am in the age group that gets hit the most. BUT I have had enough about sitting at home running down my immune system - so would like to cucle - but it seems it is impossible for people to do the safer thing? Like you say everyone gives a toss because they are fit and healthy - good luck then...

Hi Stef, I don't wear a mask while cycling. Across the world, it's pretty much the case that runners and cyclists (I am not talking about commuters here) do not wear masks. You will see a number of articles on the subject. But I accept that in a sense, that is beside the point. To be honest, I don't wear a mask because I simply cannot get enough air through one; it feels like I am drowning trying to cycle with a mask on. After a time, the mask gets wet on the inside (when I ride, I usually ride hard) and then it's like being waterboarded. If I am forced to wear a mask, I would rather not cycle. If you look at the World Health Organisation guidelines on the wearing of masks, they are not recommended unless the person in question is coughing, sneezing or similar. And if I am unwell in any degree, you can be certain I am not out on my bicycle. This may or may not be true of others though. I know none of this really solves your problem but I hope it at least answers the question. The reason I don't wear a mask is not because I don't give a toss at all but simply because I can't cycle with one on. I just find it completely impossible. Your experience may be different.

Edited by snutkin@gmail.com

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 compelling reasons to cover your eyes, nose and mouth:

1/ You create the perception that you have an above average VO2 Max

2/ It’s an Ubuntu move (I care for others as I care for myself)

3/ You can maintain a poker face and hide your pain better

????

Do you ladies want some cheese with your whine? Yissis.

Rubicon perhaps? Damn that reminds me...

3 compelling reasons to cover your eyes, nose and mouth:

1/ You create the perception that you have an above average VO2 Max

2/ It’s an Ubuntu move (I care for others as I care for myself)

3/ You can maintain a poker face and hide your pain better

NOT wearing one, especially on purpose, is the equivalent of giving other people who follow the rules the middle finger. Human as a species do not like people putting themselves ahead of the tribe. So expect a negative reaction, even if you have justified it in your own mind.

Do you ladies want some cheese with your whine? Yissis.

Its become evident from the hub recently that the biggest whingers are in fact middle aged men.

Checking in here every now and then is good for me for 2 reasons

1: It reminds me why I don't do it more often

2: It reminds me of how prevalent the cavalier and moronic attitude of a substantial minority of people with whom public space is shared.

Ever seen someone being intubated? 

Also - it's not so that we will all get this illness eventually. Once peak infection has passed this will be present in the ecology as another one of the innumerable threats we all face daily from crossing the road, eating a bad prawn or falling off your bike on or onto a cobra.

Until then though it is a significant danger that we must all adopt every risk mitigation strategy we can.

A thought - the bravado present in many of the utterly idiotic views expressed here is only necessary if you are really afraid. Far more intelligent to accurately appraise risk and act accordingly.

Oh - and if you break social distancing around me and/or don't have a mask on you're going to need more than bravado.

Instead of considering how much a mask may, or may not, reduce aerosol dispersion, how about considering how much is still emitted (particularly when exercising) and how many inoculum doses that may be?

Checking in here every now and then is good for me for 2 reasons

1: It reminds me why I don't do it more often

2: It reminds me of how prevalent the cavalier and moronic attitude of a substantial minority of people with whom public space is shared.

Ever seen someone being intubated? 

Also - it's not so that we will all get this illness eventually. Once peak infection has passed this will be present in the ecology as another one of the innumerable threats we all face daily from crossing the road, eating a bad prawn or falling off your bike on or onto a cobra.

Until then though it is a significant danger that we must all adopt every risk mitigation strategy we can.

A thought - the bravado present in many of the utterly idiotic views expressed here is only necessary if you are really afraid. Far more intelligent to accurately appraise risk and act accordingly.

Oh - and if you break social distancing around me and/or don't have a mask on you're going to need more than bravado.

Hmm - I have been intubated and on a ventilator so it's something i wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. It saved my life no doubt but it has permanently psychologically scarred me in terms of being able to breathe and being very sensitive to anything that cuts off or limits my intake of breath. This is like my worst nightmare all in one. Cycling and being fit made me recover a lot quicker so its part of my "rights" let say and therefore a very deep seated impulse to avoid anything that constricts my breathing is my reaction to a mask.

Its taking a lot of gumption to work on making myself comfortable with a mask. But i agree that this thing is not going to change so the quicker i learn to overpower my irrational impulses and beliefs the better i am.

And for the people saying its not going to last - it took 15 years to find a polio vaccine - do some reading. It stalked the playgrounds and schools of the world striking fear and dread in to everyone who was smitten. I get medical science is a lot better than what it was and that we are working on multiple vaccine candidates but we still need to take ownership ourselves and work on making every one else secure.

NOT wearing one, especially on purpose, is the equivalent of giving other people who follow the rules the middle finger. Human as a species do not like people putting themselves ahead of the tribe. So expect a negative reaction, even if you have justified it in your own mind.

We see that everyday with cars that speed on the high way, park on pavements, dont pick up dog poop when they walk their dogs.  

Humans follow the rules that they deem important enough to follow. 

Hmm - I have been intubated and on a ventilator so it's something i wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. It saved my life no doubt but it has permanently psychologically scarred me in terms of being able to breathe and being very sensitive to anything that cuts off or limits my intake of breath. This is like my worst nightmare all in one. Cycling and being fit made me recover a lot quicker so its part of my "rights" let say and therefore a very deep seated impulse to avoid anything that constricts my breathing is my reaction to a mask.

Its taking a lot of gumption to work on making myself comfortable with a mask. But i agree that this thing is not going to change so the quicker i learn to overpower my irrational impulses and beliefs the better i am.

And for the people saying its not going to last - it took 15 years to find a polio vaccine - do some reading. It stalked the playgrounds and schools of the world striking fear and dread in to everyone who was smitten. I get medical science is a lot better than what it was and that we are working on multiple vaccine candidates but we still need to take ownership ourselves and work on making every one else secure.

Good luck with your journey Paul.

Give the Anatomic masks a try, they worked way better than a buff for me.

We see that everyday with cars that speed on the high way, park on pavements, dont pick up dog poop when they walk their dogs.

Humans follow the rules that they deem important enough to follow.

Some humans only follows the rules that they deem important.

Most humans follow the rules that society deems important.

That’s how functioning societies work.

Can’t imagine the feeling. Good on your for working though it! ????????

Post of the day.

Thank you @Paul Ruinaard.

Courage to you.

I wear my mask whilst riding and I hate it but I’m trying to do the right thing

99 percent of my rides go through my local township - by SA’s standards a model RDP project where many of my daughters classmates live. There is no social distancing happening and almost no one is wearing a mask.

And I’m telling my daughter to wear a mask to protect others

It’s a farce, I wear my mask but it’s a farce

I'm so over this mask thing. The lockdowns hidden agenda was finally revealed when Cyril said that the lockdown is a great economical opportunity to get rid of colonialist business owners. ???? We all know he means white people.