Does this seem a bit a far fetched?

Markellis

the only volvo worth buying for R600k is probably one that cost R1.2mil literally yesterday haha

just remember that it will only be worth buying for R300k tomorrow by the next guy.

:whistling:

Edited by morneS555

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the only volvo worth buying for R600k is probably one that cost R1.2mil literally yesterday haha

just remember that it will only be worth buying for R300k tomorrow by the next guy.

:whistling:

I' m glad you put that emoji in at the bottom, I was about to launch into a long explanation. 

Unfortunately this is a legacy that we seem to be stuck with.

I' m glad you put that emoji in at the bottom, I was about to launch into a long explanation. 

Sadly so.

Sadly so.

Its only a legacy in people minds though, if you start comparing resale values of cars in the segment they all suffer equal amounts of depreciation. And depending on spec/variant some cars depreciate a heck of a lot faster than others.

Its only a legacy in people minds though, if you start comparing resale values of cars in the segment they all suffer equal amounts of depreciation. And depending on spec/variant some cars depreciate a heck of a lot faster than others.

haha yes it was in jest but...

yes and no though?...i've sold a fortuner and a polo for a net profit in both instances. 

yes they are basically the two best selling cars in this country...but they have the reliability and track record, cost of service etc etc to back it up. You have to agree thats something that doesn't just happen...it happens over years and years and years of proven success. Also why you won't see a real farmer driving around a vw amarok...or a raptor..or a bt50. those are yuppy bakkies... better offerings than toyota's sometimes agricultural offerings....but made for the "metro man" and his ego more than anything else.

My father in law is a retired farmer and in his mind you use hilux bakkies and john deer tractors if you don't want to buy new vehicles every year....something he had to learn the expensive way throughout his life.

I agree about the legacy thing. i love volvo's too, i drool over them regularly, i'd have me a v40 anyday of the week (if someone else baught it for me haha).

Perception is unfortunately enough to determine what genpop are willing to pay for a car second hand. i feel the same way about renaults....hell, all french and italian cars...even ferraris. They make pretty cars and sometimes fast ones but thats about it.  You won't know the pain of owning an italian car until you've owned an alfa. 

Also...volvo dont even have a motosport program anymore. Those are marketing tools for this exact reason.

Look at how mercedes' recent exploits in formula 1 have changed their image from "unreliable old mans car" to the THE must have thing for the new 'GTi generation'. Toyota are doing similar things in endurance racing, rallying and the Dakar that plays to their target market. it reinforces that legacy. Volvo has nothing in that regards anymore....they used to have the "safest car in the world thing" but thats all standard across the board now....and it's a perfect example of how complacency can screw you over in the long run imo.

and PS: we are close friends with 2 actual swedes...and even they think volvos are crap lol

Edited by morneS555

haha yes it was in jest but...

yes and no though?...i've sold a fortuner and a polo for a net profit in both instances. 

yes they are basically the two best selling cars in this country...but they have the reliability and track record, cost of service etc etc to back it up. You have to agree thats something that doesn't just happen...it happens over years and years and years of proven success. Also why you won't see a real farmer driving around a vw amarok...or a raptor..or a bt50. those are yuppy bakkies... better offerings than toyota's sometimes agricultural offerings....but made for the "metro man" and his ego more than anything else.

My father in law is a retired farmer and in his mind you use hilux bakkies and john deer tractors if you don't want to buy new vehicles every year....something he had to learn the expensive way throughout his life.

I agree about the legacy thing. i love volvo's too, i drool over them regularly, i'd have me a v40 anyday of the week (if someone else baught it for me haha).

Perception is unfortunately enough to determine what genpop are willing to pay for a car second hand. i feel the same way about renaults....hell, all french and italian cars...even ferraris. They make pretty cars and sometimes fast ones but thats about it.  You won't know the pain of owning an italian car until you've owned an alfa. 

Also...volvo dont even have a motosport program anymore. Those are marketing tools for this exact reason.

Look at how mercedes' recent exploits in formula 1 have changed their image from "unreliable old mans car" to the THE must have thing for the new 'GTi generation'. Toyota are doing similar things in endurance racing, rallying and the Dakar that plays to their target market. it reinforces that legacy. Volvo has nothing in that regards anymore....they used to have the "safest car in the world thing" but thats all standard across the board now....and it's a perfect example of how complacency can screw you over in the long run imo.

and PS: we are close friends with 2 actual swedes...and even they think volvos are crap lol

I could counter a number of your points, but whats the point, peoples perceptions are there and I believe our marketing is not geared to changing their perceptions, I can try, but I'm a lone voice shouting into the wind.

Plus this is a cycling forum, if anyone wants to chat Volvo they can pm me and take it offline, I dont want to spam the forum

I could counter a number of your points, but whats the point, peoples perceptions are there and I believe our marketing is not geared to changing their perceptions, I can try, but I'm a lone voice shouting into the wind.

Plus this is a cycling forum, if anyone wants to chat Volvo they can pm me and take it offline, I dont want to spam the forum

So you saying Volvo is spam??? :P 

^in summary we sort of agree but the 'problem' is right at the top:

- "Volvo agrees that the brand that bills itself on safety now needs to go further. What about buyers interested in performance? 

"We have already lost them." CEO Hakan Samuelsson says Volvo wants to attract customers who think it's important to drive safe."

not very sexy and also not how you attract young money.

anyway, I digress.

Edited by morneS555

^in summary we sort of agree but the 'problem' is right at the top:

- "Volvo agrees that the brand that bills itself on safety now needs to go further. What about buyers interested in performance? 

"We have already lost them." CEO Hakan Samuelsson says Volvo wants to attract customers who think it's important to drive safe."

not very sexy and also not how you attract young money.

anyway, I digress.

yep, all new vehicle now speed limited to 180km/h. I wont tell you how the average South African has commented on that bit.

. Also why you won't see a real farmer driving around a vw amarok...or a raptor..or a bt50. those are yuppy bakkies... better offerings than toyota's sometimes agricultural offerings....but made for the "metro man" and his ego more than anything else.

lol

Amarok, Raptor and BT50 are all aimed at a niche market, and that niche is positioned very far away from the agricultureal market. All three only available as double cabs.

It's akin to saying you don't see many Road bikes in Jonkershoek. Not the right tool for the job.

VW and Mazda also don't have a strong dealership network in the platteland. If you see a lot of the same brand in a town, I will bet that there is a good dealership nearby.

You do see a lot of Ford Rangers on farms, essentially a Mazda, built in the same factory as Raptor.

The last non-yuppie Hilux was the d4d, but that ship has sailed.

Amarok, Raptor and BT50 are all aimed at a niche market, and that niche is positioned very far away from the agricultureal market. All three only available as double cabs.

It's akin to saying you don't see many Road bikes in Jonkershoek. Not the right tool for the job.

VW and Mazda also don't have a strong dealership network in the platteland. If you see a lot of the same brand in a town, I will bet that there is a good dealership nearby.

You do see a lot of Ford Rangers on farms, essentially a Mazda, built in the same factory as Raptor.

The last non-yuppie Hilux was the d4d, but that ship has sailed.

and that's a recent thing.

Ford has had to open a lot of country and district dealerships to tap into the whitehilux only option

Kudos to you for evening still believing in the brand concidering how they have been dealing with their salesman in these trying times. But that is probably down to the individual dealership.

I remember you were also very passionate about Hyundai when you still sold their cars.

Good luck. Can't be easy trying to sell Volvos now. My neighbour is a DP at a Hyundai dealership. Even now he is building and renovating so it can't be to bad for everyone out there.

Edited by Jaws677

Kudos to you for evening still believing in the brand concidering how they have been dealing with their salesman in these trying times. But that is probably down to the individual dealership.

I remember you were also very passionate about Hyundai when you still sold their cars.

Good luck. Can't be easy trying to sell Volvos now. My neighbour is a DP at a Hyundai dealership. Even now he is building and renovating so it can't be to bad for everyone out there.

Just because the dealership treats the people badly doesnt mean the product is bad, my sister has a Volvo in her driveway, and if I could afford to there would be one in my driveway. Right now there isnt even a company supplied Volvo in my driveway as I've decided to hand it back temporarily and save on the perks tax.

I still believe in the Hyundai product, they are good for their market segment, the Korean ethos at the top is good, but locally they wont ever see me under their employment again.

Best part about owning a Volvo is it won't get stolen.  

Worst part is like the their old slogan, it's for life  - only way to pass it on is back to the dealer and into another volvo commitment and it can hurt.  But the same can be said of most cars

Love them, wouldn't buy again unless I could find a mint V70 or 850, I have a really soft spot for an old stationwagon