New road bike advice for a MTB'er

Zawillow

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm an avid MTB rider and just picked up the Contend SL Disc. Great bike for the money and has full 105 disc brakes for the 2020 model year. It was also the only bike for under 26k I could find with through axles, 11 speed and proper hydraulic discs (not to mention a carbon seat post). I took it to my bike fitter and am super comfortable on it. I'll throw a pair of 32C Panaracers on it in due course for some very light gravel action. If you got this route you won't regret it. I also think it looks bad ass in the dark grey.

Glad to see they've gone the thru-axle route, mine still has QR.

I went 28mm tyres on mine, and through a stroke of luck when I changed the bars to the correct width bars I picked up some Giant SL carbon bars from tehHub classifieds.

Edited by ouzo

That looks really good at the price, and I'm not a fan of gravel bikes or Meridas. I think I'm gonna go have a look at it in store.

DONT YOU DARE ????????????

You would struggle to beat this for value. It's Carbon Fibre 2x11 so you would be able to use this on the road. 1x11 on the road is a bit limiting when trying to keep up with the pure roadies.

https://bike-addict.co.za/collections/gravel-bikes/products/titan-switch-elite-2020

I like what Titan Racing is doing with their range of bikes. Only real negative is that the brakes are mechanical discs. 

This also deserves a looking into if 1x11 with hydraulics are what you would prefer https://bike-addict.co.za/collections/gravel-bikes/products/silverback-siablo-cf-2020

Does the  bike make much difference on the road? I'm asking based on personal experience that as long as you have a bike that fits, and skinny tyres, it makes very little difference. Unlike an MTB where more factors are at play. My ancient 3k aluminium bike is held back by the rider rather than being 2kg over weight and only 9 speed. 

Hi all,

After years riding my MTB I did the CTCT on a borrowed road bike this year - this opened my eyes to the other side. So I'm looking for a new road bike - one could say that I'm starting my n+1 journey. I have very little roadie experience and would appreciate some advice. My criteria (based on bits of input I've received so far):

• Opting for new or demo bike for warranty and peace of mind
  • ~R25k budget
  • Strong preference for Carbon
  • Ideally 105 groupset
  • Bike will spend time on the trainer, longer weekend rides (when I'm not on the MTB) and a few of the more common races during the year 

I've found 3 options that I think will work:

Cannondale SuperSix EVO 105 (New 2020) - R27.5k

https://bike-addict.co.za/collections/road-bikes/products/cannondale-supersix-evo-carbon-105-2020

• I like the looks and meets all criteria, but a little bit more expensive than the other options

Trek Emonda SL5 (Demo 2019) - R25k

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/road-bikes/404010/trek-emonda-sl5-demo-bike

• Good looking bike and I've read good things about it, but its a 2019 model and a demo

Merida Scultura 5000 (New 2020) - R25k

https://www.cyclelab.com/product/merida-scultura-5000

• Some Ultegra components, but not sure about the looks and I'm not a fan of the bright red 
  • Scultura 4000 could also work

Keen to get some opinions between these three options, please let me know your thoughts. 

Thanks in advance. 

I think folks are drifting into their own personal preferences and not adhering to posted spec. Good old Scope creep.

Bike has to work on a trainer. - not all disc brake bikes fit on all trainers. It gets a bit mesy when considering compatibility.

Long weekend rides around Stellenbosch tend to be rather hilly affairs with Paarl, Wellington, Franshoek, Rawsonvile all within easy reach.

Occasional Popular races e.g. Stellenbosch tour, Argus tour, tour de PPA, Coronation DC, One tonner etc.

Does the  bike make much difference on the road? I'm asking based on personal experience that as long as you have a bike that fits, and skinny tyres, it makes very little difference. Unlike an MTB where more factors are at play. My ancient 3k aluminium bike is held back by the rider rather than being 2kg over weight and only 9 speed. 

Let me shoot in here and answer this as I was a "its not about the bike" guy.

For years I've ridden used ali bikes, upgraded bits and bobs on the bike to make it better and more comfortable. I've kept pace in races with much better machinery than what I had and always said as much as I'd like a new bike its not needed.

Then last year a series of events led to an itch and I bought my current Giant Contend. Still an Ali bike and i guess if you look into it probably the equivalent being on the 2018 level of the older bikes I had.

The difference is noticeable in a number of area. Comfort, responsiveness, how it rolls etc.

I pulled out the old bike during lockdown and used it on the IDT and also did a loop on road once the restrictions eased, you can feel the difference right away.

And those are the physical differences, the mental difference that makes you want to ride more is something that not measurable though.

Did I need the new bike ? Heck no. But I equate it to driving my 2005 German sedan day in and day out, you dont need much more and feel like you're not really missing out, then you climb into a modern version of it for a drive and realise just how much things have changed.

Let me shoot in here and answer this as I was a "its not about the bike" guy.

For years I've ridden used ali bikes, upgraded bits and bobs on the bike to make it better and more comfortable. I've kept pace in races with much better machinery than what I had and always said as much as I'd like a new bike its not needed.

Then last year a series of events led to an itch and I bought my current Giant Contend. Still an Ali bike and i guess if you look into it probably the equivalent being on the 2018 level of the older bikes I had.

The difference is noticeable in a number of area. Comfort, responsiveness, how it rolls etc.

I pulled out the old bike during lockdown and used it on the IDT and also did a loop on road once the restrictions eased, you can feel the difference right away.

And those are the physical differences, the mental difference that makes you want to ride more is something that not measurable though.

Did I need the new bike ? Heck no. But I equate it to driving my 2005 German sedan day in and day out, you dont need much more and feel like you're not really missing out, then you climb into a modern version of it for a drive and realise just how much things have changed.

I am going to use this exact speech when I propose my N+1 to the Minister of Finance in a month's time.  :thumbup:  :thumbup: 

I already bought the frame  :ph34r:  :ph34r:   

The fact that you jumped to cars is priceless, since I want to upgrade my 2007 Landy to a new one !! :drool:  :drool:

I am going to use this exact speech when I propose my N+1 to the Minister of Finance in a month's time.  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

I already bought the frame  :ph34r:  :ph34r:   

The fact that you jumped to cars is priceless, since I want to upgrade my 2007 Landy to a new one !! :drool:  :drool:

Hahaha,

Funny enough that series of events that led to the itch had my Minister of Finance in agreement for once. The tipping point was seeing a local garden executive in our 'hood riding the exact same bike I had at the time.

Hmmmmm I don't find that at all. Like my 26er still feels better than any 29er XCO bike 12 years later. Still fast with lots of traction.

My 2002 Pinarello Galileo vs my 2013 Cannondale Super6.... I'll take the Super6 thanks. Take that vs the new Super6 EVO mk III and yikes I'll take the MKIII. MTB development path is much more convoluted with a lot of noise in suspension improvements. 

Go for a ride on either bike and I'll still come home with an average power of 200W but the road is a lot faster or I've gone a lot further. 

Now a gravel bike is kind of in between a MTB and road bike.... no way its going to be as fast as a road bike or as comfortable as the MTB. Its more road bike in comfort and more MTB in speed. doesn't do either job very well which is why it has the casquette wearing wooly legs and face following. Its a niche product.

CAn you ride the Argus on it? Yes you can. Will you PB? highly unlikely unless your previous PB was on a slower bike (MTB).

I get the fad around gravel bikes but its not a road race weapon. I'd have one in a flash but its not going to see a lot of mileage unless its a training bike and that is a great purpose for it. Especially in Cape Town. But it will stay home of the more serious PPA funrides and WPCyling league races. YOu don't take a 747 into a fight with a SU-57

I was in the same position as you and looking at the same bikes. I would go for the cannondale. As mentioned it has won bike of the year awards. From what I read the Edmonda is nice and light too. Edmonda is also full 105 I think. I don’t think you can go wrong with either. I would skip Merida, I’m not a fan.

That being said I actually ended up finding a fantastic deal on a pre owned, hardly used Giant TCR 0 with full Ultegra and I’m beyond happy. If you can wait and hunt around there are amazing deals out there.

Hmmmmm I don't find that at all. Like my 26er still feels better than any 29er XCO bike 12 years later. Still fast with lots of traction.

My 2002 Pinarello Galileo vs my 2013 Cannondale Super6.... I'll take the Super6 thanks. Take that vs the new Super6 EVO mk III and yikes I'll take the MKIII. MTB development path is much more convoluted with a lot of noise in suspension improvements. 

Go for a ride on either bike and I'll still come home with an average power of 200W but the road is a lot faster or I've gone a lot further. 

Now a gravel bike is kind of in between a MTB and road bike.... no way its going to be as fast as a road bike or as comfortable as the MTB. Its more road bike in comfort and more MTB in speed. doesn't do either job very well which is why it has the casquette wearing wooly legs and face following. Its a niche product.

CAn you ride the Argus on it? Yes you can. Will you PB? highly unlikely unless your previous PB was on a slower bike (MTB).

I get the fad around gravel bikes but its not a road race weapon. I'd have one in a flash but its not going to see a lot of mileage unless its a training bike and that is a great purpose for it. Especially in Cape Town. But it will stay home of the more serious PPA funrides and WPCyling league races. YOu don't take a 747 into a fight with a SU-57

Finally, someone talking sense about gravel bikes.

If the OP wants a gravel bike, then cool, that's his choice, but a gravel bike will never perform as well as a road bike does on the road.

Thanks for all the input guys.

I thought about a gravel bike, but ultimately don't want something that can do two things, but isn't the best at either. 

In the end I opted for the Cannondale, but Cannondale SA don't have any in my size in the country. My LBS (Flandria) did a great job of up-selling me though and offered me a good deal on a Giant TCR (as Underachiever predicted). It was a bit above budget, but adds disk brakes - couldn't be happier at the moment. 

post-141694-0-83215200-1591282130_thumb.jpg