New road bike advice for a MTB'er

Zawillow

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the input guys.

I thought about a gravel bike, but ultimately don't want something that can do two things, but isn't the best at either. 

In the end I opted for the Cannondale, but Cannondale SA don't have any in my size in the country. My LBS (Flandria) did a great job of up-selling me though and offered me a good deal on a Giant TCR (as Underachiever predicted). It was a bit above budget, but adds disk brakes - couldn't be happier at the moment. 

attachicon.gifab25fe58-2495-4522-b274-70876bbfe9fb.jpg

Super happy for you!!! Many safe and enjoyable miles!!!

Next stop is to get you road pedals.... 

Then..to add a bit of colour.  Bright blue handlebar tape?  Or my fav - pink....

Edited by Underachiever

Thanks for all the input guys.

I thought about a gravel bike, but ultimately don't want something that can do two things, but isn't the best at either.

In the end I opted for the Cannondale, but Cannondale SA don't have any in my size in the country. My LBS (Flandria) did a great job of up-selling me though and offered me a good deal on a Giant TCR (as Underachiever predicted). It was a bit above budget, but adds disk brakes - couldn't be happier at the moment.

ab25fe58-2495-4522-b274-70876bbfe9fb.jpg

That black on black on black on black ????????

Super happy for you!!! Many safe and enjoyable miles!!!

Next stop is to get you road pedals.... 

Then..to add a bit of colour.  Bright blue handlebar tape?  Or my fav - pink....

And to get the saddle replaced by something that isn't inspired by a cactus.

Love that new TCR. That one is so incredibly well priced for what it is. Giant really are hitting it out the park with their bikes right now. They've always been bang for buck. Now they are Bangin!

And to get the saddle replaced by something that isn't inspired by a cactus.

Love that new TCR. That one is so incredibly well priced for what it is. Giant really are hitting it out the park with their bikes right now. They've always been bang for buck. Now they are Bangin!

and the colour schemes are at last exciting to look at. They should also rename the high end bikes Cadex

They should also rename the high end bikes Cadex

It's like back to the future.

Their first high end bikes and my first Giant was a Cadex.

It's like back to the future.

Their first high end bikes and my first Giant was a Cadex.

Exactly. They will never kill the perception that GIANT is just a value brand. They need to revive Cadex to create a Halo brand that showcases what they can do at compete with other high tech high quality brands

Congrats with the new bike! I love my tcr. Best bike I have owned so far????????

That black with white trim is rad... Don't get bling anything unless you're a pikey chav..  :ph34r:

Black and white is boss.

I do suggest road shoes and pedals though down the line, but for now get out and enjoy!

WHAT HE SAID....
great bike love mine.

That black with white trim is rad... Don't get bling anything unless you're a pikey chav..  :ph34r:

Black and white is boss.

I do suggest road shoes and pedals though down the line, but for now get out and enjoy!

Black and white is boss.

Black is always my go too colour. Easy to mix and match my kit to not clash with the bike

Black is always my go too colour. Easy to mix and match my kit to not clash with the bike

Going to be honest here, the only time I worry what kit I'm riding in is for a race, every other time its what ever is available and clean when I reach into my cupboard.

So I want to jump on this advice bandwagon, after this thread and another friend recently getting a road bike to supplement his MTB habit, I have been seriously considering getting a road or gravel bike, I am leaning more towards a gravel bike just for the comfort factor, and I am not looking to be a competitive rider, or chasing down PB's, but I also want to save my MTB for the trails as it is wasted on the road and the tar chows tyres.

I have a handful of bikes in mind, but would like some input from more experienced riders, mainly on groupset choices, my budget makes a HARD STOP at R15k, above a posted that Merida silex 400 which is probably an amazing deal, but if I can spend less and still get a good bike that would be great, my list for gravel bikes at the moment is

Merida Silex 400

Merida Silex 200

Momsen GP300

But what road bikes are there in my price range that have clearance for bigger tyres? I have seen the Scott Speedster has decent clearance, but price to spec seems a bit high

Edit - I am also open to getting a used bike...

Edited by Chadvdw67