New road bike advice for a MTB'er

Zawillow

Thanks for all the input - I'm now even less certain, but in a good way. 

Doesn't look like there is stock of the Cannondale SS Evo in my size, apparently I need a Large (183cm tall with 85cm inseam), but I'm not sure if that's a 56 or 58. Cannondale's website only has a 56 available. 

Philip and Ouzo have got me reconsidering whether I should go for a Gravel bike now - Cannondale Topstone - touch more expensive than the SS Evo, but has disks. I give up the carbon frame though.

https://www.cannondale.co.za/2020road/topstone/cannondale-2020-topstone-alloy-105-gradient.html

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Go get a proper fitting first. I'm 185cm (think 83 inseam) and ride a size 56 Cervelo R3. A 56 Cannondale is too big (too long) for me but the 56 Trek Emonda fits perfectly. (a friend has one). Yes, I'm a bit odd (need a shorter reach as have a long neck).

Point is, don't buy on what the internet says about size.Geometry (especially reach and stack) makes a HUGE difference to comfort.

re the gravel bike, they're great, but in my opinion (I have a Santa Cruz Stigmata too), does not replace a road bike. Yes, you can get an extra wheelset but that'll cost you minimum R10k for a decent set anyway. They're typically a bit heavier than a road bike and 1x gearing isn't great on the road. It isn't bad, but it isn't great. But if you like riding gravel more than road, get a gravel bike. 

Doesn't look like there is stock of the Cannondale SS Evo in my size, apparently I need a Large (183cm tall with 85cm inseam), but I'm not sure if that's a 56 or 58. Cannondale's website only has a 56 available. 

Philip and Ouzo have got me reconsidering whether I should go for a Gravel bike now - Cannondale Topstone - touch more expensive than the SS Evo, but has disks. I give up the carbon frame though.

https://www.cannondale.co.za/2020road/topstone/cannondale-2020-topstone-alloy-105-gradient.html

If you're looking at non carbon then the Giant Contend SL1 Disc will fall nicely into your budget brand new.

Geometry is a nice balance between comfort and aero, 105 parts, hydraulic dics (although it uses a strange Giant only cable to hydraulic conversion).

From your original post, you want the bike to ride on the road, so why buy another bike designed for the dirt? Your mtb ticks that box already.

I realise that a Gravel bike is also competent on the road, but it is still not a road bike and it is still a compromise in terms of road bike performance.

Large is a 56cm. I'm 189cm and on a 58cm (XL).

i bought a scultura 5000 disc in 2017, the black/green model was pretty good looking.

with the purchase I upgraded the crank to ultegra (the rest was already ultegra, so wanted the groupset to match)

since slapped on some enve wheels, but it's a great bike.  I guess you can get something lighter if you tried, but i think i'll keep her.  was a great buy for the price

post-14749-0-00778100-1591076081_thumb.jpg

Edited by rudi-h

Adding to the gravel bike motivation, the geometry and ability to ride large volume road tires is a huge plus for comfort and performance. You almost always get hydraulic disc brakes included in the price, so personally think it’s more economical for the package deal you get.

In terms of bike order, rather than get a friendly road bike, I’d add an aero road bike after the gravel bike. They are super stiff and definitely put another kind of smile on your face

I would start with something like this. I am riding road and MTB and everyone local is switching to one bike they train and mostly ride with, gravel. The mtb has its place but the gravel is so much more versatile, they can keep up with the roadies during the week and on weekends do all the plaas paaie around here. Its more fun than the road bike. My opinion and I dont have a gravle bike.

https://bike-addict.co.za/products/titan-switch-elite-2020?_pos=1&_sid=2f1bb4976&_ss=r

I see you are in Stellies. 

Do yourself a favour and visit Flandria.  Alwyn or Leonardo will show you another few options that is in that price range.

Giant TCR comes to mind...

Do yourself a favour and visit Flandria.  Alwyn or Leonardo will show you another few options that is in that price range.

I have two TCR's. (I didn't know we were allowed to offer suggestions other than the OP's shortlist. I would have said Giant all the way) Edited by TNT1

I have two TCR's.

Very cool!!

2004 Giant TCR Composite - my training bike

2012 Giant TCR Adv SL ISP - my racing bike

2020 Giant TCR Pro (the GvA gold frame) - getting built up as we speak, 

2014 Giant Anthem

2012 Giant XtC

2008 Giant Talon

cannondale.com says that the 56 cm is suitable for a rider 177cm-187cm

the 58cm is suitable for a rider 182cm -193cm

I'd say you'd be ok on the 56cm with a 110cm stem

A gravel bike is not a nice thing to try and improve your Argus time on. They're considerably heavier and much less responsive. If you want to go that way you may as well consider a hardtail with a aero farrbar and narrower tyres.

Horses for course. Want to go faster get a faster bike

I've been on the phone with them already, will pop in later today.

I've been on the phone with them already, will pop in later today.

Great stuff, I hope you come right. 

They will also do a nice bike fit for you. 

Both owners are legends and hugely experienced!!

If you're looking at non carbon then the Giant Contend SL1 Disc will fall nicely into your budget brand new.

Geometry is a nice balance between comfort and aero, 105 parts, hydraulic dics (although it uses a strange Giant only cable to hydraulic conversion).

I'm an avid MTB rider and just picked up the Contend SL Disc. Great bike for the money and has full 105 disc brakes for the 2020 model year. It was also the only bike for under 26k I could find with through axles, 11 speed and proper hydraulic discs (not to mention a carbon seat post). I took it to my bike fitter and am super comfortable on it. I'll throw a pair of 32C Panaracers on it in due course for some very light gravel action. If you got this route you won't regret it. I also think it looks bad ass in the dark grey.

Edited by the_bob